#97482  by jmfranc

Stupid question - I know. BUT - I am looking for a small amp pushing maybe 35 watts that has the McIntosh sound and wondered if it's worth pursuing? They claim some nice numbers and their solid state. Any ideas? Any input on this possible stupid question?
 #97488  by JonnyBoy

Other than the name they are nothing like the MC50 or mc250 etc... in tone. I am sure it would work, but I have no idea what it will sound like. Those latter models guitar players use are great because of the old school circuitry and the transformers/autoformers they have. The new ones are nothing like it from what I see. I actually looked in to those too. I would guess it would be like a stab in the dark if it will sound good or not, and I would guess not since they are optimized for car stereos, but who knows? It may be easier to try a cheaper one and see how it performs. It may clip and shut down or something annoying like that.
 #97501  by tigerstrat

please don't play guitar while driving. it's worse than texting!
 #97547  by mijknahs

You need an amp with Autoformers. The car amp don't use them.
 #97551  by mijknahs

Somewhere around here is a good explanation by Brad Sarno why the car amps aren't good for our purposes. I suppose they make good car stereo amps though!

Go for the MC250 or MC2100.
 #97605  by Grant

mcintosh make amps for subarus...