#174498  by phaul80

Hi,

tl;dr- can i replace the stock Celestion G12 Neo Creamback speakers with a Beyma Liberty 12 and get the break up I want at lower power settings?

I had a friend offer me their reissue twin for $500, but I decided to spend double that to get the twin reverb tonemaster. While shopping around, I put them side by side and could not tell the difference. I can set the built in attenuator to 1w and play in my living room while the baby sleeps in the back. I rarely take it above 5 or 12 watt setting when playing with friends. I built an alligator partscaster with the help of this forum and I've had a ton of fun, but I think the last mile for me is the speaker. The tonemaster has a Celestion G12 Neo Creamback speakers which at 1 watt/ volume at 10 sounds killer, but I'm looking for that 1972 spank from what I gather is due to the 4 inch voice coil being pushed by 85 watts.

Are there any gearheads knowledgable enough to tell me if the lower power settings will drive the speaker enough to get the 1972 sound?
 #174499  by Chocol8

If you want the JBL sound, get a JBL. Speakers are very linear with respect to power level from very low volume up until they start to distort, which with the JBL's is at a level you would not want to reach.

There are some physical issues where human ears and brains hear quiet things differently than loud, but if you were to record with a mic and level match they would sound identical. That is an entirely different discussion, so just get the JBL's that you want and be happy.

Well, this assumes you are just playing at home. One of the Tonemaster features is weight, and the neo speakers are very light and the JBL's, especially the E series, are at the other end of the spectrum. Even a TM Twin will be a handful with a pair of E120's in it!
bzbz liked this
 #174507  by perljam

I'd be curious on this. My understanding is that the TM series is 'tuned' to those speakers to emulate the real amp sound. I wonder if switching out the speakers will achieve the sound of switching out the speakers on a 'real' one? Or, will the sim circuits (which affect the EQ and overall response) not sound right. Would love to know the answer.
 #174508  by Jon S.

I'm done with 17 lb. speakers. I'm digging my Celestion Neo Copperback that replaced my E120 that I then sold. It pairs well with my K120 in my 2nd SSP 1X12 cab. Is it a sonic copy of the E120. Of course not. Will you notice the difference? I expect so, but with your back as well as your ears. Will anyone in your audience? No. As always, YMMV. If only the real deal will do it for you, go for the E120 (or Beyma).
 #174510  by Cumtax

perljam wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:30 pm I'd be curious on this. My understanding is that the TM series is 'tuned' to those speakers to emulate the real amp sound. I wonder if switching out the speakers will achieve the sound of switching out the speakers on a 'real' one? Or, will the sim circuits (which affect the EQ and overall response) not sound right. Would love to know the answer.

A Fender guy said on TGP that the amp does not reproduce speaker EQs. That only happens if you use the direct XLR cab-sim option. In that case, there are loaded in the amp's computer two IR.

I have a Twin tonemaster and I replaced the 2 originally loaded neo-Jensen with 2 Weber Californias to get closer to Jerry's sound. I loaded 1 Ceramic Weber Cali and 1 Alnico Weber Cali. Needless to say, it made a mega huge impact on tone. At first, they sounded awful when pushed into distortion but once they broke-in they became a different beast and got me into Jerry's territory. When I crank the volume to the edge of breakup, with my SG I'm basically 99% into Live\Dead in terms of tone and couldn't be happier about it