Chat about Equipment Info
 #76561  by Kennay

10 years ago I read a JG interview in GP magazine where he said he used Vinci strings. I bought a few sets and was very dissapointed. They felt rusty and brittle and sounded anemic. I thought it was a JG Merry Prankster joke! I was never going to buy them again. But a few weeks ago I was at juststrings.com and saw that they were selling Vincis. I`ve read some ringing endorsements here and gave them another try. At $3.38 a pack what the hell! I just want to say that they are the bomb! I guess I got a bad batch 10 years ago. I`m loving the tone I`m getting from the 10`s on my guitar now. And they come with 2 E strings. Once again I thank all you guys posting here. Getting closer every day on the quest for that sound.
 #76563  by mijknahs

Glad they work out for you. I bought "half a gross" around 10 years ago and I'm still going through them. They're still sounding good too.
 #77465  by Emoto

I have learned that Vinci strings are no more. According to a very garrulous support guy at Washburn (who had taken over Vinci) the old original string winding machines were sold off about 3 years ago to (he thought) the Philippines, and they have been selling something made by someone else under the Vinci name since that time. Recebtly, they have stopped doing that.

Not to say that the name won't ever come back, but we are now past the end of the line, and with the old machines gone forever, they will never be the same, even if they resume production.
 #77466  by Jon S.

Emoto's post answers my question as to why the juststrings web page doesn't list .10's as available any more.

http://www.juststrings.com/vincielectricguitar.html
 #77469  by Emoto

Jon S. wrote:Emoto's post answers my question as to why the juststrings web page doesn't list .10's as available any more.

Yup. I had an order in with them and they sent me fewer sets than I had ordered and then followed up with an email that they were discontinued. I wrote back and forth with their cust service person who said she thought they stopped making them, and that got me on the warpath about finding out what really happened. Wish things turned out differently.

Now I have to figure out what to use next.
 #77474  by SarnoMusicSolutions

FWIW,

the strings that matter are the wound ones, I think .026, .036, and .046. The solid strings can be D'Addarios or whatever. See if you can get Vinci singles in those three gauges.

Brad
 #77477  by SpaceYrface43

I just recieved 10 packs of Vinci's last week tuesday from juststrings, must have been the end of the line. I have yet to try them out this was the first batch i have ever had.
 #77591  by mijknahs

That's weird they don't offer the .10 gauge anymore. The heavier .09-.48 set looks good at least for the wound strings. I do like .10, .13, and .17 for the highs though. I think a good set would be .11, .13, .17, .28, .38, .48

Jim
 #77593  by Emoto

mijknahs wrote:That's weird they don't offer the .10 gauge anymore. The heavier .09-.48 set looks good at least for the wound strings. I do like .10, .13, and .17 for the highs though. I think a good set would be .11, .13, .17, .28, .38, .48

Jim
It is just old stock. Once that is gone, it cannot be replenished.
 #77600  by Jon S.

Jon S. wrote:Emoto's post answers my question as to why the juststrings web page doesn't list .10's as available any more.

Don't you love it when you learn "no one reads my posts." :P
 #81863  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I'm trying to contact Dan Duffy who took over Vinci from Tom Vinci at one point before they became extinct or got absorbed by D'Aquisto, I think. Anyone know how to contact Dan Duffy diretcly? I want to ask him what string made today will be closest to that metal alloy formula to get the Vinci sound...

Brad
 #81873  by Emoto

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I'm trying to contact Dan Duffy who took over Vinci from Tom Vinci at one point before they became extinct or got absorbed by D'Aquisto, I think. Anyone know how to contact Dan Duffy diretcly? I want to ask him what string made today will be closest to that metal alloy formula to get the Vinci sound...

Brad
That'd be great, Brad.

The guy at Washburn did indicate that someone else now had the rights, he had no idea who that was or if they were doing anything with it, although he seemed to think nothing was happening.
 #81878  by strumminsix

Emoto wrote:The guy at Washburn did indicate that someone else now had the rights, he had no idea who that was or if they were doing anything with it, although he seemed to think nothing was happening.
I'm feeling a mutron thingy happening...
 #81881  by SarnoMusicSolutions

A friend was told by John Virtale at US Music Corp that these recent last days of Vinci branded strings were actually sourced by D'Addario, and weren't really Vinci's. All I want to know is who makes a string that has a alloy/plating on the wound strings that most closely resembles the Vinci formula.

It's been a while, but I remember being on a GHS Boomers kick back in the 90's when my box of Vinci's ran out. I'll have to try them again. My sense of D'Addarios compared to EB Slinky's is that the D'Addario's are brighter/crisper.

B
Last edited by SarnoMusicSolutions on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.