name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #165603  by acornaxe

Hi all - I go by the "Acornaxe" handle because I have a Guild SC-100 guitar which looks like a Gibson SG except with a bit of a Strat offset to it, and has oak leaves and acorns carved in it - The Red Oak is the New Jersey state tree - where Guild was located at the time. It came with two HB's and a phase switch. I visited the Alembic store in San Francisco in December of 1974 and got a pair of Hot Rod pickups by LD Heater in Beaver, Oregon, and added tiny coil splitter switches when I installed the new magnets. Later, I added a series switch. It does not sound "exactly" like a Jerry guitar by any means, but it covers a lot of territory between a Jimmy Page to Keith Richards sound pretty well. I have tried for over 40 years to find people that would play English and West Coast rock, and I always end up living in places where things are pretty dull, and the jam sessions end up in oldies, top 40 and soul music. I prefer to play tunes from Allman Brothers to ZZ Top, by way of CSNY and Joni Mitchell, but NOT John Cougar, Skinnard, Molly Hatchet, Billy Idol, Judas Priest, etc. I WILL play almost anything, but am a very good rhythm player, and others like me to back them up while they go 100 mph over three chords, but THEY can't back me up on the more sophisticated tunes (Yes - I CAN play metal!). I didn't know about this site (heard of it - not found) so I am interested to see what kind of conversations occur here.

I continue to go to Bobby shows and Dead and Co. when possible - not too hard living in NorCal, but I DO tend to work a lot. I really like to play GD songs, and am pretty decent singing them too, including harmony by ear, but Mustang Sally in yet another bar jam doesn't cut it. Thanks for listening!
 #165604  by TI4-1009

Welcome to the Madhouse! And what's so bad about Mustang Sally??? :lol:
 #165611  by lbpesq

Welcome to the forum, Acornaxe. Where in NorCal are you? I’m in the Bay Area.

Bill, tgo