#62594  by bodiddley

Ain't no rockin' goin' on around here lately. This will be the second or third year in a row now that ABB hasn't made a stop. Can't believe DMB is actually coming here next month. I'm thinkin about goin', but then there's the frat boy factor. Cleveland's cursed, but at least I can say I'm not a native. At least Akron (Crackron) has Chrissy Hynde.
 #62646  by GratefulPat

saw the forum, had to get this in... I LOVE PHISH! but..... i saw them sunday(last night) at alpine and it was the absolutely most fantastic shit hole show i have ever seen. so now, they can go phuck themselves. i heard the night before rocked as well as dear creek, but idk... tour closer at alpine was so slow, could of fallen asleep minus a second set down with disease... :cool: :?
 #62654  by tigerstrat

GratefulPat wrote:saw the forum, had to get this in... I LOVE PHISH! but..... i saw them sunday(last night) at alpine and it was the absolutely most fantastic shit hole show i have ever seen. so now, they can go phuck themselves. i heard the night before rocked as well as dear creek, but idk... tour closer at alpine was so slow, could of fallen asleep minus a second set down with disease... :cool: :?

worse than '97-'04 ??!?!
 #62656  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:
GratefulPat wrote:saw the forum, had to get this in... I LOVE PHISH! but..... i saw them sunday(last night) at alpine and it was the absolutely most fantastic shit hole show i have ever seen. so now, they can go phuck themselves. i heard the night before rocked as well as dear creek, but idk... tour closer at alpine was so slow, could of fallen asleep minus a second set down with disease... :cool: :?

worse than '97-'04 ??!?!
I'm gonna guess there is an age thing going on here. Pat you are a younger dude, yes? The setlist is below and I see tons of shit I would love to see live. My first phish show was 94, IIRC. For simplicities sake I'll just BOLD what I think rocks!

06/21/09 Alpine Valley Music Theatre - East Troy, WI
1: Brother, Wolfman's Brother, Funky Bitch > The Divided Sky, Joy, Back On The Train, Taste, Poor Heart, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Time Turns Elastic
2: Crosseyed and Painless > Down With Disease > Bug > Piper > Wading In The Velvet Sea, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Slave To The Traffic Light
E: Grind, Frankenstein
 #62658  by tigerstrat

strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:

worse than '97-'04 ??!?!
I'm gonna guess there is an age thing going on here. Pat you are a younger dude, yes? The setlist is below and I see tons of shit I would love to see live. My first phish show was 94, IIRC. For simplicities sake I'll just BOLD what I think rocks!

06/21/09 Alpine Valley Music Theatre - East Troy, WI
1: Brother, Wolfman's Brother, Funky Bitch > The Divided Sky, Joy, Back On The Train, Taste, Poor Heart, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday, Time Turns Elastic
2: Crosseyed and Painless > Down With Disease > Bug > Piper > Wading In The Velvet Sea, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Slave To The Traffic Light
E: Grind, Frankenstein
Nick, those are pretty consistent oldschool tastes, with a single exception: no love for "Brother"??? That is some exceptionally hard and groovy Yidd-funk, in fact I remember the first time I heard a recording of the song: it caught my ear in the lot at Hampton 3/5/92 (GD show), probably the only Phish-leg playing in the entire lot at that time, blasting out of a hatchback that was attracting passers-by to dance at a steady rate. Didn't hear them do it live until 1998 at Grand Rapids, towards the end of my unconditional enchantment with the band.
 #62659  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:
Nick, those are pretty consistent oldschool tastes, with a single exception: no love for "Brother"??? That is some exceptionally hard and groovy Yidd-funk, in fact I remember the first time I heard a recording of the song: it caught my ear in the lot at Hampton 3/5/92 (GD show), probably the only Phish-leg playing in the entire lot at that time, blasting out of a hatchback that was attracting passers-by to dance at a steady rate. Didn't hear them do it live until 1998 at Grand Rapids, towards the end of my unconditional enchantment with the band.
Tom, make no mistake I do dig Brother - just bolded what would have really rocked me! Yup, oldschool tastes indeed which is why I suspect that there may be something to do with when Pat caught the line (wouldn't that be the phish equivalent to caught the bus?!). I remember reviews from the younger generation of Phisheads not knowing some fairly common older phish tunes!!!
 #62668  by Chuckles

I guess I just don't get it. I like some of their stuff. I like a lot of their jams.

