#174842  by PaulReed69

Just got a 3 x12 SSP cabinet, it's amazing, great build and great sound, has 3 JBL 120e's in it....but it weighs a ton!!!
Has anyone built light weight cases? Used dolly's? Any idea would be appreciated to make load-in and load-out's easier......

#174849  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:06 pm Three 1x12s?
This is essentially what I did in moving from a 2X12 JBL loaded cab to a pair of SSP 1X12s. Later on, I went a step further by replacing the E120 in one of them with a Celestion Neo Copperback. I guess I'm at a place now where healthfulness (avoiding further back injuries) and comfort trumps tone (though I do love my Copperback for what it is - a high-power "clean machine" featherweight speaker).
 #174850  by lbpesq

At its zenith, my rig was an Alembic F-2B pre > Mesa 50/50 power amp > a pair of Ear Candy 2x12 cabs loaded with JBL K120s and Tone Tubby Hemp speakers. Sounded great BUT a royal PITA to move. Replaced the Mesa with a Carvin DCM200L (1U/4 lbs.) and a couple of 1x12 cabs loaded with the JBLs. Still sounds great, but MUCH easier to move. I did add a 15” cab with an Eminence 1518, so I can mix and match, depending on the gig. These days I only pull it out for outdoor or larger venues. At last night’s gig I used my 21 pound Quilter Aviator Mach 3. It has the Celestion Copperback Neo mentioned above by Jon S. Really nice speaker. For rehearsals and grab ‘n go jams, I’m relying on my pedal-board mounted Quilter Superblock US and an SSP 1x12 loaded with an old Jensen Neo. The tone is good enough in any of these configurations, so the convenience and weight factors are driving the bus these days.

Bill
Jon S., PaulReed69 liked this
 #174853  by Jon S.

Speaking for myself only now, I never play at such a volume level that, as a practical matter, I could pummel a 3X12" E120s cab hard enough to drive its speakers even remotely close to their sweet spots so such a rig would make no sense for me.

For me, one 1X12 with a K120 (which I own) is more than sufficient. But I must admit that, even still, I also own a second 1X12 with a Neo Copperback (the one that used to have the E120 which I sold to lose the weight).
Searing75 liked this