#92429  by strumminsix

A friend of a friend is selling one and looking to move it fast! Year is 1973 and appears stock less the tailpiece.

I'm not necessarily looking for a new guitar but I've always been interested in SGs.
 #92433  by jackr

I have always loved the look of SGs but I only found very few that I liked to play. I may pick one up that Pat O'Donnell built this weekend (with through neck and volute).
 #92435  by JonnyBoy

are SG's standard with thick frets? that seems to be the only ones I have ever played, other than that I have always liked the double cut away and comfort on the upper neck, plus the look... it has always been the speed bump issue with me, but never knew if that was a standard thing or coincidence on my part. They have great tone though, comparable to a les paul.
 #92437  by vwjodyme

I think all sg's have the thicker frets.. at least mine and the others i've seen do. I love the looks, tone is awesome, love the neck, but have never been able to fall in love with my guitar as much as i've wanted... not sure what it is. maybe it's just me..i do have this weird thing where i always want the next best one than what i already have...i have a sportster now i want a dyna or something bigger, have an sg and a mim strat now want something better, have a girlfiend...well i'll leave that one alone :lol:
 #92442  by JonnyBoy

vwjodyme wrote:i do have this weird thing where i always want the next best one than what i already have...i have a sportster now i want a dyna or something bigger, have an sg and a mim strat now want something better, have a girlfiend...well i'll leave that one alone :lol:
:lol:
 #92451  by Rusty the Scoob

vwjodyme wrote:I think all sg's have the thicker frets.. at least mine and the others i've seen do. I love the looks, tone is awesome, love the neck, but have never been able to fall in love with my guitar as much as i've wanted... not sure what it is. maybe it's just me..i do have this weird thing where i always want the next best one than what i already have...i have a sportster now i want a dyna or something bigger, have an sg and a mim strat now want something better, have a girlfiend...well i'll leave that one alone :lol:
Sometime this summer you, me, and Emoto need to go for a ride! If you don't mind riding with a lowly Suzuki SV650. Hey, at least it's a Vtwin... and at least 6" taller in the seat than most Sportsers I've seen. :lol: Don't you feel like your butt's dragging on the ground?
 #92455  by strumminsix

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
vwjodyme wrote:I think all sg's have the thicker frets.. at least mine and the others i've seen do. I love the looks, tone is awesome, love the neck, but have never been able to fall in love with my guitar as much as i've wanted... not sure what it is. maybe it's just me..i do have this weird thing where i always want the next best one than what i already have...i have a sportster now i want a dyna or something bigger, have an sg and a mim strat now want something better, have a girlfiend...well i'll leave that one alone :lol:
Sometime this summer you, me, and Emoto need to go for a ride! If you don't mind riding with a lowly Suzuki SV650. Hey, at least it's a Vtwin... and at least 6" taller in the seat than most Sportsers I've seen. :lol: Don't you feel like your butt's dragging on the ground?
Take a cruise out be me and I'll join up! 2002 Honda Sabre!
 #92463  by alcorelectric

I love my Sg it has a much thicker/rounder neck than what I usually play, but you cant beat the sound thru a twin.
Mine seems to be a touch neck heavey but the body is so light it doesnt seem to be a problem.
The SG 1 on the other hand is bridge only PU, correct?
If thats the case I would pass I prefer playing from the neck PU.
Also, I believe the early 70s SG were not considered to be well constructed
T
 #92467  by ebick

I have a '76 that I love. I had some issues with it; the neck had some play and the electronics needed shoring up, but years ago I brought it to a guy who did an outstanding job on it, and it's just a beautiful instrument......
 #92490  by strumminsix

alcorelectric wrote:The SG 1 on the other hand is bridge only PU, correct?
Yo T!

Indeed, bridge pickup only. I've seen 2 SG recently that have caught my eye. This one and another that has an ebony neck!!!

I was wondering about the 1 pickup and then think of the magic of Esquire Tele's back in the day!
 #92496  by vwjodyme

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Sometime this summer you, me, and Emoto need to go for a ride! If you don't mind riding with a lowly Suzuki SV650. Hey, at least it's a Vtwin... and at least 6" taller in the seat than most Sportsers I've seen. :lol: Don't you feel like your butt's dragging on the ground?
:lol: Mine is acually the lowered demin black sporty (with syf points cover :cool: ), but works for me since i'm only 5'6".
For sure on the ride!
 #92541  by KCJones

Make sure the Headstock is not cracked. I've seen so many dam broken SG necks at the head, and LPs for that matter.
 #92549  by playingdead

Check out the new Gibson satin SGs for $900 MAP or so ... great value. They surfaced at NAMM. P90s ... mmmm.

Also announced a limited 60s Studio run of Les Paul Studios ... goldtop or honeyburst, 60s slim neck carve, also with P90s ... I ordered a lefty goldtop today. Be nice for nailing that 60s Garcia tone at a reasonable price ... I think the LP he played had P90s if I'm not mistaken. Under a grand for a new goldtop? Fugheddaboutit.

#92552  by tcsned

sweet! I love the P-90 sound. The only problem is that the guitar is backwards ;)