Chat about Equipment Info
 #58222  by Rusty the Scoob

I had my girlfriend drop off my bass amp's speakers there this morning, and I had a conversation with the repair guy that left me less than confident in their service.... he called my speakers 12"s (they're 10"s), thought I was a guitar player (I'm a bass player, very different speakers), mentioned he was buying generic cone kits and reassured me that they'd sound the same but in a tone of voice that seemed like he just wanted to get me off the phone.

I called again this afternoon hoping to get somebody who cared a little more and got somebody instead who cared a little less. All in all I feel pretty nervous about how they're going to come back. The speakers have no labels on the backs so I'm afraid they'll think they're generic drivers. My bass amp has a tuned & ported cabinet so it's extra important that they come back sounding the way they used to.

I don't know what to think about this. Has anybody used them lately with any luck?
 #58243  by playingdead

They've reconed two E-120s for me last year and they both came out fine. Also had them put a new dustcap on another speaker.

They are your typical older sour New England "whatthefuckdoyouwant" kind of guys ... gruff, not communicative, I got the impression that the guy who actually works on the speakers is barely literate, but he knew what he was doing, or at least he didn't hesitate when he pushed on the cone on the frozen speaker, grabbed a box cutter and stripped it bare in about six seconds to see if the pole assembly was still aligned. Or when it took another six seconds to cut off and replace the dustcap on the other speaker. The third one he just handed back and said, "The dumpster's out back." He didn't elaborate. I got it anyway. LOL
 #58316  by Rusty the Scoob

Gruff I can deal with... I hate phones with a passion and want to get off them as soon as possible. So I talk fast and get to the point. When they ask "whatthefuckdoyouwant" they need to pay attention if the answer is "factory cones, not generic". It's not complicated.

Ok, I feel a lot better now. I gave them yet another call and told them what I wanted and they said "you want original parts from PAS, right?" "Yep" "Ok, I'll check that out and give you a call" click. The better part is that they knew the speakers were made by PAS, who used to make SWR's speakers before Fender bought SWR. Phew!