Chat about Equipment Info
 #102519  by inthedark
 Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:15 pm
What are ur fav single coil pickups ?

Ive been really liking the SSL-1 SD pickups in my G&L.

-Walt
 #102541  by Grant
 Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:25 pm
Kinmans and Fralins. Honorable mention to Jason Lollar
 #102549  by strumminsix
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:09 am
Anything in a Tele :lol:

In all seriousness, I've got some True Velvets by Dimarzio in a parts-Tele I put together and WOW if they aren't AWESOME!!!
 #102557  by wleeds
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:05 am
i'm lovin' the SUHR FL's in one strat and 57/62's in another. The FL's are little punchier in the mids
 #102566  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:45 pm
wleeds wrote:i'm lovin' the SUHR FL's in one strat and 57/62's in another. The FL's are little punchier in the mids
Question about single coil guitars: I have a great 2 humbucker guitar (Vantage) and I have a Schecter/Jerry (3 super 2's, buffer, OBEL) that nails the Jerry sound. What I'm wanting now is a three single coil guitar. I was wondering what you would suggest. I've been specking out a carvin neck through, hard tail, strings thru, with 3 single coils and a 5 way lever switch. Totally strat style except for tremelo, which I don't need. It's around $800. I've also been looking at hard tail strats and tremelo strats around that price range. Actually a bit more like $1000 (seems Fender costs a little more because it says Fender on it). What are your thoughts? Any suggestions or recomendations would be greatly appreciated! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #102569  by strumminsix
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:28 pm
hippieguy1954 wrote:
wleeds wrote:i'm lovin' the SUHR FL's in one strat and 57/62's in another. The FL's are little punchier in the mids
Question about single coil guitars: I have a great 2 humbucker guitar (Vantage) and I have a Schecter/Jerry (3 super 2's, buffer, OBEL) that nails the Jerry sound. What I'm wanting now is a three single coil guitar. I was wondering what you would suggest. I've been specking out a carvin neck through, hard tail, strings thru, with 3 single coils and a 5 way lever switch. Totally strat style except for tremelo, which I don't need. It's around $800. I've also been looking at hard tail strats and tremelo strats around that price range. Actually a bit more like $1000 (seems Fender costs a little more because it says Fender on it). What are your thoughts? Any suggestions or recomendations would be greatly appreciated! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Mr 54, have you considered looking into Tele's? Sure, I'm more of a Tele guy these days so am slightly biased but check this out: http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0135300367. I think they are worth considering in your quest for hard tail! Or maybe a parts-caster thru Warmoth!

American Standard Strats were selling new for $950 2 years back so should be able to find them < 800 used! Just some thoughts!
 #102570  by wleeds
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:44 pm
strumminsix wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:
wleeds wrote:i'm lovin' the SUHR FL's in one strat and 57/62's in another. The FL's are little punchier in the mids
Question about single coil guitars: I have a great 2 humbucker guitar (Vantage) and I have a Schecter/Jerry (3 super 2's, buffer, OBEL) that nails the Jerry sound. What I'm wanting now is a three single coil guitar. I was wondering what you would suggest. I've been specking out a carvin neck through, hard tail, strings thru, with 3 single coils and a 5 way lever switch. Totally strat style except for tremelo, which I don't need. It's around $800. I've also been looking at hard tail strats and tremelo strats around that price range. Actually a bit more like $1000 (seems Fender costs a little more because it says Fender on it). What are your thoughts? Any suggestions or recomendations would be greatly appreciated! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Mr 54, have you considered looking into Tele's? Sure, I'm more of a Tele guy these days so am slightly biased but check this out: http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0135300367. I think they are worth considering in your quest for hard tail! Or maybe a parts-caster thru Warmoth!

American Standard Strats were selling new for $950 2 years back so should be able to find them < 800 used! Just some thoughts!
You can buy some really nice parts from Warmoth for $1000.00. You can get a neck profile you like too. And, your choice of body wood. Alder covers a lot of ground with a strat.
Today's American Standard neck is a lot thinner than when they first issued them in 1987. Keep in mind that a hardtail is going to sound a little
..tighter(?) than a trem. You can always block the trem or hold it down with 5 springs.

As for pups, I like the Suhr FL's, 57/62's, Dimarzio true velvet. I haven't really liked a lot of the noiseless in comparison to real SC's.
 #102573  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:05 pm
Mr six, Thanks for your thoughts! They are good thoughts indeed! Yea that is a nice set up also, but I'm not a big fan of that particular neck pup or head stock. I'm obviously not a Tele guy these days. Also, I have a friend that has that set up only with a super 2 in the middle. Sounds great, but I'm likin the strat set up more...just wondering if a neck through, set-up like a strat hard tail would sound more like a "Wolf" than a blocked tremelo, bolt on neck strat. Or are they so totally different sounding that it's apple and oranges. I haven't played a tremelo strat in some time, so I'm tryin to remember and figure it out. Might have to take a trip to a music store and compare sounds, but they won't have the Carvin. I'm thinkin the Carvin would sound better because of the neck through, but I'm not sure...yet.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #102575  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 pm
"You can buy some really nice parts from Warmoth for $1000.00. You can get a neck profile you like too. And, your choice of body wood. Alder covers a lot of ground with a strat.
Today's American Standard neck is a lot thinner than when they first issued them in 1987. Keep in mind that a hardtail is going to sound a little
..tighter(?) than a trem. You can always block the trem or hold it down with 5 springs.

As for pups, I like the Suhr FL's, 57/62's, Dimarzio true velvet. I haven't really liked a lot of the noiseless in comparison to real SC's."

Hey thanks wleeds! Yea, I need to have a good 3 SC pickup guitar too. I have checked out Warmoth. They do offer a lot of options as does Carvin, and your right about the strat necks. That's another reason I'm leanin towards the Carvin. I've played a Carvin with the neck I want and it's sweet and through the body. I'm not worried about it sounding "Tiger"ish, that is a great sound, but I am a bit leary about the trem block sound (don't want it to sound too "tinny"). I'm wanting a great sounding 3 SC guitar set up that isn't $3000 or more. I'm leaning more and more towards the Carvin. I'd have to change out the pups, but for $800 I'd get the adler body with maple neck through, tong oil finish, ebony finger board, hard tail bridge (with string savers), 5 way lever selector switch...no pick guard. It's a DC135. We'll see!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #102580  by strumminsix
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:47 pm
hippieguy1954 wrote:Mr six, Thanks for your thoughts! They are good thoughts indeed! Yea that is a nice set up also, but I'm not a big fan of that particular neck pup or head stock. I'm obviously not a Tele guy these days. Also, I have a friend that has that set up only with a super 2 in the middle. Sounds great, but I'm likin the strat set up more...just wondering if a neck through, set-up like a strat hard tail would sound more like a "Wolf" than a blocked tremelo, bolt on neck strat. Or are they so totally different sounding that it's apple and oranges. I haven't played a tremelo strat in some time, so I'm tryin to remember and figure it out. Might have to take a trip to a music store and compare sounds, but they won't have the Carvin. I'm thinkin the Carvin would sound better because of the neck through, but I'm not sure...yet.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Yer welcome, dude!!! I know, us Tele folk are few and far between, LOL!!! I like both bolt on and neck thrus but can't tell much of a difference. However, I do find that a hardtail bridge sounds different than a blocked trem. And I think Wolf sounds hard tail to my ears. Well, that's just in that rare time of really attacking the instrument like wild man of borneo and you don't hear the out of tuneness :)

Carvins are mighty fine instruments. Each I've played I'd put up against most any American version of the big names!
 #102589  by Grant
 Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 pm
if you want a straight up strat or tele, I'd go a Nash any day over a fender standard, bit more $ but well worth it. They use Lollars for the most part and are some of the best feeling guitars I've played.

http://nashguitars.com/the_guitars.html
 #102606  by jackr
 Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am
Grant wrote:Kinmans and Fralins. Honorable mention to Jason Lollar
+1 on the Kinmans