But, I saw them once back in 89 or 90 at Lisner Auditoruium and was ready to leave at the break. There's just nothing there to hold my interest for anything more than background music or the occasional spin of a tune or two.

That said, the only thing that jumps out at me from that Alpine setlist is the Crosseyed & Painless - I did enjoy their takes on other people's GREAT tunes. But their originals just bored me to tears; I don't care how well you can jam - if your songs (meaning the ENTIRE song - music & lyrics) are insipid, so's the band.

- EdIT - must have been 94 or 95 or so when I caught them at Lisner.
Last edited by Chuckles on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #62676  by Good Times

I saw Phish a handful of time between 91 and 94. I enjoyed much of their music at the time. I really enjoyed seeing them perform in smaller more intimate venue. I remember being 2 rows back from the stage at a club in Dallas. That to me that is what made the show. Feeling the connection to the band/music. I saw them years later at an outdoor ampitheater and just didn't feel the same connection. It might just be me but it was no longer worth making the effort to attend "larger" shows.

Maybe I was just spoiled by seeing so many Dead shows where it didn't matter how close I was, there was always the connection upon hearing the music. :smile:
 #63422  by Capt Rosebuddy

Good Times wrote: a club in Dallas.

The Bomb Factory. That was a sick show! I wore those tapes out back in the day. I'm glad I finally stumbled on this section of the forum, I've been seeing Phish since '92 on the Santana tour and they have had a profound impact on me. Phish in the early '90's was like no other band around, tight, creative, adventurous they where great every night. I used to say they where the world's greatest bar band because they played so many covers but they where all good ones, songs you wanted to hear them do. I stopped going around '97, then went to a few Philly aria shows after the hiatus and was bitterly disappointed, then they split after the embarrassment of Coventry. Good, time to hang it up i thought. Now they are back. I live in Boston and rode my bike to the Fenway show, it was absolutely amazing!! Like a class reunion I saw people I hadn't seen in years and the band was ON, hooked up and Trey was back to using the Mesa TS9 Ross combo which i love. True the complex stuff was sloppy ie Bowie (I hope it gets better) but the energy the band had was just fantastic, and I anyway really liked the new tunes (Ocelot, Light ect). Anyway sorry for the ramble and I'll see some of you (I hope) in Morrison.
 #65185  by GratefulPat

strummin, i agree the setlist wasnt awful, but the way the tunes were played was awful.. everythign so down beat, so spaced.. ughh it killed me, and i was gunna go the night before which i listened to and was sick in 2009 phish standards.. but idk, worse show ive ever seen.. i believe i saw 11 total starting in 2001 and some of those were great, nothing like 94 95 phish but they were on, but that last show tore me away for good
 #65187  by jdsmodulus

I was at Alpine and I saw the first night. I got miracled by some spun old deadheads that had great seats! (and refused to go in?) So I made my way from the green lot up to the show, walked right in almost front row and was thinking wow this is awesome! I hadn't seen Phish for awhile I've seen them many times before though. Well I liked it for a few tunes, danced a bit, drank a beer or two then I wandered around Alpine looking for friends. I did run into some good ol folks, had a couple more beers then I left. I had a ticket for the next night so I gave it to a friend who was there to vend He said the second night was better? I thought it was good but would not pay or travel to see them any time soon!
 #65189  by Good Times

Capt Rosebuddy wrote:
Good Times wrote: a club in Dallas.

The Bomb Factory. That was a sick show! I wore those tapes out back in the day.
That was for sure the best show I ever saw them play. Not only was the set list and playing just incredible, being that closing and soaking in all the surroundings is something I will never forget. Too bad I was never able to experience that type of feeling seeing them live again.