#51483  by jeffm725

Pete B. wrote:
trking8 wrote:...my favorite was seeing them in englishtown in 77.
Hi t8,
Welcome to the group and glad to see your vids out there.
Hey Man, if you can enlighten us on any of the EnglishTown Eyes parts, that would be most helpful.

Two notable points...
The "Chord Solo" that Jerry takes (during 1st and 2nd guit solo's).
The other one... He does some cool descending run(s) during the couple of seconds that the "EMaj7>Bm>A" jam is on the A-chord (during the 2nd solo), bringing it back to the beginning EMaj7 again.
I could never get those exactly figured out.

Funn Stuff!
~pete b.

Pete, that chord soloing on the englishtown eyes is just about my favorite jerry EVER. That is THE eyes IMHO.
I had a great jazz guitar teacher when I was 18 years old who used to hate me for bringing Dead into my lessons to learn.
However, I brought that englishtown eyes in one week and demanded he figured out the chord solo for me.(I think the one during the first solo break is the best of the 2 in that version) He became obsessed with it, he loved it.
On first listen he goes ..."ooh thats tasty, but pretty simple, it is all just triad inversions" , but when he got down to it he quickly retracted his simple statement. Within those triad inversions there are slide ups, slide downs, hammer ons and jerrys famous "fanning" strums (think the end of any good morning dew)
also, the way he comes out of the chord solo with an ascending run that is just rhythmically and harmonically perfect still blows me away every time I hear it.

23 years later, I still use that chord solo as a technical warm up excercise.

Even just the pre-vocals intro of that Eyes is a study of classic Garcia. It is just sooooooo tasty!
 #51484  by Emoto

jeffm725 wrote: Pete, that chord soloing on the englishtown eyes is just about my favorite jerry EVER. That is THE eyes IMHO.
I had a great jazz guitar teacher when I was 18 years old who used to hate me for bringing Dead into my lessons to learn.
However, I brought that englishtown eyes in one week and demanded he figured out the chord solo for me.(I think the one during the first solo break is the best of the 2 in that version) He became obsessed with it, he loved it.
On first listen he goes ..."ooh thats tasty, but pretty simple, it is all just triad inversions" , but when he got down to it he quickly retracted his simple statement. Within those triad inversions there are slide ups, slide downs, hammer ons and jerrys famous "fanning" strums (think the end of any good morning dew)
also, the way he comes out of the chord solo with an ascending run that is just rhythmically and harmonically perfect still blows me away every time I hear it.

Even just the pre-vocals intro of that Eyes is a study of classic Garcia. It is just sooooooo tasty!
Jeff, I TOTALLY agree with you about this being THE eyes, in spite of many, many other fine renditions. Jerry and the band were on in a big way that night.

Since you use it as an exercise, can you shed any light on what he'd doing there? Even just a few of the forms he uses along the way would be great.

Thanks,

Bob
 #51487  by jeffm725

Emoto wrote:
jeffm725 wrote: Pete, that chord soloing on the englishtown eyes is just about my favorite jerry EVER. That is THE eyes IMHO.

Jeff, I TOTALLY agree with you about this being THE eyes, in spite of many, many other fine renditions. Jerry and the band were on in a big way that night.

Since you use it as an exercise, can you shed any light on what he'd doing there? Even just a few of the forms he uses along the way would be great.

Thanks,

Bob

It would be virtually impossible to tab out properly.
However, I am thinking that maybe a video and just a simple chord chart with some of the shapes/grips jer may have used during that jam would be a start.

I have been meaning to try and post a couple videos for a while as payback for the great stuff I get out of this site, that may be a good one to start with.

#51489  by Tennessee Jedi

Cool Cool
:cool:
Are you the guy with Ibanez Musician ?
It would be cool to hear it with the mods.
:smile:
 #51490  by Emoto

jeffm725 wrote:It would be virtually impossible to tab out properly.
However, I am thinking that maybe a video and just a simple chord chart with some of the shapes/grips jer may have used during that jam would be a start.

I have been meaning to try and post a couple videos for a while as payback for the great stuff I get out of this site, that may be a good one to start with.
A vid would be cool, but what I didn't say articulately, was that the various chord forms that Jerry might have used in there are exactly what I am interested in. They would make a good point of departure for experimentation.

