#82064  by ugly rumor

That really makes me feel great, Tom! I'm the reason you quit playing Morning Dew? Whew, I must have been worse than I thought! :drink: :P
 #82066  by tcsned

ugly rumor wrote:That really makes me feel great, Tom! I'm the reason you quit playing Morning Dew? Whew, I must have been worse than I thought! :drink: :P
yep, you killed that song for me . . . j/k it just kind of faded and got forgotten as tunes sometimes do. We're dusting off a bunch from the vault this weekend - "Estimated Prophet" also a cool Kantner tune "Sketches of China" and Flesh Failures from "Hair"
 #82068  by ugly rumor

Cool! I knew I would make a difference in the world someday!

Cool link that you and other guitarists may or may not like...I love it. It's Dino Valenti soloing Get Together. I love his phrasing. Kind of interesting to see that his father died in Roanoke, Virginia.

DinoValenti.com
 #82075  by Counterstriker

Wow guys! This is such a big help! I'm really getting alot out of what you're saying. I am gonna start listening to the earlier Dead stuff, pre 70s. I really like Jerry's blues stuff from that Era. I've picked up quite a few licks from Listening to some old Mr. Charlies and Hard to Handles with the long Jams.

I'm going to go start downloading some Live archive shows from the earlier years, I have probably 50+ live concerts from the 80's to 95.

As far as 65 -70's era what are some show's that I should have in my Itunes library?

Really guys thanks! :smile: :smile:
 #82076  by tigerstrat

Counterstriker wrote:Wow guys! This is such a big help! I'm really getting alot out of what you're saying. I am gonna start listening to the earlier Dead stuff, pre 70s. I really like Jerry's blues stuff from that Era. I've picked up quite a few licks from Listening to some old Mr. Charlies and Hard to Handles with the long Jams.

I'm going to go start downloading some Live archive shows from the earlier years, I have probably 50+ live concerts from the 80's to 95.

As far as 65 -70's era what are some show's that I should have in my Itunes library?

Really guys thanks! :smile: :smile:
'66: 3/18
'67: "5/5", 10/22
'68: "1/23", 2/2, 2/14, 8/21, 9/2, 10/12, 10/30, 11/1(!!)
'69: 2/11,14,15(!),21,27(Live_Dead),28 ...4/6, 10/25,11/2,12/12
'70: soooo much... 1/2, all of Feb, 3/21, 4/15, 4/24, 5/15(RT), 9/18&19...
 #82077  by JonnyBoy

Scoop up Boston Mass 4-23-1969 at The Ark, I believe, I could be wrong about the venue name, but not the date and city. Its a good recording considering the age. Garage Band Dead, I love it. That was a killer time in their career and a killer time for music in general.
You are heading the right direction, keep on truckin!
 #82082  by Rusty the Scoob

JonnyBoy wrote:Scoop up Boston Mass 4-23-1969 at The Ark, I believe, I could be wrong about the venue name, but not the date and city. Its a good recording considering the age. Garage Band Dead, I love it. That was a killer time in their career and a killer time for music in general.
You are heading the right direction, keep on truckin!
Correct on all accounts! Great show!
 #82128  by jefkahn

One thing that hasn't been mentioned enough is Jerry's rhythm playing. There are lots of times where Jerry's just strumming along (Foolish Heart, Bertha, etc). Whereas his rhythm work may not be as special as his lead work, learning the "Jerry Style" ought to include a healthy dose of rhythm playing too.
 #82152  by Counterstriker

Thanks guys! I've been listening to the shows you've recommended since yesterday! I've definitely picked up some licks and am really seeing how Jerry progressed, I really liked his staccato type blues playing, I'm definitely adding this to the way I play. I also notice how his triplets didn't sound as fluent as they did in the later years. Don't get me wrong.. they are way better then mine will probably be for a very long..

I can't find any of the older shows that are downloadable off archives they are all soundboard.

another question! This is a specific lick that I can't get... It's a lick Jerry used alot in Hell in a Bucket, alot of blues songs.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-0 ... sbeok.shnf

If you listen to Hell in a Bucket you will here it at about 43 seconds in to about 45. It sounds pretty simple as a backwards run but I can't seem to get it. I'm always missing notes.

Thanks again!
 #82238  by dleonard

I'm assuming that you're talking about Jerry's lick while Bob sings "seems like the least i could do"

I can't figure out how to do this tab on the tab creator. But, it's the A and C notes of a regular old A chord on the 2nd fret, then slide down to the Ab(using same strings the whole time), then chromatically up to the B chord, where that little lick ends.
 #82239  by strumminsix

dleonard wrote:I'm assuming that you're talking about Jerry's lick while Bob sings "seems like the least i could do"

I can't figure out how to do this tab on the tab creator. But, it's the A and C notes of a regular old A chord on the 2nd fret, then slide down to the Ab(using same strings the whole time), then chromatically up to the B chord, where that little lick ends.
And while that is happening Bobby is playing a power chord A off the 5th fret, flattens the root, then back, flatens back and up to the B!
 #82262  by Billbbill

Here's what I hear here. ;-)

(/) Slide Up (\) Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|-------------------------------------------------------------
B|--10--9--7---------------------------------------------------
G|-------------10--9--7-----7--9--------------------------------
D|------------------------9--------9--8--7-----------------------
A|------------------------------------------9--8--7--6-----------
E|-------------------------------------------------------7--5--7--
http://www.guitartabcreator.com
 #82263  by tigerstrat

Counterstriker wrote:That's not the lick I mean but that is an awsome lick i would also love to know. The one I'm talking about almost sounds like a scale exercise but I can't seem to get it.
Are you talking about the E maj > E min walkdown over "I might be goin' to hell in a bucket, babe" ?