#1584  by jhc

Ebick wrote:
We need more of this.

It's great to have different scales posted, and Kenny goes deep on that subject. But I think it would be great if players would post how they apply different scales to each song.

I'd even like to add a line to each page in the archve to say.....

For solos, try..........

Anyone want to tackle that task?
Why dont we use this to compile the scales we all use for various solos, and Ed can add the information to the song files as needed.

I'm not much of a lead guitar player, but I'll kick it off with a couple of ideas

Playin' - 70's version D Dorian (D minor)
later versions D mixolydian

Scarlet - dont use a single scale, play the chord changes

Fire - B mixolydian

Dark Star - A mixolydian for the main theme

Truckin' = E blues

Not Fade Away - either E blues or E major pentatonic +/- bluesy grace notes

Iko Iko - alternate D major (pentatonic) with A major (pentatonic) with the chord changes

#1599  by jck_strw

Excellent idea and excellent information.

Like Oliver, "More please!"

#1614  by jhc

Kenny, on Deal, are you using the same scale for solo #1, which is based on the verse chord and solo #2 which is based on the chorus?

Thanks man - you always have some great info.

#1617  by Billbbill

With the verse solo I find that working from the "other end" can open up some cool ideas. That is add in some licks based on flat (and/or finger) picking some chords at different transitions and move around on the neck. Just picking out the chords and bridging a line for the full verse can be instructive. The one draw back I find is there's less room for error. Not exactly the pentatonic "no wrong note" approach.

"My wife's cooking is bad, - it's so bad the flies pitched in to fix the screen door"

Couldn't resist Kenny!