#175297  by 19deadhead65

Hey all!

So as we know a great deal of Jerry’s tone comes from a cranked twin, as I’m sure the majority of us have dealt with, I’m trying to get that tone at “bedroom” (apartment) levels.

I have a 72 Master Volume Dual Showman Reverb with 2 D120fs, I’m very aware how overkill that is for small rooms. But what my question is, is there any harm to the amplifier itself when the volume is cranked? And what is the safe sweet spot for “the tone”? The master volume can be in effect so I can dial it down however much, or I can use an attenuator.

I’m just not super knowledgeable in amp tech and am not sure if it would be harmful in any way to keep the volume at say 8-10 (while attenuated/turned down on the master volume).

Also, how much power can JBLs realistically handle? I know they're supposed to be able to take it, but can they handle 6-8? Presumably not 9-10 for long durations, if at all,

Sorry for the long post, thank y’all!
 #175302  by strumminsix

Depends on what year Jerry tone you're going for. Most of his career he routed a Fender Pre into a Mac poweramp.

This gave him insane volume and speaker movement. This volume on tap, controlled by picking dynamics, and making E/K JBLs redline really = JG.

But for most small stage players (self and most here). The lower wattage poweramp of the DSR + lower capability of the JBL Ds should get a nice approximation. Most JG players crank until they get the desired effect and end up going thru a few speakers learning "the heard way".
19deadhead65 liked this
 #175309  by Cumtax

get a Klon, it was invented for the precise reason to emulate a cranked twin. If the bloom is not enough a compressor with maxed release and low attack will help a lot
 #175310  by Cumtax

strumminsix wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:20 pm Depends on what year Jerry tone you're going for. Most of his career he routed a Fender Pre into a Mac poweramp.

This gave him insane volume and speaker movement. This volume on tap, controlled by picking dynamics, and making E/K JBLs redline really = JG.

But for most small stage players (self and most here). The lower wattage poweramp of the DSR + lower capability of the JBL Ds should get a nice approximation. Most JG players crank until they get the desired effect and end up going thru a few speakers learning "the heard way".
what's a dsr
 #175313  by 19deadhead65

Cumtax,

I have a Soul Food, which has been widely recognized as a Klon copy, but as of late I haven’t been the biggest fan of it. I use it as a boost and to slightly color the tone but at the very moment any drive is introduced it almost becomes unpleasant. It’s very “loose” and isn’t quite as clean of a grit as I’d like. I also use a tube screamer for heavier tones but am not the most content with that either. Clean sounds though, I couldn’t be happier.
 #175314  by Cumtax

19deadhead65 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:05 am Cumtax,

I have a Soul Food, which has been widely recognized as a Klon copy, but as of late I haven’t been the biggest fan of it. I use it as a boost and to slightly color the tone but at the very moment any drive is introduced it almost becomes unpleasant. It’s very “loose” and isn’t quite as clean of a grit as I’d like. I also use a tube screamer for heavier tones but am not the most content with that either. Clean sounds though, I couldn’t be happier.
I use the earthdrive + compressor to "emulate" a pushed twin. Some people grabbed an earthdrive to substitute a klon so you may wanna try that
 #175317  by Slewfoot2000

I've actually found I've been preferring my Sarno Solar Flare to my Earth Drive. Maybe it's just my particular specific pedals they made, but the Solar Flare sounds cleaner and more transparent and can basically do what the Earth Drive does when set low and can then be cranked to a really nice saturated distortion.

The Earth Drive seems to get most of the glory in their line, but definitely worth people checking out the Solar Flare as well for its versatility.
 #175319  by 19deadhead65

Slewfoot,

Yeah I've heard nothing but fantastic things about Sarno, the Earth Drive and the Solar Flare. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on an Earth Drive, though I hear the Solar Flare is fantastic too. I've also heard that the two together work quite well. Oh the choices!
 #175322  by Alem1

Interesting thread, I wasn’t aware of the cranked showman amp to get a Garcia tone. To get a clean ‘74-like Garcia tone I use an Alembic Series I guitar and an F-2b with power amp, cabs with Tone Tubby speakers, and Strymon Flint reverb. If I want clean overdrive I use the same amp set up and my Turner Electroline guitar with variable boost circuit. To me, these seem to give me a foundation for building 72-78 Garcia tones, but that’s just what I hear and admittedly I haven’t really put much time into experimenting with it much beyond that.
19deadhead65 liked this
 #175338  by natebernstein

Alem1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:40 pm Interesting thread, I wasn’t aware of the cranked showman amp to get a Garcia tone. To get a clean ‘74-like Garcia tone I use an Alembic Series I guitar and an F-2b with power amp, cabs with Tone Tubby speakers, and Strymon Flint reverb. If I want clean overdrive I use the same amp set up and my Turner Electroline guitar with variable boost circuit. To me, these seem to give me a foundation for building 72-78 Garcia tones, but that’s just what I hear and admittedly I haven’t really put much time into experimenting with it much beyond that.
I bought a Dual Showman this week. I don't own a cab that can handle it and don't plan to gig it anytime soon but rather am using as a recording tool via my OX Box into my audio interface and Logic. Still dialing things in but already used it to track a solo for a song I'm working on and love the results so far. Just fooling around with it through the headphones, using the middle pickup on my stock '94 Strat and the Twin/2 JBL emulation on the OX, I could get a great early 70s Garcia tone. Europe '72 China Cat for days!
 #175424  by Chocol8

The Silverface era dual showman reverb is twin reverb chassis in a head cab. Basically identical to a twin running an external cab. Cranking it will put a little extra stress on the power tubes and OT, but nothing I would ever worry about as tubes are a wear item and replaceable, and Fender used some beefy OT's in the Twins and Showman amps.

Do be aware that fully cranked and distorted, especially with a fuzz upfront, an amp can put out up to twice the max clean wattage. Loud sustained square waves can burn up you speaker's voice coil unless it is rated and built for the energy you are sending it. If you are going to play cranked with distortion or fuzz, I would want a load rated for 200 watts minimum for a Twin or Dual Showman Reverb. If you are staying clean you can get away with less.