Chat about Equipment Info
 #99020  by TI4-1009
 Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:08 pm
Can you connect an ohmmeter to the two lugs of the pot and rotate the pot to see what the resistance does? Steady, smooth change or jumping all over?
 #99028  by Rusty the Scoob
 Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:59 am
I didn't have an ohm meter with me at band practice but the pot is a nice CTS pot... worth swapping perhaps but in theory it should be a quality item. The solder joints looked a little grey rather than shiny, indicating a cold solder joint, but they all looked the same and no cracks were visible. The pot and jacks were all solidly mounted, no wiggling.

I guess I'll pack a soldering iron and ohm meter on Friday, just in case...
 #99049  by Rusty the Scoob
 Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:08 am
:shock: Yeah... I'm torn between cleaning up all the solder joints ahead of time and letting sleeping dogs lie since it's working fine now. If the gig were a month away I'd solder it, no question, but it's on Friday, no margin for error if something goes wrong.

Plus I kinda hate even touching that guitar, especially with tools, it's too nice. :shock:
 #99058  by keirweir
 Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:27 am
So... I re-tested the entire rig this am for an hour. I plugged and unplugged the inputs, rolled the tone knob back and forth, playing clean and OBEL and any other test I could think of. It worked perfectly... I am 99.99% sure that by the second or first tune the guitar will shit the bed. Unfortunately my personal life is so hectic right now I have literally no time to take the guitar anywhere.
I called Resurrection to ask him about the issue. He suggested I get some contact cleaner at Radio Shack and give the pot a quick shot while turning the knob. He said it’s possible that a speck of metal got in the pot and was sitting in a bad place causing the issue. After Mr Scoob and I opened the back and played around with it, the guitar has worked fine.

After this gig I will re-visit the pot issue... Also, Dan if you recall, the last time I broke out my backup (strat with Piezo) the electric guitar jack barely worked... Looks like my backup is a piezo

BTW - Pat is bringing some sick guitars to the Gear Expo
Last edited by keirweir on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #99061  by keirweir
 Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 am
playingdead wrote:Man up and use the bridge pickup if you have to :evil:
I'll grab the mic Tony Bennet style if I have to!

When the signal went dead the entire gutiar died not just the PU.
 #99065  by mijknahs
 Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 am
I've sometimes thought about replacing my tone knob with a 3 way mini-toggle switch. First position would be no change, second is like the tone half way down and third like the tone all the way down (horn effect). Sometimes it seems like a waste of time cranking that knob and those are about the only positions I ever use on it anyway (half off and all the way down).
 #99069  by strumminsix
 Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:01 pm
mijknahs wrote:I've sometimes thought about replacing my tone knob with a 3 way mini-toggle switch. First position would be no change, second is like the tone half way down and third like the tone all the way down (horn effect). Sometimes it seems like a waste of time cranking that knob and those are about the only positions I ever use on it anyway (half off and all the way down).
pssst, break out your soldering iron:
http://www.stellartone.com/Page.asp?NavID=50
 #99105  by jackr
 Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:12 am
keirweir wrote: BTW - Pat is bringing some sick guitars to the Gear Expo
Which expo is that?
 #99106  by playingdead
 Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:23 am
keirweir wrote:When the signal went dead the entire gutiar died not just the PU.
That doesn't sound like a problem with the tone pot, that sounds like a problem with the buffer or the output jacks.

Here's the info on the expo:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=343&t=10521
 #99124  by keirweir
 Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:32 am
playingdead wrote:
keirweir wrote:When the signal went dead the entire gutiar died not just the PU.
That doesn't sound like a problem with the tone pot, that sounds like a problem with the buffer or the output jacks.

Here's the info on the expo:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=343&t=10521
I'll take a look at the connections on the buffer and go from there!
 #99537  by keirweir
 Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:57 am
eeeeee wrote:How did it go?
The evening went fantastic with no issues whatsoever (not inluding breaking a string).

I have played the rig at least 8 times since the FAIL and haven't experienced any issues at all. I can say, the K-120's mic'd on my Twin sounded like a golden angel spewing sunlight riddled with gold dust... :shock:

I'm still playing with fire here... I'm having a baby in August and will be taking a couple months off from gigging (Ideally one month :-) ) and may have my gutiar re-wired to Tiger specs by AO Guitars.


I have a gig this weekend so I'm walking on eggshells :|