#66064  by b weird

For years now I've said I hate Phish but to tell the truth I've never really listened to them, where's a good place to start?
What are good studio albums and what the best live years?
 #66066  by tigerstrat

You'll get a zillion different answers.

Best albums: Rift, Hoist, Lawn-Boy

Peak live: 1992-95
 #66068  by b weird

Yes I'm aware that I'll get a zillion different answers most of which will probably contradict each other, but whatever?
I'm surprised to see quite a few of Phish's albums are out of print, why is that, does anyone know?
 #66071  by GratefulPat

anythgin live 91-95, aslo a handful of rockers in 98 and billy breathes as far as album goes
 #66072  by Rusty the Scoob

I really like the new album, Joy. It's a good mix of simple and complex tunes, and well-produced.

As far as years, I'd avoid 2003 and 2004 as the peak of Trey's habit really dragged them down. I like 1992 for their emerging, raw energy, 1994 is very solid, right when they got used to playing big venues, and 1997-1998 were awesome funky danceable years.
 #66075  by NashvilleMike

b weird wrote:For years now I've said I hate Phish but to tell the truth I've never really listened to them, where's a good place to start?
What are good studio albums and what the best live years?For years now I've said I hate Phish but to tell the truth I've never really listened to them, where's a good place to start?
What are good studio albums and what the best live years?

Don't do it man...
 #66090  by GratefulPat

fukc that do it! i used to swear to phish being better and tighter than the dead. no longer is that the case but listen to em, just got my joy cd today and it rocks! BUY JOY IF YOU ARE A PHAN!
 #66154  by tigerstrat

Character Zero? Bathroom song for me. That's when I first felt like they were really phoning it in writing-wise. Nah I retract that- make it Prince Caspian.
 #66193  by Chuckles

Whatever you do, don't pick up Live in Brooklyn. It gave me a migrane all the way from StL to DC this summer after listening to half of it. Probably 'cause of the junk as Rusty said.

I keep wanting to give them a shot, but can't ever find anything that I like as much as Nectar...

Oh well, stuck with the Dead I guess...
:D
 #66273  by prephippie

b weird wrote:Is there a place where I can find Phish shows, like the Dead have Archive?
The mother load:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... f6EQ&gid=1

As far as the best live years, I like 93-97. The Island Tour in '98 is also very good. Anything after 2000 is "meh" for me, although there are plenty of solid shows to be found there too.

And now, for your viewing pleasure - A sick Tweeprise from 4/3/98 (Island Tour) with Trey doing the dino stomp...possibly my favorite video on youtube (Turn it up LOUD!):

#66437  by Capt Rosebuddy

While free is always better, I have to say every one of the Live Phish releases I have heard are excellent, can't go wrong with any of 'em. My personal favorite is the the 12/28/94 one, partly because of the religious experience I had that night. :hail:

Tour wise two of my favorites are the spring run in '93 (5/1/93 in particular is just insane!!) and fall '94 esp. the whole month of November.

hope that helps
 #66438  by tigerstrat

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:While free is always better, I have to say every one of the Live Phish releases I have heard are excellent, can't go wrong with any of 'em. My personal favorite is the the 12/28/94 one, partly because of the religious experience I had that night. :hail:

Tour wise two of my favorites are the spring run in '93 (5/1/93 in particular is just insane!!) and fall '94 esp. the whole month of November.

hope that helps
We're definitely on the same wavelength with this- my spring 93 recommendation is 4/12/93 Iowa City and my fall 94 would be 11/26/94 Minneapolis with the absolutely insane 34min Bowie... and do not miss the 6/10&11/94 Red Rocks!