#90007  by mijknahs

Not much info on this.

So far, I understand he used a Dean Markley RM-150 amp (preamp section only?) and a Modulus Blackknife guitar.

What about effects? No more Ibanez? What pickups in the Modulus? EMGs?

Thanks in advance for any info or pics.

Jim
 #90008  by jdsmodulus

there is quite a bit of change in his rig during 85. He used the Godzilla Amp and an MC2300. Gauss speakers, He had at least 4 Modulus guitars that were used on stage. Effects were similar to the era, UE, Furman, Markley, Ashley, ADA, custom sitcher. It really depends on the tour for 85. Hope that helps a little!
 #104151  by ndrewoods

jdsmodulus wrote:there is quite a bit of change in his rig during 85. He used the Godzilla Amp and an MC2300. Gauss speakers, He had at least 4 Modulus guitar music that were used on stage. Effects were similar to the era, UE, Furman, Markley, Ashley, ADA, custom sitcher. It really depends on the tour for 85. Hope that helps a little!
Well I guess all I could add up is this video that they performed at Hershey Park Stadium on 1985-06-28. Try to listen to it so that you can figure out what are the effects Bob was using. http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-06- ... sbeok.shnf
 #104566  by nsandi9

I've tried to find up close stage shots of Bob's rig in 84-85 but haven't had too much success. I do have the Dean Markley amp and it definitely makes a difference in getting closer to the 85 tone. I'm not sure what actual effects box he's using. It's not the UE but yes similar, I agree. I've studied many shows from 85 and I agree his tone changes very frequently. Try listening to November 85 and see what you think. He either has some sort of acoustic simulation or a piezo pickup. I think it's a piezo but I could be wrong. Also, in 88 at some points I get the sense of piezo mixed with metallic pickups. Check out the 3-26-88 show that's up on Youtube. You will hear a very distict different after Hell Bucket > Sugaree.
 #104582  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Take a look at stage photos around '85 and '86. I noticed in 86' that from a live audience point of view he had an outrageously bright, acoustic-ish, sizzly top end. What I noticed was that he was using full range Meyer speakers laying on their sides under the drum riser. Not sure when he went from normal guitar speakers (no tweeters/horns) to these full range things. Do we hear this crispy sound on soundboards too? Live, it was like Bob had his own very powerful PA system. Probably so he could be loud regardless of what Healy wanted of him in the mix. But anyway, there was something to the sound of those full range speakers that really blasted a kazoo, crispy thing out into the crowd. I don't know if he went DI to the PA or what, or if they mic'd the Meyers previously by only mic'ing the 12" and not the horn. Maybe the new '85-'86 sound was the sound of Bob going DI instead of mic'd speaker.

And what about that ADA preamp?? When was that introduced to his rack?

B