#73842  by playingdead

At our last gig in Worcester, my rhythm guitarist used a chorus for most of the show ... he used a lot of chorus, actually. I can't really recall too many instances of Weir using a chorus, I thought he was more into the flanger and the phaser.

I think a lot of chorus really detunes the guitar too much against the piano and other guitar. Or maybe it's just too much chorus in this instance. Opinions? A small sample from the end of Stella Blue below.

On the bright side, I inspired our bass player to get one of the little 8 pound tube GenzBenz Shuttle heads after he played through mine at our last rehearsal. Mine's the 6.0 (600 watts) and he got the 12.0, which is 1200 watts. I thought he had a really solid low E on Stella Blue (direct from the head to the board, post EQ on the head's DI).

http://www.playingdead.net/stellaexcerpt.mp3

Usual setup for me ... AxeFX -> board -> blah blah blah :shock:
 #73882  by Laytonco

Hey folks,
I think the cl;ip sounds pretty darn good. The UE-400 (78-83) that Bob had had a stereo chorus in it and I have to believe he used it. I dont think Bob ever met an effect he didn't like. So much in fact, he kind of lost me in the 80s. I like that purer tone from the early 70s. I would say Chorus is fine for some tunes but I would use it very sparingly.

Peace,

Gil
 #73884  by strumminsix

Laytonco wrote:Hey folks,
I think the cl;ip sounds pretty darn good. The UE-400 (78-83) that Bob had had a stereo chorus in it and I have to believe he used it. I dont think Bob ever met an effect he didn't like. So much in fact, he kind of lost me in the 80s. I like that purer tone from the early 70s. I would say Chorus is fine for some tunes but I would use it very sparingly.

Peace,

Gil
Got your dates wrong, amigo. He had the UE700 until 1980 IIRC then the 400. (think GD movie = 700) Don't know why though. Would LOVE to know that answer.
The UE700 doesn't have Chorus but does have a STELLAR Flanger, the EQ is outstanding, well the whole thing really just flat out rocks my world.
 #73888  by strumminsix

Laytonco wrote:Really. I stand corrected. On Dozin, under Weir's Gear, it describes a 400 and shows 78-83. Well, dang, anyone wanna trade a 400 for a 700?
I can't be 100% sure on dates but I've seen 77 -79 photos with the UE700 (the 77 photo may have been mislabeled)
1981-2 with the UE400

That said my best guess is that Brent is part of the change. Brent was a big fan of Ibanez Effects and had a stack with the 400 & 405.

Who knows, maybe it was even simpler - the controller between the 400/405 were interchangeable so maybe it was simply a logical decision?!
 #73889  by jdsmodulus

For about 5 years or so I had both the UE 400 & 405 in my rack at the same time. This was a great simple way to get killer Weir tones. I like that they had stereo ins and outs somewhat like true bypass. You just had to turn the footpedal off and on for it to be silent. I agree about Brent, he had all Ibanez effects to start and maybe a moog?
 #73893  by jeffm725

jdsmodulus wrote:For about 5 years or so I had both the UE 400 & 405 in my rack at the same time. This was a great simple way to get killer Weir tones. I like that they had stereo ins and outs somewhat like true bypass. You just had to turn the footpedal off and on for it to be silent. I agree about Brent, he had all Ibanez effects to start and maybe a moog?
I have the 400 and 405 in my rack and also I have an AD202, all of weirs tones from 78-82 lay in there..........

Actually Brent had a prophet (think of his solo off alabama on Go to Heaven, I love that he still played that solo like the album for the first year or 2 live, before the Dead twisted him "their way")

Vic,
Bobby used the chorus sparingly at times especially late summer/fall 78...........However I strongly agree on the opinion of the chorus detuning from the keys/lead guitar when used heavily, that indeed happens and makes things sound a little "off"

Gil, don't fret :smile: there were periods in that same frame where Bobby absolutely used a UE700 (Brent too),
Bobby alternately used the 700 and the 400, I dont believe he ever actually used the 405 onstage, but a great unit nonetheless. The compressor on the 405 is much better than the 400 compressor and it has the nice Analog delay on it too (which I dont use much since I have the ad202 which really is THE kick ass Analog delay ; along with the 230)
 #73896  by jeffm725

strumminsix wrote:
Laytonco wrote:Hey folks,

Peace,

Gil
Got your dates wrong, amigo. He had the UE700 until 1980 IIRC then the 400. (think GD movie = 700) Don't know why though. Would LOVE to know that answer.
The UE700 doesn't have Chorus but does have a STELLAR Flanger, the EQ is outstanding, well the whole thing really just flat out rocks my world.

Strummin' are you sure that the UE700 was in his rack in 74? I never heard that before, cool if true, I was under the impression the 700 was not even in existence in 1974.
I thought he started working with Ibanez on guitars before effects and the Ibanez effects came after he started using their guitars.
His rack then (in 74) I know had some Alembic custom made EQ's and an Eventide clockworks delay seems to ring a bell, plus he did have some kind of phase or flange device too.......... but I didnt know about the 700 being then. Learn something new everyday.
 #73913  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:Strummin' are you sure that the UE700 was in his rack in 74? I never heard that before, cool if true, I was under the impression the 700 was not even in existence in 1974.
I thought he started working with Ibanez on guitars before effects and the Ibanez effects came after he started using their guitars.
His rack then (in 74) I know had some Alembic custom made EQ's and an Eventide clockworks delay seems to ring a bell, plus he did have some kind of phase or flange device too.......... but I didnt know about the 700 being then. Learn something new everyday.
D'OH! Meant "Closing of Winterland" DVD. Sorry and thanks.
 #73927  by mkaufman

In general, Weir used the AD230 & UE700 in the 70's and the UE400 in the 80's. Those dates are not exact so don't flame me.

I'm pretty sure that in the Bobby & the Midnights DVD he's playing both the UE400 & UE405.

My guess is that he moved to the UE400 because Ibanez moved to the UE400 and they were significantly cheaper. All-in-all, I've owned many UE400's & UE405's and I've never experienced 'the' sound. The UE700 & AD230 are in a different class all together.

mk