Chat about Equipment Info
 #74755  by Staemius

You can tell a good recording by how the sound of "heavy air" is coming across - listen for that. :P
 #122411  by GuesstimatedProphet

Bump...I found this on a search. Any more recommendations for specific shows that sound really good, audio quality-wise? I rarely get a chance to download anything because I am on a dial-up at home, but I will have high speed access for the next few days and wanted to try to grab a few shows. I have followed a lot of the recommendations in this thread (Charlie Miller, matrices, etc.) but am interested in any more input about high audio quality and great recordings. Thanks...
 #122417  by zambiland

The best sounding dead recording I ever heard was the Europe '72 box set high resolution files at Airshow Mastering here in Boulder. David Glasser saw me walking by and pulled me into the studio and played me a few cuts, including a Sing Me Back Home that just felt like the band was right there in front of us. It was utterly three dimensional, everything was palpable and you could feel the space around each instrument and the whole layout of the stage. The CD release sounds very nice, but at high resolution through David's mastering rig, it's just an otherworldly experience.
 #122421  by tigger

I don't think you can lose with a Seamons matrix in terms of sound quality... it won't necessarily be the best PERFORMANCE though. Sample on archive.org before downloading!
 #122434  by Grant

I frequently go back to the AUDs from 7/21/74 and 6/21/80

+ anything from the MOTB guys is fantastic (search the archive)

As far as how the band sounded collectively, I lean towards One From The Vault
 #122435  by Grant

tigger wrote:I don't think you can lose with a Seamons matrix in terms of sound quality... it won't necessarily be the best PERFORMANCE though. Sample on archive.org before downloading!
Well it's the same performance... just from different perspectives

But I get that while a great compromise, they are still a compromise.
 #122448  by tigger

I meant you might have the opinion that it was an off night for the band, it's just the best sounding version of an off night.