#1416  by hogwldfltr

What is the fountain not made by the hands of men?

-Lee

#1418  by DanK

probably some sort of natural spring. or maybe not? could be interpreted a number of ways.

#1523  by Tola0240

Or maybe it's some sort of geyser
Last edited by Tola0240 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

#9828  by jayh6511

I feel a good deal of this song is influenced by a Dylan Thomas poem called "In My Craft or Sullen Art"...

In my craft or sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms,
I labour by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart.

Not for the proud man apart
From the raging moon I write
On these spindrift pages
Not for the towering dead
With their nightingales and psalms
But for the lovers, their arms
Round the griefs of the ages,
Who pay no praise or wages
Nor heed my craft or art.

If someone wants, I can elaborate.
I can start you off with:

Dylan says he "labors by singing light"
Hunter says "what if my words did glow with the gold of sunshine"

Dylan says "not for ambition or bread, or the strut and trade of charms"
Hunter says "Its a hand-me-down, thoughts are broken... don't know, don't really care"

The title of Dylan's poem is key. This is the distinction he is making. Some people preceive his poetry as a sullen art, others as his craft. And I would say its not the craft like a trade (blacksmithing, etc.), but the craft like a traveling vessel (boat, etc.).

#9829  by tigerstrat

The fountain is a great bottomless well of MUSIC.

#9830  by grateful4booze

I think it must be the spring where they get Coors beer water from.

#9833  by amyjared

In college I lived with a psuedo-rastafarian who figured that it referred to the "hand of God" since it was not made by 'the hand of man' and we talked at length about it, he thinking it was the eternal life spring that people talk about and I thinking it was like a hot springs that pops up out of the ground. Never did figure it out.

#9834  by phreaker

grateful4booze wrote:I think it must be the spring where they get Coors beer water from.
haha. I think I'll go with this one.

#9837  by tigerstrat

I can't believe you brought up that goddamn spring. I worked bottling for them in the late 80's. When they wanted me to bleach-rinse a couple of hundred empty 5 gallon bottles, washing the chlorine into Eldorado Creek (which flows right by, out between those scenic crags), I was sickened. When I confronted the owners about it, and announced I was quitting, one of them (about a 250lber) assaulted me, severely beat me and tried to throw me off of a 15ft staircase. Then they called the police and had me arrested on a false charge of assault- two vs one of course. I had to go to the hospital for stitches and a concussion and pay for it out of pocket. FUCK them. God, how I hate those guys...seriously.

#9839  by CaptainTrips

Tola0240 wrote:Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Let it be known there is a fountain
That was not made by the hands of men

I've thought that the fountain represented a supernatural force that can help you out. If you need help (i.e. your cup is empty) then ask for help (i.e. reach out your hand) and you will get help (i.e. your cup will be filled by the fountain). But this is just my interpertation, like dank said, the whole song can be interperted in a number of ways, which is the beauty of it.
thats what I think dude, and that is a great first post man, welcome to RUKIND . . . . its a great site and the people here are wonderful.

#9841  by phpbb

sorry tigerstrat, that sucks. Everything upstream from there is pretty cool though.

#9850  by grateful4booze

I guess I won't be drinking Coors anymore. Their commercials suck anyways. I don't sell beer at my store so I don't drink too much beer. What are some good micros anyway? I like dark beers and ales. I drank Guinness for a while until Diageo bought them out. I don't like Miller or Bud much.

#9851  by amyjared

Here are some great reasons not to buy coors:

http://www.corporations.org/coors/

The best reason is because it's a poor quality beer. Some of my faves include:

Microbrews:
Fat Tire
Anchor Steam
Anderson Valley (It's hop ottin!)
Red Tail
Deschutes (Mirror Pond is their best,imho)

British Brews:
Bass
Samuel Smith (the best oatmeal stout available)
Newcastle (a smooth Brown beer)

#14435  by Simple C

it's the same force that gave us and allows for how and WHY THE OLD FISHERMAN in still water SAILS ALONG when there is no pebble tossed nor wind to blow!!
-kenji moto ;0)
any questions? the doctor IS in.