#51506  by jeffm725

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Cool Cool
:cool:
Are you the guy with Ibanez Musician ?
It would be cool to hear it with the mods.
:smile:
yes indeed, I have a couple Musicians...A pristine MC500 from 1979 that I will always keep all original and a 1978 MC400 that has all the Jerry mods and Waldos Tiger buffer in it.
The MC400 is in pieces right now due to a stripped pickup height adjustment hole (which some people on the board gave me some great ideas on how to fix i just havent gotten around to it yet, I better fix it because I have another Legion of Jerry gig on 10/25, but Shakeddown has been so busy lately I have not had time and have been just obviously playing the Casio)

I will get some of the video chord forms up soon but as a starter hint as most of you know, if you are in to playing partial chord voicings that the grips for maj7 and minor chords are exactly the same.
Since the jam in eyes is Emaj7 and B min jerry will use the same chord grips going up and down the neck to play Emaj7 and Bmin voicings. He will then mix and match depending on where he is ascending from or descending to.

Here are the 3 grips to get you started:

Grip 1
Barre across top 3 strings with index

Each example first shows the Emaj7
and then the Bmin using the same grip (3 frets higher)

E|------4------------7--------
B|------4------------7--------
G|------4------------7--------
D|----------------------------
A|----------------------------
E|----------------------------

Grip 2

E|---------------------------------
B|--------9--------------12--------
G|--------8--------------11--------
D|--------9--------------12--------
A|---------------------------------
E|---------------------------------

Grip 3
E|------11------------------14--------
B|------12------------------15--------
G|------13------------------16--------
D|------------------------------------
A|------------------------------------
E|------------------------------------

Notice that no matter what grip you are using that the Emaj7 comes first. By simply sliding that grip up 3 frets you have the Bmin

Now where this gets tricky and challenging and REALLY cool is that he will use Amajor triads (more specifically A6 triads mostly but there will be "straight" A's in there as well) to pass between the Emaj7 and Bmin

The really cool part about the A6 triads is guess what? Thats right, they can be played with the EXACT same 3 grips as the Emaj7 and Bmin.

A6
Grip 1

E|------------------2------
B|------------------2------
G|------------------2------
D|-------------------------
A|-------------------------
E|-------------------------

A6
Grip 2

E|-------------
B|------7------
G|------6------
D|------7------
A|-------------
E|-------------

A6
Grip 3
E|------9-------
B|------10------
G|------11------
D|--------------
A|--------------
E|--------------

Now this is just a very raw start, but if you play with these grips and add the A6 to pass between them you will start to hear things take shape.
Where it gets really cool is that he extends and embellishes on those grips:

Example:

Emaj7 grip 1

E|--------4----
B|--------4----
G|--------4----
D|--------6----
A|-------------
E|-------------

see that we have added G# on the 4th string into the mix. He might now play the inner part of the chord leaving off the top G# on the high E string.

There are hammers, pulls, slurs and slides and all kinds of fun stuff you can do using these basic grips.

I am sure you guys know this stuff so I am sorry if it is old hat, however knowing these grips will make it so much easier when I record the video because they make up 3/4's of the chord soloing (with a ton of embellishment obviously)

#51541  by trking8

extremely useful. simple and it sounds great.

thanks, bud,

t

#51556  by jeffm725

as an example on how to use the grips together, lets look at probably my favorite way to play the Emaj7 Intro vamp.

By the way, I ripped this easy sequence off from Scott Murawski 20 years ago. Most of the Max Creek members lived in my hometown back in the 80's, and riding the rail at countless shows at the Agora Ballroom in West Hartford gave me a birds eye view of Scott' supreme chops. Even if you are the greatest guitarist in the world (which I am as far from as you can get) you can always learn something from watching how another guitar player approaches things.
This is what makes the video sharing here wonderful.

Anyway, here is one of my favorite voicings of the Eyes Intro Vamp
Reference the above post for corresponding grip numbers.

Emaj7(Grip 3)////A6(grip3)//Emaj7(grip2)

If you want it to sound really cool, slide up into that first Emaj7(grip3) from at least 4-5 frets below, while kind of palm muting the slide.