#175671  by reeddevon@gmail.com

Hello everyone! I'm doing an Alligator replica and apologize if this has been answered. I know the tuning machines are Schaller® M6 90 Chrome-Plated Die-Cast Tuners with Large Buttons. On the Schaller site there are three post lengths: 19.7 / 21.7 / 23.7. That measurement is from the bottom of the head stock to the string hole.

https://schaller.info/en/m6-90/1005

The standard ones that retailers (Stewmac for example) sell are 28.78 measured from the bottom of the head stock to the top of the peg.

Would you just purchase this tallest one which appears to be the standard tuners from StewMac?

https://www.stewmac.com/shop-by-brand/s ... r-machines
 #175676  by TI4-1009

I'd go for the shortest ones that will work for your configuration, particularly for a Strat/Alligator with a flatter headstock. On my two Jerry builds using Schallers the issue was the string angle not being steep enough.
 #175678  by Chocol8

reeddevon@gmail.com wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:58 pm Thanks for the reply. Do you think that still matters with the button tree for the high e and b strings and then with the brass retainer for the remaining strings?
Yes! The less change in angle the better.
 #175679  by lbpesq

I always thought the more change in angle the better. That’s why Strats have string trees and Alligator added the Footmans Loop to increase the break angle of the GDAE strings over the nut.

Bill, tgo
 #175681  by Chocol8

lbpesq wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:41 pm I always thought the more change in angle the better. That’s why Strats have string trees and Alligator added the Footmans Loop to increase the break angle of the GDAE strings over the nut.

Bill, tgo
There needs to be an angle at the nut, but more is not really better and a second angle back up after the loop and string trees is historically accurate but not good. It increases risk of binding tuning issues and string breakages.

The reason for the loop on Alligator was the tuners were too high so they needed to get the strings down below the nut. There are some pictures of the real Alligator as well as the Fender Masterbuilt copies that look like the strings could actually float above the nut without the loop and string tees!
TI4-1009 liked this
 #175687  by TI4-1009

Curious to see how they work out.

Also curious to see if the forum is still working!!