#970  by Guest

I always thought bobby said "where is the dark star" in lost sailor
(and then I'd say to myself 2nd set)

#980  by ebick

You weren't alone as evidenced by the roar of the crowd everytime that line came up. For many years, it was just wishful thinking.

Along the same lines, at New Haven, 4/22/83 (one of the best show's I've been to, especially the first set), the 2nd song was Bird Song. As Jerry was singing, "...the snow and rain", I was thinking to myself, "how 'bout some rain and snow". Later in that set, we got an, at the time, very unusually placed Cold Rain & Snow.

Just in case you didn't know.......

A Dog Star is the star you see on maps showing direction (N, W, S, E).
 #1232  by jhc

The Dog Star is Sirius, the brightest star in the sky and one of the 57 stars of celestial navigation...

Now who has actually attempted to play this song ;)

#1233  by Billbbill

Here's one I stumbled on a long, long time ago. I looked up "dew" in the dictionary out of curiosity and found it's an acronym for distant early warning. Now think Franklins Tower lyrics.

#5360  by maximinus

Anyone got any tab for Phil's parts? He's pretty high up in the mix on Go To Heaven.

#7427  by maximinus

What the hell, there's no bass tab for this, so for all you Phil fans here, this is the start of my tab for this song.

I've played it like this a few times now, so I know it works. If I get any reply to this thread I'll get on and post the rest:
Code: Select all
Intro: (or jam on F# Phrygian)

G|---------------2--------
D|-----4------------5-----
A|--------2h3h4-----------
E|--2---------------------

Same riff x2 for:-

Compass card is spinning,
Helm is swinging to and..

fro...
G|---------------
D|-0h2-2-2-2p0---
A|-------------2-
E|---------------

Intro riff x2 for:-
Oh    where's the dog star,
Oh

Where's the moon?          You're a lost sailor, you've been too long at sea.

G|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|--2--0--2--2--2p0--------------------------------------------5/7--5--7--10--9--5--7-----
A|-------------------2-----------4--5--5--4-----------------------------------------------
E|----------------------5--5--5--------------5--0--0--2--3--5-----------------------------

Repeat all that for second verse:

Some days the gales are howling,
Some days the sea is still as glass.
Oh raise the mainsail,
oh lash the mast.
You're a lost sailor, been way too long at sea.

Now the shoreline beckons It is the price for being free
G|----------------------
D|--4--5--4--2----------
A|--------------5--4--3-
E|----------------------
Ok, thats enough for - way past my bedtime. I'll bang out the rest over the next week or so.

#7433  by BlobWeird

I love playin this song...I just love the way he sings that one line You are looooosst sailor...Gives me chills everytime. But if im gonna play it i play Althea>st cir.>lost sailor

#7435  by shakedown_04092

maximinus wrote:What the hell, there's no bass tab for this, so for all you Phil fans here, this is the start of my tab for this song.

I've played it like this a few times now, so I know it works. If I get any reply to this thread I'll get on and post the rest:
Intro: (or jam on F# Phrygian)

G|---------------2--------
D|-----4------------5-----
A|--------2h3h4-----------
E|--2---------------------

Same riff x2 for:-

Compass card is spinning,
Helm is swinging to and..

fro...
G|---------------
D|-0h2-2-2-2p0---
A|-------------2-
E|---------------

Intro riff x2 for:-
Oh    where's the dog star,
Oh

Where's the moon?          You're a lost sailor, you've been too long at sea.

G|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|--2--0--2--2--2p0--------------------------------------------5/7--5--7--10--9--5--7-----
A|-------------------2-----------4--5--5--4-----------------------------------------------
E|----------------------5--5--5--------------5--0--0--2--3--5-----------------------------

Repeat all that for second verse:

Some days the gales are howling,
Some days the sea is still as glass.
Oh raise the mainsail,
oh lash the mast.
You're a lost sailor, been way too long at sea.

Now the shoreline beckons It is the price for being free
G|----------------------
D|--4--5--4--2----------
A|--------------5--4--3-
E|----------------------
Ok, thats enough for - way past my bedtime. I'll bang out the rest over the next week or so.
PLEASE POST THE REST - my brother plays bass and could really use some help; we've just started to tackle this song, I can't wait till it's done!

#7436  by maximinus

After 'Price for being free'. you play a little riff:
G|----------------
D|--7-7p5h75-4-5--
A|----------------
E|----------------
Then play the intro riff 2 times before entering the 'Yea the sebirds crying' bit, which goes like this:
Play the intro riff moved up by 2 frets twice:

G|---------------4--------
D|-----6------------7-----
A|--------4h5h6-----------
E|--4---------------------

Then this little run:

G|-----------------------------------
D|--6--8--9--11--7--7p5h7--5--4--3---
A|-----------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------
Hang on this final note for a while

Then play this very simple riff for the outro:
G|------------------
D|--7--7p5h7-5-4-5--
A|------------------
E|------------------
Then you can just alternate between the 4th and 5th frets on the D string, or get real funky and play an F# phrygian mode over it.

Hmmm. I'll think about rewriting this, adding an mp3 of me doing it over the weekend. I'll probably post the Lost Sailor part as well, no point in having just half of it done.... 8)

#7438  by shakedown_04092

maximinus wrote:Hmmm. I'll think about rewriting this, adding an mp3 of me doing it over the weekend. I'll probably post the Lost Sailor part as well, no point in having just half of it done.... 8)
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

#40783  by playingdead

Can anyone give me the correct tab/chords/notes for the intricate little one-bar turnaround after the "been too long at sea" line? My band broke this one out the other night and we definitely don't have it right yet.

Video here (mistakes and all!):

http://www.playingdead.net/harpers032108.html

Thanks!

#40784  by Tennessee Jedi

Great videos man!
Can you tell yer camera dude to ONLY watch the Jerry guys hands so I can better steal licks?
You guys wail ! :smile:

Re:

#103778  by Phil Lesh101

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Great videos man!
Can you tell yer camera dude to ONLY watch the Jerry guys hands so I can better steal licks?
You guys wail ! :smile:
... He is the Jerry guy...