#115985  by redeyedjim
 Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:16 am
This is a question I've been meaning to ask for a while, and my guess is that one of you just knows this sort of thing cold: What amp (and other relevant bits) is Jerry using with Legion of Mary for the Spring 1975 dates, specifically 5-21-75 (Keystone, Berkeley)? For example, I've long been fascinated with the performance of Tough Mama from that show:

In his solos, is that the early Boogie I'm hearing, pushed towards its limits? His tone in the above clip sounds both hot and clipped, if not outright stiff, and he just makes it sing. This may be my favorite version of this tune, and I'd love to know the equipment side of how he got that tone. I already get the "Jerry" part of this equation.

Thanks for any insight :smile:
 #115999  by redeyedjim
 Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 pm
Thanks -- those thoughts on the pickups and the Bean are interesting -- I'd thought about it being the Bean, but hadn't considered that the humbuckers might be wired in parallel.

Does anyone know which amp (or amp/preamp) was he using for LOM?
 #116083  by Grant
 Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:37 am
This is Wolf guys - the Bean wasn't round til September.

That show is one of my favourite AUDs.

Sounds to me like simply wolf > twin > mac, with the 'blaster cranked in louder sections.

I think the Boogie (and the Distortion+) came sometime in the summer as these can be heard on One From The Vault (August 13).

Seems like the Wolf/ TB transition roughly coincided with the end of LOM and beginning of the JGB
 #116215  by tigerstrat
 Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:26 am
It's going to be Wolf with S-S-S pickups, but I believe the Boogie Mk I (or Super 60) is probably used here: it is seen in pics from 3/23/75, as well as BFA recording sessions at Weir's house from February and/or March.