#83222  by waldo041
 Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am
some proof reading most likely needed, but this is the gist of it.

http://www.wald-electronics.com/preampmods_new.html

peace,
waldo
 #83227  by tcsned
 Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:59 am
Very cool Waldo - thanks!

I just switched back to my TRRI after using a Mesa Mark IV for a couple of years. I didn't think the difference would be as pronounced as it is. Loving it! I'll use it for a few more gigs then sell off the Mark IV and get Brad's preamp.
 #83228  by hogan
 Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:12 am
Cool read.
Re: Proof read
-no alembic in '67
- the Gaelic park gig was 8-26-71, not 8-8
 #83231  by waldo041
 Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am
hogan wrote:Cool read.
Re: Proof read
-no alembic in '67
- the Gaelic park gig was 8-26-71, not 8-8
Thanks Hogan, corrections made!
playingdead wrote:Interesting about the Crest power amp, Mike ... was that to power the early iteration of the MIDI gear?
i thought that in the beginning, but the video's of there use show the signal LED/light as being for guitar use with tiger, and there is another video with wolf, and no midi being used. so, definately was used for analog guitar. still could have been used for midi also, but need to find proof or get proof that it was.

peace,
waldo
 #83234  by jdsmodulus
 Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:56 am
playingdead wrote:Interesting about the Crest power amp, Mike ... was that to power the early iteration of the MIDI gear?
I also employed a Crest amp for MIDI, I tried to run it seperate like JG but in the end it all goes at the same time. I do believe there was some experimenting with Crest instead of the Mac as well.
 #83236  by gr8fullfred
 Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am
Hey Waldo,

I am no expert on this stuff, but I remember reading (possibly in Pro Sound News at the time) that when the Dead moved to the in ear monitors, that what they did with Jerry's Speaker Box was move it under the stage and miked it. That took care of the guitar sound bleeding in to the vocal mikes. Same triple JBLs, in the box, possibly in another box miked under the stage. I was at one concert at Giants Stadium where apparently Jerry had a bad problem with his rig, possibly a blown speaker, and Jerry was not in the mix much if at all that show. It was the year that they brought out Unbroken Chain, and my first ever live UC was disappointing due to no Jerry in the mix.

Great job on all the info, Thanks Waldo,Fred
 #83250  by mijknahs
 Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:38 pm
Great page Waldo! Thanks for your work. Amazing amount of research. I wish we could get some pics of the McIntosh tube amps (MC75) in the late 60's or early 70's.

Jim
 #83251  by JonnyBoy
 Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:45 pm
Great job Mike, you have preserved some of the most important information of our time. I think it is important. How can one understand good tone unless you know how it developed from simple tube amps to digital processors? And IMO Jerry Garcia's work with these sound pirates of the golden age produced tones that we love.

Thanks Mike!!
 #83364  by tigerstrat
 Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 am
gr8fullfred wrote: I was at one concert at Giants Stadium where apparently Jerry had a bad problem with his rig, possibly a blown speaker, and Jerry was not in the mix much if at all that show. It was the year that they brought out Unbroken Chain, and my first ever live UC was disappointing due to no Jerry in the mix.
All of 1995 was like that, not just one show. According to Cutler, it was because Jerry was purposely keeping the volume pot set very low on his guitar- which is something the sound crew cannot remedy.
 #83382  by KCJones
 Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 pm
Beautiful rundown man. Thanks for your hard work and thoroughness! :peas:
 #83409  by JonnyBoy
 Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:44 pm
"Who gives a f%$# what f%$#ing capacitors were in Jer’s amps. By the way Jer had lots of amps. All you twits seem to think there’s some rarefied air around this bunch of junk which is pure bullsh!#."

Lemme guess, Dan?
 #83410  by hogan
 Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:05 pm
JonnyBoy wrote:"Who gives a f%$# what f%$#ing capacitors were in Jer’s amps. By the way Jer had lots of amps. All you twits seem to think there’s some rarefied air around this bunch of junk which is pure bullsh!#."

Lemme guess, Dan?
I'd bet dollars to donuts it was Bear.
 #83420  by jeffm725
 Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:33 am
hogan wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:"Who gives a f%$# what f%$#ing capacitors were in Jer’s amps. By the way Jer had lots of amps. All you twits seem to think there’s some rarefied air around this bunch of junk which is pure bullsh!#."

Lemme guess, Dan?
I'd bet dollars to donuts it was Bear.
I Second that on it being Bear.

Because:

John Cutler: is too kind of a guy to call us twits... :smile:

Steve parish : he would have no problem calling us twits but the rest of the quote doesn't really fit him...

Ron Wickersham: Dont really know, but my gut says it isnt him

Janet Furman: From her posts on this board, I am fairly certain she doesn't think of this as an excercise of "Twits"


Dan Healy: I could believe this quote is from him if it turned out to be confirmed and he would be my second guess after Bear.