Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #83572  by Counterstriker

I've been listening to some Bluesy JGB stuff ( thats what love will make you do. think) and I see he does chord inversions but they have a different sound to them - I've tried many variations of C since both songs are in C and I can't seem to find them - They each have a different taste to them but the root is still C or F G what ever chord he's on.

Any help?

thanks!!
 #83625  by jeffm725

Wow....you really have taken advice and have been listening hard to this stuff...Good for you! Thats fantastic! You have good ears, because there are in fact some signature Jerry Blues "tricks" that you can add to your repertoire. And you are right in that his chord choices and voicings are very interesting when he is playing bluesy stuff.

If you could be specific about the version of Think or TWLWMYD that you are listening to and the time of the inversions you hear, I could probably help.

I can tell you this, he loves to create some movement within the static one chord by fooling with the dominant 7 triad of the one and then pulling off to the 4 chord.

Example: say you are playing in C. You are playing standard E shaped barre at 8th fret. He will then hit the C7 triad off of that. He plays the triad on the 4(d)-3(g)-2(b) strings.
The triad would be: 10th fret D string (C note)-12th Fret G string (G note)-11th fret B string (Bb note). then pull off that triad to a standard barre across the 8th fret -d-g-b strings (an F chord or the IV of C) before landing back on your 8th Fret standard Barre Chord C
 #83633  by HeadSpace

jeffm725 wrote:Example: say you are playing in C. You are playing standard E shaped barre at 8th fret. He will then hit the C7 triad off of that. He plays the triad on the 4(d)-3(g)-2(b) strings.
The triad would be: 10th fret D string (C note)-12th Fret G string (G note)-11th fret B string (Bb note). then pull off that triad to a standard barre across the 8th fret -d-g-b strings (an F chord or the IV of C) before landing back on your 8th Fret standard Barre Chord C
Cool and thanks. I, for one, am going to try that. But wouldn't that "standard barre across the 8th fret d-g-b strings" be an E-flat chord, rather than F? Pardon my often dubious theory knowledge.
 #83685  by jeffm725

HeadSpace wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:Example: say you are playing in C. You are playing standard E shaped barre at 8th fret. He will then hit the C7 triad off of that. He plays the triad on the 4(d)-3(g)-2(b) strings.
Cool and thanks. I, for one, am going to try that. But wouldn't that "standard barre across the 8th fret d-g-b strings" be an E-flat chord, rather than F? Pardon my often dubious theory knowledge.
yup.....you are right,should read 10th fret .......... thats what happens when I do this at work......
 #83905  by Counterstriker

Thanks!

I would like to learn many variations of these chords but some that stick out are in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3pM9gc3-Q

during the first verse he does a lot of cool things - little things, but the little things in my opinion make it sound good.

Around 50 seconds to 60 he does some cool things!

Thanks again !

and the chord at 1:11!
 #83908  by jeffm725

OK....
believe it or not he is not actually doing that much here.

first of all the chord at 1:11 is just a standard c9 at the 3rd fret:
http://jguitar.com/chordsearch/C9

I think alot of what you think are the "odd chords" are just the F9 he is playing at the change to the 4 and the the aforementioned C9 at 1:11...

other than that he is doing his standard little chord fill deal. doing the quick hammer on/pull off trill from the minor 3rd to the major 3rd on the G string within the full C barre at the 8th Fret. That is a standard textbook trill used by EVERYONE. (think of Piece of my Heart by Janis Joplin, those chords use the same trills)

I'll post a 30 second vid demo when I get home, it is gravy....but the overall thing you need to take out of this example is use your 9th chords! He is just substituting the C9 and F9 for the standard C and F chords (but not always...thats the difference...change it up)
 #83909  by jeffm725

Oh and at 1:44 he plays the same c9 at the 7th fret (see c9 link in above post)
 #83910  by jeffm725

actually..I was just thinking, Counterstriker, do you use skype at all? If you do, we could set a couple minutes aside and I will show you what I am talking about over a video conference........
 #83942  by Samson

Not to totally derail what's going on here, but I'm more interested in that burly uppercut Jerry throws at 2:10... ooof...

Sam
 #83955  by mijknahs

The chords I'd use on something like "That's What Love" would be the;

C7 - (root C on the 6th st., 8th fret, E on the 5th st., 7th fret, Bb on the 4th st., 8th fret, and the E on the 3rd st., 9th fret.)

F9 - (root on the 5th st., 8th fret)

G9 - (root on the 5th st., 10th fret)
 #83964  by rugger

Not to totally derail what's going on here, but I'm more interested in that burly uppercut Jerry throws at 2:10... ooof...
No derailment...it's all about the song.

The riff I think you're talking about comes at the 5 of the turnaround (G7 or G9, whatever's your pleasure). He does a little half step slide down with two notes from the chord--c and gflat to b and f. If you are having trouble picturing this, just play the c7 shape up at the eleventh fret and do a quick slide down to the 10th fret (g7). And of course, instead of playing the whole chord, just play a couple of the notes in the middle of the chord shape.

Disclaimer: of course this may not be exactly what he's playing, but it's close and sounds pretty good.

John in San Diego
 #83966  by Billbbill

Samson wrote:Not to totally derail what's going on here, but I'm more interested in that burly uppercut Jerry throws at 2:10... ooof...

Sam

yea this is a great one and totally signature jerry. here it's over the V or G chord and I have it like this:

(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|------------------------
B|------------------------
G|-------------10b-11r-10v--
D|--8h9------9--9b-10r-9v---
A|-------10---------------
E|------------------------

http://www.guitartabcreator.com

what it amounts to is taking the dominant 7th (F) and 3rd (B) of the G7 and bending up a half step or so and releasing along with some vibrato.

I almost never do it cause it just feels too much like thievery! :lol: Maybe I'll start doing it more.
 #83968  by Billbbill

rugger wrote:
No derailment...it's all about the song.

The riff I think you're talking about comes at the 5 of the turnaround (G7 or G9, whatever's your pleasure). He does a little half step slide down with two notes from the chord--c and gflat to b and f. If you are having trouble picturing this, just play the c7 shape up at the eleventh fret and do a quick slide down to the 10th fret (g7). And of course, instead of playing the whole chord, just play a couple of the notes in the middle of the chord shape.

Disclaimer: of course this may not be exactly what he's playing, but it's close and sounds pretty good.

John in San Diego

Ha! What are the chances of this! Me and rugger post almost exactly the same thing at almost exactly the same time! Although where he has it as a slide down I have it as bend and release. Pretty freaking cool though!
 #83970  by rugger

Ha! What are the chances of this! Me and rugger post almost exactly the same thing at almost exactly the same time! Although where he has it as a slide down I have it as bend and release. Pretty freaking cool though!
Ha! You're right! Too funny!

John in San Diego
 #83971  by jeffm725

yup you both got it....I always do it as a 1/2 step bend and release too. That is Jer 101 for sure playing in Blues format.