Chat about Equipment Info
 #97909  by vwjodyme

Mine is finally here! Wow, what a difference from my SG...in sound and playability. and man these stainless frets are smooth :hail:

tried to make mine a little different than everyone elses so chose a little different color, headstock, etc...

#97910  by rugger

Congrats. The stainless frets really are something. A must upgrade IMO.

John in san Diego
 #97912  by unnbrokenchain

What finish did you choose? Clear finish? That's what I would go with. The vintage yellow is just to ugly for me. looks great. I'm going to have my Sh65 sent in sometime this month to Phil at Philtone in Baltimore. Going with the Rosebud general setup.
 #97914  by vwjodyme

I asked for something between the burnt umber and the clear, and I think they came up with exactly the picture in my head. :-)
 #97915  by unnbrokenchain

Looks great. Glad to see you went with walnut. Should be used more for guitars and Carvin walnuts' are spectacular. Love mine.
 #98112  by vwjodyme

for the carvin users out there, did yours come set up?
i was under the impression they set them up before they left the factory--in the vid i watched they showed some guy playing each one before they packed it up--but my action was too low and i have crazy buzzing. i raised the saddles up a bit and the open string buzzing went away but still was getting buzzing on the lower frets...upon furthur inspection there is no bow in the neck at all. when i hold down low e on the first fret and the 24th the string lays on top of the frets. just seems weird that i would have to screw with the truss rod right out of the box.

also, is the phase switch on when it's up or down? I can't tell the difference in sound in either position. wonder if i got a lemon. :|
 #98247  by gr8fulbluz

vwjodyme wrote:for the carvin users out there, did yours come set up?
. . .
also, is the phase switch on when it's up or down? I can't tell the difference in sound in either position. wonder if i got a lemon. :|
They should come set up, mine did. They are subject to settling and the changes in temperature and Humidity play havoc with new guitar setups.
The Phase switch, up should be in phase, Down out of phase. works when both neck and bridge pups are on, I do not have my thinking hat on right now but there should be a way to tell.

I gotta play with it later :cheers:
 #98248  by vwjodyme

Yeah i should have read the paperwork that came with it first :oops:
it says that shipping long distances causes back bow in the neck and tells how to adjust the truss rod

i still can't hear a difference in the phase switch, but maybe that's just me
 #98252  by keirweir

This guitar reminds of of JK's Carvin minus the electronics of course.

I like the Maple headstock! I'm sure the buzzing can be addressed and the guitar will work out.

Congrats!
 #98255  by gr8fulbluz

Phase switch, one thing I am not sure with your guitar, isit wired to which pickups? I only have 2 HB not the single coil in the middle so I am not sure.
for example, are the HBs are wired to go out of phase with the single coil or with each other, like neck HB -single coil and sc - bridge HB.
For some reason I dont think you get all three in the bargain of in and out of phase wiring but i don't know why.

I am too lazy to upload an example of my own, but if ya look here I think ya can hear the difference right about the 1:10 mark he plays in phase then out of phase, you see him throw the phase switch.

http://youtu.be/bm8UPEUqXE0

and here about 4:30

http://youtu.be/zhX0MuGOUB8
 #98256  by vwjodyme

Thanks for the vids! I'll have to screw around with it when i get home...maybe try a different amp.
 #110562  by vwjodyme

I got my carvin back from Andrew Olsen a few weeks back, and could not be happier! Love it! it's hard to set it down :-)

Before

After
 #110566  by hippieguy1954

I've had mine for about 6 months and love it! Ordered it with 3 single coils and a one piece maple neck thru. Hard tail bridge. All passive. Oil finish. Plays and sounds awesome. A little under $900!
:smile: :smile: :smile: