#87337  by strumminsix
 Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 am
mkaufman wrote:Esau - no
Bucket - no

Anything newer than 1979 (?), probably not.

Lame, I know, however, I'm a 70's type of guy. 8)

mk
I too prefer the 70s but I've run out of 70s tunes less Money Money. Know but haven't performed Prelude>WRS.

So now my fingers and mind need more and more challenges and songs for that matter! Plus I'm digging into nuances.

Have you ever noticed that "All New Minglewood Blues" (starts on A) omits the "T for Texas" verse??
 #87352  by tigerstrat
 Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 am
strumminsix wrote:Have you ever noticed that "All New Minglewood Blues" (starts on A) omits the "T for Texas" verse??
I believe you mean "New, New".

"New, New" (from the debut LP) shares no lyrics with "All New" (from Shakedown LP), except the "Born in a desert" verse.
 #87359  by strumminsix
 Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:27 am
tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Have you ever noticed that "All New Minglewood Blues" (starts on A) omits the "T for Texas" verse??
I believe you mean "New, New".

"New, New" (from the debut LP) shares no lyrics with "All New" (from Shakedown LP), except the "Born in a desert" verse.
No, New New has the "if you can't believe me" and "if you're ever in Memphis" and is C

"All New was" on Shakedown starts on the A and had many performances as such and shares:
"I was born in a desert,"
"Well I'm a wanted man in Texas,"
"Yes and the doctor call me crazy," (sometimes I am, sometimes I aint)
"I was born in a desert,"

One-ff:
"Couple Shots of Whiskey" (heard only once or so on ANMB)

Omitted are:
"T for Texas" (never heard it on ANMB)
 #87362  by tigerstrat
 Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm
NEW, NEW ('66'-'71)

I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
My number one occupation, stealin' women from their men

If you're ever in Memphis, better stop by Minglewood
If you're ever in Memphis, better stop by Minglewood
Oh now, take a walk downtown there, all the women sure look good

Well, if you can't believe me, gona make it hard to believe in you
I said, if you can't believe me, gona make it hard to believe in you
Cause we all need each other, well oh you know it's true


I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
My number one occupation, stealin' women from their men

ALL NEW ('76-'95):

I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
My number one occupation, stealin' women from their men

Well, I'm a wanted man in Texas, busted jail and I gone for good
Well, I'm a wanted man in Texas, busted jail and I gone for good
Well the sheriff couldn't catch me, but his little girl sure wished she could

Now the doctor called me crazy, some says I am some says I ain't
Now the doctor called me crazy, some says I am some says I ain't
Yes and the preacher man call me sinner, but his little girl call me a saint

Well, a couple shots of whiskey, women round here start looking good
Well, a couple shots of whiskey, women round here start looking good
A couple more shots of whiskey, I'm going down to Minglewood

Well it's T for Texas, Yes and It's T for Timbuktu
Well it's T for Texas, Yes and It's T for Timbuktu
Yea, and it's T right here in {insert place},
where the little girls know what to do

I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
I was born in the desert, raised in a lion's den
My number one occupation, stealin' women from their men
(And I'll do it, do it again...)
 #87368  by strumminsix
 Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 pm
Disagree, dude.

New New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 60s
--> Key of C
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert" "if you can't believe me" and "if you're ever in Memphis"

All New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 70s
--> "Key" of A (all verses start on A)
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert", "Well I'm a wanted man in Texas,", "Yes and the doctor call me crazy,"

New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 70s
--> "Key" of E (first and last verses start on E, all others A)
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert", "Well I'm a wanted man in Texas,", "Yes and the doctor call me crazy," "couple shots of whisky", "T for Texas"
 #87369  by tigerstrat
 Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:00 pm
strumminsix wrote:Disagree, dude.

