#85440  by strumminsix

What are the chords? I hear alot of single note runs and they are clues but I feel like I'm being mislead.

I'm hearing the following bass tones:
A G F# E

But that leaves lots of chord options:
A G F# E (the F# is wrong)
A G D E (sounds close)
A A7 D7 E (closer)
A G D7 E to E7 after the first strum sounds about the most right.

But I'm not quite sure ....
 #85442  by hogan

Talking to yourself on internet bulletin boards is a telltale sign of psychosis. Hope they let you play guitar in your padded room. :lol:
 #85445  by jeffm725

strumminsix wrote:I found a great vid of Jerry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HcGdhrst18

A G D E to an E7 (first time, each after held the E)

^^^^This^^^^

the F# you are hearing in the Bass is just the bass player highlighting the 1st inversion of the D chord.
 #85447  by strumminsix

hogan wrote:Talking to yourself on internet bulletin boards is a telltale sign of psychosis. Hope they let you play guitar in your padded room. :lol:
They'll let me have a guitar but no strings :twisted:

Thanks, Jeff!!!
 #85457  by strumminsix

FretWilkes wrote:You kids settle down back there. Don't make me pull this car over!
I knew masturbation comment would incite a response from the guy with a quote from "the JERK" in his signature line :lol:
 #85459  by FretWilkes

strumminsix wrote:
FretWilkes wrote:You kids settle down back there. Don't make me pull this car over!
I knew masturbation comment would incite a response from the guy with a quote from "the JERK" in his signature line :lol:
I always thought my nickname should have been "Tug".
 #152619  by wabisabied

strumminsix wrote:I found a great vid of Jerry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HcGdhrst18

A G D E to an E7 (first time, each after held the E)
I was showed this part as A A7 D E7 and have played it that way for years. Just adding the G bass note achieves this, and you can walk that down to the F# bass note within the D (with a little fancy fingering) on your way to the E7.
 #152631  by Charlie

The version I do is based on Dylan's Highway 61 recording, but I've always played it as

IA/G/I 2/4 D/I E///I E///I

I'm a bass player so I could be actually playing the dominant seventh note of the A7 chord when I go to G, but I think it works fine either way. Substituting the D for an F# bass note (the major third of the D chord) would also work in a descending bassline from A down to E.