#21570  by jamhead6

For 6 years I have been listening and playing along to the dead. I, like most people, mostly listened to and wanted to play like jerry. But recently Ive tried to listen to Bob as much as possible, and I think he is one of the greatest guitarists I have ever heard. Does anyone know a good book or website that is a good guide to playing rythym guitar like him? The interlude in Not fade Away>GDTRFB on the live disc "Greatful Dead" is insane.

#21594  by Shaggy

I reckon Bob is a perfect example of someone coming up with a totaly original approach and style to his playing. Going back I think he simply had no other choice, a basic rock guitar chord grinder would not have cut it in the GD and the GD would not have become what they did had Bob been just another of those. For that he deserves a heap of praise - sometimes people forget how good Bob was/still is.

#21598  by shakedown_04092

Shaggy wrote:I reckon Bob is a perfect example of someone coming up with a totaly original approach and style to his playing. Going back I think he simply had no other choice, a basic rock guitar chord grinder would not have cut it in the GD and the GD would not have become what they did had Bob been just another of those. For that he deserves a heap of praise - sometimes people forget how good Bob was/still is.
That about sums it up right there. Couldn't have said it better. :cool:
 #21600  by Laytonco

Hey folks,
If you find a book or figure it out, let me know. I've been playing Bobby in various forms for 20 years, and I certainly haven't figured it out. Here's the deal though, learn the obvious parts by listening to the shows...lots and lots of them. There is a "right" part for China, Scarlet and others. But then, play along with the bootlegs. Make your own stuff up! That's what I do. It's more fun that way when you can listen to one of your own shows and think, "Cool, I made that one up and it sounded good!"

Peace,

Gil

#21614  by IamDocWatson

just do everything that doesnt come naturally, take your standard strumming pattern and swing it all over the place, invert your chords and decorate them all pretty, have dyslexia, play rhythm melodies, dont get in the way but dont get pushed out of the way, chirp and squeal and get some birkenstocks...thatll do it