#51392  by Karlus

Chack this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfGD94CchJU

I sure hope this link works. Jerry is definately not playing the song in F it is in Eb. Like a D slid up 1 fret. then Bb F and Dm.The whole song revolves around that pattern

lemme try this.

Eb Bb
Thought I heard a blackbird singin'
F Dm
Up on Bluebird Hill
Eb Bb F
Call me a whinin' boy if you will
Eb Bb
Born where the sun don't shine
F Dm
And I don't deny my name
F C Bb
Got no place to go, ain't that a shame

But it's the chorus that has me confused.

The first line I think I've got figured out.

Gm C
So many roads I tell you
A7 Dm
So many roads I know
Bb F Eb
All I want is one to take me home

But the second line is played a bit different. Something like

Gm C
Mountain high, river wide
A7 Dm
So many roads to ride
Bb F Eb
So many roads - so many roads
Dm C

Yeah! I guess that is right. You just have it in the wrong key. And I saw Bob and Ratdog play it in the same key a couple of years ago.

Oh yeah. And the intro goes G F C then you slide up the 2nd and 4th string alternating until the 8th fret.

I was close enough to see Bobby's hands. I actually got a big kick out of it. It was Halloween and I was dressed up as Jerry which is a pretty easy thing for me to do.

I have a shirt with a picture of Jerry on it, and people that don't know who it as think it is a picture of me. While people that do know who it is ask me if it's a pic of Jerry or a pic of me trying to look like Jerry.

I went down front for a while and Bobby looked at me and had to do a double take. Then he cracked a grate big smile. And the stage manager gave me a copy of the set list. (That was kewl!)

I would have loved to get a chance to meet Bobby. I look like Jerry and I was born on Bobby's 13th B-Day. Tomorrow (Oct 16th) I will be 48 and Bobby will be 61.

I'll always know how old Bobby is juat by adding 13 to my own age. :D

Pax Vobiscum
Karlus (aka Doctor Glue)

---------

I guess the tab thing didn't work. But I think y'all get the idea.

#51393  by Karlus

Hey! How do I upload my picture?

#51394  by 4winds

As far as I know it will happen automatically the more you post on here.

#51412  by strumminsix

Hi! Would you tab out the begining?
Also, what do you hear as the transition chord between verses?

#51413  by Tennessee Jedi

Cool pics
love the Van
That one pic of you in the Bobby approved cut off's does look like Jerry !
Welcome aboard
Never really messed with So Many Roads.
Maybe it went thru changes over the years ....
Or maybe whoever transcribed it did it so it fit their vocal range ?
Peace Dude

#51430  by Karlus

E|--3--3--1--1------------------------------------------------3--
B|--3--3--1--1-----1-------3-------5-------5-------6-------8--4--
G|--0--0--2--2------------------------------------------------3--
D|--0--0--3--3--2-----2/3-----3/5-------5-----5/7-----7/8-----5--
A|--2--2--3--3---------------------------------------------------
E|--3--3--1--1---------------------------------------------------

So sorry. This is my 1st attempt to create a TAB. I hope this works for you. Notice that I finished with the way Jerry was playing the Eb in the video.

The transition is exactly the same thing except he didn't play the G and F. He just did a single strum of an open Dm and then went into the same walk up that I just TABbed out for y'all.

I hope that helps.

PAX
KARLUS.

#51467  by pappypgh

strumminsix wrote:Hi! Would you tab out the begining?
I suck w/ tab, but I know that the intro chord is a Dsus4 to D (in open D chord fashion), then go to a C...walking it up...I don't know how to describe it, but it's a fairly common guitar riff...it hangs on that C chord before going to the song in Eb. Karlus has the key completely correct.

#51468  by strumminsix

pappypgh wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Hi! Would you tab out the begining?
I suck w/ tab, but I know that the intro chord is a Dsus4 to D (in open D chord fashion), then go to a C...walking it up...I don't know how to describe it, but it's a fairly common guitar riff...it hangs on that C chord before going to the song in Eb. Karlus has the key completely correct.
Groovy! I hear the Dsus4 to D. Then a walk up to C from an A note. Then a Cadd5 (open C adding the G with the pinky on the high E, don't know what it's actually called.)

#51474  by Karlus

Hey Pappy. Is it you that has said that you suck at tabs? Or Strumminsix? I'm confused here.

It's actually pretty easy. If you don't already know, there's a link at the top of the page that says "RUKIND" on a Guitar Pick with the words "Tab Creator" under it.

Like I said, what I just posted above was my first attempt at it. But the program is pretty self explanatory, and it pretty much does all of the work for you.

E|--3-- Is this the chord that you are calling a Dsus4?
B|--3-- That's gr8. I just tried it. In fact the song is playing
G|--2-- while I type this. LOL! I don't know how many times
D|--0-- it will play by the time I'm done typing this post.
A|----- (OR how many times I will take a pause from
E|----- typing to play along with it. Tehehe!)

So is this how it goes? Pretty close to what I typed out above. But more like.

E|--3--3--2--2------------------------------------------3--
B|--3--3--3--3-----1-----3-----5---------5-----6-----8--4--
G|--2--2--2--2------------------------------------------3--
D|--0--0--0--0--2-----3-----5---------5-----7-----8-----5--
A|---------------------------------------------------------
E|---------------------------------------------------------

(See how easy it is!?)

Actually. That walkup is a series of Chords. It is C Bb C and then C Dm Eb. Those two notes on the 8th fret are an Eb Chord. Then He dropped to the Eb Chord in the 1st position.

-----

Hey! I just noticed something. I lot of times you hear a Guitar lick and think it's Jerry playing some little thing. But if you look at his hands he is just strumming the Chord. A lot of the little licks you are hearing are actually Bobby running arpeggios of the same Chords Jerry is playing, but somewhere further up the neck.

I'm guessing we all know how much Bobby loves to play in 2nd or 3rd position to make himself look fancy. (<--- Joking!) But Bobby ain't no slouch. I heard him once with Wasserman (Was it Bill or Rob?) and he most certainly held his own on Leads and then some.
--------

I did see another Vid of the song that shows Jerry's hands a lot more of the time than the 1st Vid I posted. (And he didn't mumble the words nearly as much as the other video. LOL!) Lemme see if I can find it.

Here it is, unfortunately this one appears to be in 2 parts.

part one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQiAQRMhyM

and part two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJz6RJXD2c

----------

Well my own B-Day starts in about 2 hours. But Bobby is 3 hours West of me so his doesn't start until 3 hours after that. LOL!

So Hippy B-Day to me! (OK! And Bobby too!)

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu,

KARLUS (aka Doctor Glue)
 #53727  by bodiddley

Cm A7
From the high road to the low
Dm Bb
So many roads I know
Bb F Eb then do the intro again into next verse: Dsus4 D D5 C F Cm7 C Dm Eb
So many roads - so many roads

This pertains to the very lasy section of the last chorus only.