#175176  by Druford

I stumbled on to a profile last night that does a pretty decent job with a Jerryesque tone. I figured I’d pass the info along if any of you out there have a tonex. I was playing through the Dumble ODS Clean Rock profile when I decided to try using one of the York Audio D120 IR’s and there it was. Specifically it’s the York Ftwin Mix 02 IR. Just use the typical Tone, Mids, and Bass settings for Jerry tone. I wasn’t even using one of my Jerry Strats and it did as good of a job with the low notes as the SMS classic JG mod preamp I sometimes use. The high notes weren’t quite there, but I can only guess it would sound even better with my Jerry themed Strats. It kind of surprised me. I do have a physical JBL E120 cab, but was actually using my EVM12L at the time and it sounded just as good. You technically aren’t supposed to use a real cab with IR’s but it works well for me more often than not when using the EVM12L. I’m not posting to suggest tonex pedal is a better way or even as good as many other Jerry options but if you already have one you may want to try this. I’ll try to add a short audio clip later if I get a chance. Hopefully this helps other tonex users out there.
 #175177  by Chocol8

Interesting. Do you think the "Jerry tone" is mostly coming from the York IR, or the amp profile? I would expect a Fender amp capture might get you closer than the Dumble, although the ODS circuit has strong blackface roots.

I have been thinking about trying some of York's IR's, and your experience might motivate me to do it.
 #175178  by Druford

The York IR just pushes it that extra few % into that realm. The clean Dumble sounds pretty much like a fender black face as you say. It might have little extra sparkle and the IR adds a touch more sparkle as well as a little bit of unique punch on the low notes. Just my perspective, but to me most of what we discuss and try to learn more about regarding Jerry’s tone is probably just that icing on the cake 10% or less of his overall sound. I found this set up to be a good push in the right direction but certainly not the end all be all. It’s Definitely way closer than any thing I’ve been able to dial up on a modeler or profiler, but I’m pretty new to using gear like this. So far I love the tonex for many different other tones.
 #175179  by Druford

I cut out a few various clips from a recording messing around with it. Like I said, I the highs aren’t quite there, but I am using a SSS Strat with lower output pickups than the guitars I use for Dead music. I do like the low end and the throaty punchy sound it does with that Strat. In the past, the lows and lower mids have been the most elusive for me to get in the ball park. . In the cold rain and snow, I’m using a bit of OD before the tonex pedal.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3bPpk ... p=drivesdk
 #175180  by Druford

To further answer your question I’d say the York D120 IR is the leading contributor although that particular ODS profile is about as good as any Twin Reverb or blackface profile I’ve tried for whatever reason. That’s an isolated occurrence. Most other Dumble profiles sound quite a bit different than that . I tried a few other profiles briefly last night that were either black face Fender or similar. The IR seemed to add some good Jerryish throaty punch and sparkle. I just purchased that York IR pack over the weekend and I’ve been impressed with it for a few different types of tone. Overall I wouldn’t say this is a reason to go buy a tonex pedal but for those that already have one or maybe something comparable it could be worth a shot.
 #175181  by Chocol8

The Tonex pedal definitely sounds great. I think their captures are noticeably more accurate and respond better than Kemper's, and they do it for a fraction of the cost. Some of the pro captured amps are REALLY good. The downsides are lack of effects and other features and software that isn't really intuitive or user friendly. If you already have a pedal board, I think the Tonex is a great option for any digital amp tones.

I will listen to your clips now if my clients will stop calling me for 10 minutes!
 #175182  by Druford

Yeah. It’s got some downsides for sure, but with some time and patience it has gradually become a tool that blows my mind pretty regularly. I’ve yet to hit the ceiling. Just keeps getting better. Those clips don’t sound all that great. . I think when I was piecing them together I managed to compress the hell out of it. Pretty big reduction in volume. Just now realized that. Lol.
 #175183  by Chocol8

I just listened and I agree, you are getting pretty darn close with that combo! I would say if that doesn't get you close enough, the problem isn't in the gear. I will make a York purchase this weekend and try out a few things, so make sure you get your commission from him! :D

Oh, for those that haven't tried one and are looking for portable gig rig, the Tonex and an XLR adapter are over 80 lbs lighter than my K120 loaded Twin!
 #175185  by Druford

Lol. Very true about the problem not being the gear. I’ve got probably 5000 hours left out of 10,000 hours to correct the remaining issues. Playing ability. I don’t plan to stop at 10,000.
 #175186  by Druford

If you try it, i recommend experimenting with a boost in front of the tonex. I run mine into an Art Sla-1 and 1x12 cab with an EMV12L. Similar cab to the Hard Truckers 1x12. I call it the Broke F**kers 1x12. Dyi. I also have a 1x12 bass amp combo that works almost as well with that speaker Just using the effects return as a power amp. I’ll prob swap in my E120 this weekend out of curiosity. It’s doesn’t tend to handle IR’s etc as well.
 #175187  by Chocol8

I will run it into headphones and an Atomic CLR. If I am using real speakers, I don't need IR's. FWIW, the Tonex with a DI profile (no speaker sim) into a MosValve and a good cab also sounds absolutely fantastic!

My Strats all have onboard boosts, but with the Tonex, you can add also add the boost in the profile before the amp sim. I prefer the onboard the guitar method because I can run my single coils and humbuckers at about the same output level into whatever pedals I am using. Similar to why Jerry wanted the effects before the volume control leading to the OBEL. Always hitting the effects with the same level helps with consistency tremendously. I just use a volume pedal at the end of the chain instead of the OBEL system and it's extra cabling.
 #175188  by Druford

I hear ya. I haven’t yet tried a di signal into a daw with the yorks, but I’m sure it’s possibly even better. It was only by accident that I found that some tonex amp profiles sound better with an IR even when I’m using a real cab that doesn’t “need”an IR or Sim. That’s just my set up I guess. I forgot to turn cabs sims/ IR off a couple times and since then I’ll always briefly check it out both ways. Sometimes it’s better, sometimes it’s worse. I can’t believe how many sound better when doing it the “incorrect way”. I just use my SMS and E120 for loud jams with real speaker Jerry sound. I haven’t been gigging or jamming with others very often recently so I’m just a mad scientist trying whatever I can get my hands on.
 #175189  by Druford

I use a stratoblaster in my other two Strats. Not in the one I’ve used so far with this set up. Not quite into the obel thing yet. I do have a buffer in my dual sound/super 2 strat.