#92516  by vwdeadhead
 Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:29 am
What is the difference. I have a cab that allows me to either have it all off, half off or a full closed cabinet. I am right now using it half closed. Anyone have any thoughts on what they think is the best idea etc.
 #92519  by Tennessee Jedi
 Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 am
Jerry was a open guy ,,,,,
You might not be going for that sound though ....
My 2 x 12 is open back ... I like it
:D
 #92520  by tcsned
 Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:42 am
the open back cabs tend to be brighter and the closed are beefier (more reflecting sound in the cab). The half open half closed kinda splits the difference.
 #92521  by vwdeadhead
 Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:43 am
Awesome Thank you guys, always used tube amps until now and really interested. I just got this all set up last week so still experimenting. The sound is unreal coming from this thing. The highs get a bit high though so I am trying to counter act that. Still need to get everything dialed in on the head as well :-)
 #92546  by Cmnaround
 Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:39 pm
I have a closed 2x12 that is ported - so maybe a little of both, but much closer to closed. Great low end and thump, especially on low strings or palm mutes - just shakes the room. However I usually am not playing with others so it sounds fine - with a bass player and some drums to fill the low end, perhaps the higher end from the open cab is better and the bass player won't get upset that you may be muddying up the lower end.
 #92548  by Tennessee Jedi
 Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:54 pm
Cmnaround wrote:I have a closed 2x12 that is ported - so maybe a little of both, but much closer to closed. Great low end and thump, especially on low strings or palm mutes - just shakes the room. However I usually am not playing with others so it sounds fine - with a bass player and some drums to fill the low end, perhaps the higher end from the open cab is better and the bass player won't get upset that you may be muddying up the lower end.
Checked out your myspace and listened to sugar mags .... very good !
Another PA guy too !
Sweet .....
:D