New New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 60s
--> Key of C
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert" "if you can't believe me" and "if you're ever in Memphis"

All New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 70s
--> "Key" of A (all verses start on A)
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert", "Well I'm a wanted man in Texas,", "Yes and the doctor call me crazy,"

New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 70s
--> "Key" of E (first and last verses start on E, all others A)
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert", "Well I'm a wanted man in Texas,", "Yes and the doctor call me crazy," "couple shots of whisky", "T for Texas"
that finally looks correct. is the middle one the studio version? what did I post that was incorrect?
 #87370  by tigerstrat
 Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:09 pm
strumminsix wrote:Disagree, dude.

New New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 60s
--> Key of C
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert" "if you can't believe me" and "if you're ever in Memphis"

All New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 70s
--> "Key" of A (all verses start on A)
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert", "Well I'm a wanted man in Texas,", "Yes and the doctor call me crazy,"

New Minglewood Blues, as played in the 70s
--> "Key" of E (first and last verses start on E, all others A)
--> contains the following verses: "i was born in a desert", "Well I'm a wanted man in Texas,", "Yes and the doctor call me crazy," "couple shots of whisky", "T for Texas"
oh I see what you are saying:

76 to 7/1/79 is the middle version;
8/4/79 they begin doing the static E intro & outro verses and the whiskey verse... sometime in the following month, they add the T for Texas verse
 #87375  by tigerstrat
 Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:33 pm
mkaufman wrote:Maybe this should be moved to a different topic?
I agree, but continue... Strummin' I'm kinda wondering why you have designated the last version as NMB instead of ANMB? I think at some point the extra descriptors were dropped and the simpler "New Minglewood" just became an all-inclusive shorthand that has been used on most of the live releases,including ones from 60's, 70's and 80's AFAICT.
 #87384  by strumminsix
 Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:53 am
tigerstrat wrote:
mkaufman wrote:Maybe this should be moved to a different topic?
I agree, but continue... Strummin' I'm kinda wondering why you have designated the last version as NMB instead of ANMB? I think at some point the extra descriptors were dropped and the simpler "New Minglewood" just became an all-inclusive shorthand that has been used on most of the live releases,including ones from 60's, 70's and 80's AFAICT.
Agreed. I'll bust it out later today when I have a few minutes.

ANMB starts on the A chord, NMB starts on the E chord, that's how I first learned it when I started trading and from a musician point of view the A of ANMB works well with the A start. Actually with trading it was ANMB is when Bobby starts with the vocals before the first chord or no death march :)
 #87410  by tigerstrat
 Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:09 am
strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
mkaufman wrote:Maybe this should be moved to a different topic?
I agree, but continue... Strummin' I'm kinda wondering why you have designated the last version as NMB instead of ANMB? I think at some point the extra descriptors were dropped and the simpler "New Minglewood" just became an all-inclusive shorthand that has been used on most of the live releases,including ones from 60's, 70's and 80's AFAICT.
Agreed. I'll bust it out later today when I have a few minutes.

ANMB starts on the A chord, NMB starts on the E chord, that's how I first learned it when I started trading and from a musician point of view the A of ANMB works well with the A start. Actually with trading it was ANMB is when Bobby starts with the vocals before the first chord or no death march :)
NMB is what the GD use on ALL live releases, whichever of the three(four?) versions are contained. The "death march" (lol) 80's Minglewood was never given an "official" title, but it obvs has way more in common with ANMB as done on Shakedown LP, and is pretty much an embellished version of that. IMHO, it's way easier and more "fool-proof" to just refer to "60's"(66-71) "70s"(76-mid 79) or "80's"(post-8/79)versions... or the transitional August 79 ones. :lol:
 #104620  by strumminsix
 Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm
TS - heard a "transitional minglewood" today on XM
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1979-0 ... eok.flac16

Intro was an E vamp then a straight ||: A G E | % | B E | E :|| after that!

Born in a desert
Wanted man in Texas
Solos
Dr. calls me crazy (some sez I am, some sez I ain't)
Couple shots of Whiskey
Solos
Born in a desert
 #104626  by Phil Lesh101
 Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:46 pm
We play it key of E : Born in a desert.
Wanted man in Texas.
The Doctor calls me crazy.
Couple shots of whiskey.
T for texas.
Born in a desert.
x So the New Minglewood?