name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #68493  by adkroot

Hello everyone,

I've been enjoying this site for some time now and thought I might like to register to utilize the forums better.

I live in the Western Adirondacks of Upstate NY.
I've been playing for about 27 years and I'm sorry to say that that doesn't indicate my abilities, but instead how much fun I have playing.
I play acoustic, but would like to try my hand at electric. I'm playing a few different models, but primarily my main guitar is a Martin d28 1935 special that was reissued in 93. It' got a great tone and some volume and is a real responsive guitar. I got in to playing first with my banjo and under the influence of bluegrass and mostly old-time fiddle tunes. I listened to some rock at the time and when I first heard the Dead I became aware that they were the perfect combination/mix of the music styles I enjoyed. So I play under the influence of the Dead.

Looking forward to reaping the benefits of the of the collective info out there and contributing what I can. I'd like to find others nearby that I can jam with - I live in a fairly remote area in the woods here and the nearby town has a pretty small population. There's not much of a community of guitar players to connect with.
Thanks for the site!
 #68504  by jackr

Welcome to the forum. Love that Martin D28.
 #68519  by Good Times

Welcome aboard. I was up your way visiting some family a couple of weeks ago :smile:
 #68539  by 1960strat

Greetings and welcome.... I am originally from Barneveld, NY....
 #68544  by adkroot

sack the wack wrote:Where in western ADK? My lady has a place up there.
The Old Forge area.
 #68546  by sack the wack

Ah! We're up near Cranberry. Got a place on the water there and we jam on the dock. One late afternoon, we were playing and a party boat pulls up with two guitar players and a stand-up bass. We tied them off and jammed for a couple of hours. They had heard us so they loaded up and came on over. There was about 9 folks on the boat. They didn't play any Dead stuff but it was still pretty funn.
 #71727  by glencl

i love the adirondacs,go to lake george every year!like to get together for a dead jam this summer?
 #71729  by bpg21

Wow! lots of people here familiar with the Adirondacks. I have a place near Chestertown.