#89593  by SarnoMusicSolutions
 Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:20 pm
Bobby's sound is sometimes strangely invisible. I did find him to be louder in certain places in the room and at certain times, and actually with earplugs in, he was more audible. But I agree, I wish he was just big and fat in the mix where I didn't have to try and listen for him. I think Derek mixes him for the cutting chime tones since they are the loudest and most dominant component of his sound, and at the soundboard, that stuff is pretty glassy and clear, but it doesn't bring out the fat, chunky-ness of his sound. I attribute it partially to his heavy use of compression which can make the meat of the sound disappear after the attack and only leave the sizzly, zing audible. He's doing so much killer rock and roll chunking on the guitar, that shit should be fat.

Regarding the Bi-Filter, he has that patched into the loop on the Eleven Rack, so only certain presets will engage the Bi-Filter. He definitely used it for some super-trippy Mutron-like sounds. But he sets it real thin and chewy and sometimes a thin, high-pass style. Never a Jerry type setting (low-pass), but when it's on it's pretty cool. Definitely used strictly as an envelope filter effect.

Brad
 #89602  by tigerstrat
 Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:04 pm

#89603  by willmusic
 Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:34 pm
tigerstrat wrote:

Funny I posted this a couple years ago and thought about posting it again recently, but darned if I've been too lazy to do the digging. REAL lazy, I know. I think the one I posted was from a European site cuz it wasn't on youtube at the time. Thanks TS, I'm gonna bookmark it this time!
 #89607  by ampegbassplayer1969
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:57 am
I sat in the center behind the soundboard yesterday, and I heard Bobby well, but only because I've developed an ear for picking him out. He doesn't come through the mix well except for the "chink, chink, chime" like you said, hah
 #89623  by Stevo123
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 am
Brad I hear ya about mixing Bob higher! It's really not the same experience at a show when you're straining yourself to hear him. That's how it was for most of the red rocks shows and it was a bit of a buzzkill. I think he's just so trebly at times that it's hard to get that sound to travel very far, so he might be loud at the soundboard but 30 rows back you get a whisper.
 #89628  by strumminsix
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:23 am
Stevo123 wrote:Brad I hear ya about mixing Bob higher! It's really not the same experience at a show when you're straining yourself to hear him. That's how it was for most of the red rocks shows and it was a bit of a buzzkill. I think he's just so trebly at times that it's hard to get that sound to travel very far, so he might be loud at the soundboard but 30 rows back you get a whisper.
Not loud at the SBD. I was there and in front of the SBD. He's just plain low.
 #89633  by Pete B.
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:00 am
When I saw them in Eugene Bob was basically inaudible. But fwiw, a guy I met at the Hotel bought the soundboard CD from the first night, and when I listened to that I could hear Bobby pretty good.
Anyone else listen to a cd bought right at/after a show? Can you hear Bob?
 #89635  by tigerstrat
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:10 am
LOL, maybe that whole complaint about Healy was unfounded, and that's right where Bob likes to be in the mix.
 #89644  by waldo041
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:28 pm
i actually think this is the problem, no healy!!! the furthur soundman makes a better recording then he does actually ensuring each seat gets a quality even sound. i think all these complaints about bob fall more in line with the soundman rather then bob. i was at fridays show and the closer you got to the stage the better the sound was, the farther away you got the less you could hear, vocals were muddy, phil. bob, jeff and jk instruments all were subpar volumewise at a distance. listen to the sbd of the show, and everything is just right.

on topic though, imo, bobbys new strat sounded better then the LP.

peace,
waldo
 #89645  by jeffm725
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:03 pm
waldo041 wrote:i actually think this is the problem, no healy!!! the furthur soundman makes a better recording then he does actually ensuring each seat gets a quality even sound. i think all these complaints about bob fall more in line with the soundman rather then bob. i was at fridays show and the closer you got to the stage the better the sound was, the farther away you got the less you could hear, vocals were muddy, phil. bob, jeff and jk instruments all were subpar volumewise at a distance. listen to the sbd of the show, and everything is just right.

on topic though, imo, bobbys new strat sounded better then the LP.

peace,
waldo

I dont know this for sure, but an educated guess would be that they are obviously take a separate mix for the CD, it is not an old school early 80's style recording straight off the board feed. They have a recording sub mix. Thus those after show recordings are not an accurate representation of what is being mixed in the room.
 #89665  by strumminsix
 Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 pm
waldo041 wrote:on topic though, imo, bobbys new strat sounded better then the LP.
I couldn't tell you after 2 nights. No difference between LP clink clank and Strat clink clank.
 #89801  by tigerstrat
 Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:00 am
eeeeee wrote:I think it was here that I had a conversation about Bobby playing a Les Paul back in the day and I finally found a photo of it from 1971. I think I have one in print somewhere that's a little better, maybe from the Taper's Compendium color section?

Anyway:
http://www.deadlistening.com/2010/04/19 ... arbor.html
What? You want to go back on topic? :smile: