#98334  by jeffm725

Just in the first couple minutes you can tell he has a handle on the stuff. He's doing the "jerry" riffs with his right hand and the classic "Phil" contrapuntal stuff with his left hand.Very tough to play "against" each other like that. It is PHD level of the old "Pat your head while rubbing your belly in circles" routine.
Good keys players piss me off (and amaze me), they can accompany themselves in a wonderful manner that guitarists (save Stanley Jordan) can only dream about.
 #98351  by jahozer

If anyone doubts the importance of theory and the use of modes, you have to watch this. This is really amazing the way he breaks it down. Of course the boys werent thinking all of this stuff while playing, but they had it so ingrained in them that it was instinctual.
As Miles used to say learn it to forget it.
RLW liked this
 #98355  by Pete B.

I'm trying to watch this guys demo but the choking sound he makes makes with his throat every time he touches the piano is F'n drivin' me nuts.
Hey that reminds me of a joke...
A Pirate walks into a bar.
The Bartender says.. Hey Cap'n, Ya know you have the ships steering wheel attached to your dick???
The pirate says...
Ayyye Mate'ee... And it's Drivin' mee Nuts!
:roll:
 #98358  by Stevo123

Very cool video! The explanation of the individual instrumental roles and how they relate to the group is really detailed and informative. Anyone trying to wrap their head around Dark Star should watch this video.

Although I think there are way better and more cohesive/magical versions of Dark Star out there he could have used as examples! My fave is still the one where they give a little tour of the modes by going into A7-G7 and Amaj7-Gmaj7 jams. Bob really lights that one up, in the live/dead version in the video he sounds a bit disjointed.
 #98363  by jahozer

Stevo123 wrote:Very cool video! The explanation of the individual instrumental roles and how they relate to the group is really detailed and informative. Anyone trying to wrap their head around Dark Star should watch this video.

Although I think there are way better and more cohesive/magical versions of Dark Star out there he could have used as examples! My fave is still the one where they give a little tour of the modes by going into A7-G7 and Amaj7-Gmaj7 jams. Bob really lights that one up, in the live/dead version in the video he sounds a bit disjointed.
I think those are called "beautiful jam" segments