#130085  by softmachine72
 Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:51 pm
Any one out there wanting to build there own tiger of rosebud better acquire the wood, while it is still available. Prices have increased significantly. I heard about a year ago that the Chinese had an open order for 1,000,000 bd. ft of cocobolo and have noticed that the thick material is harder and harder to find. This is one of many schemes the PRC is using to hedge against the devaluing 3 trillion dollar T bill portfolio. Just a friendly heads up .
 #130092  by TI4-1009
 Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:30 am
Appendix II – This appendix contains species that are at risk in the wild, but not necessarily threatened with extinction. Species in this appendix are closely regulated, but are typically not as restricted as Appendix I.

Cocobolo added 6/12/13

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic ... d-species/
 #130099  by softmachine72
 Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 pm
spoke with Marty Talcove the owner At Tropical exotic Hardwoods and that jives with what he said. He told me they cleared out the saw mill in Mexico to beat the date. They are the only place I have found that has the 8/4 and above material. Which you need if you want to use the same piece for the whole guitar .He said there will be a special import permitting process but, it could Take several years. If any one knows a place that has large material besides Hearrn hardwoods and West Penn Please Share.
Leo SFG
 #130127  by TI4-1009
 Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:10 am
Damn, I may have to decommission the old opium bed... :lol:
 #130547  by Mandoborg
 Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:05 pm
So how long until they start using ' Photo-Bolo' !!!
Guess i better hang on to what i have here for those 'special' projects........... it sucks, my son is going to be building guitars out of cardboard when he gets older...........
 #133070  by Jimaroe
 Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:30 pm
I just love Cocobolo. From it's aesthetic qualities to its sound projection, just a wonderful wood species. Of course, I'm not a builder so I cannot speak to some of the rumors I've heard/read about its dust being a bit of an allergy/itch inducer for those that work with it. However, I did purchase a OO SP Coco Huss & Dalton from Lefty Guitars Only (Playin Dead/Vic) and it is just the most beautiful sounding, comfortable guitar. For a small bodied guitar, it is abnormally loud and I would venture that the Cocobolo has much to do with its projection.