#51370  by Rev_Roach

i think this video wouldve been better named "exploring Emaj7 voicings"

nailing the rhythm? while you seemed to have the rhythm pretty much down, i dont think you counted a single beat to help share that with others.

also wouldve been nice to address the CHORD MOTION. It is not just static Emaj with extension play.
When shit gets cooking after the chorus it goes 2 bars Emaj7, 1 bar Bm, 1 bar A. Remember that E has D# but Bm has D natural, an important difference to emphasize.

im not just trying to talk shit, but 6 minutes of just moving E around the fretboard? you can do better. and some of it is almost demeaning: you dont need to verbally tell the viewer what frets to press when theres a nice picture already telling them. maybe cut this down a to a few minutes and put the leads in the same vid.

on the plus side i like your tone :cool:

#51373  by hesgone95

so i'm gonna have to refer to my post about the G#m....

ur al rong and oviouslie stuck in ur own trips and not able 2 c wut sum 1 else is talkin bout... :lol:

Just kidding. I see the point about it being the high end of an Emaj7 w/o the root. I think it's a matter of perspective and context, b/c I definately use that inversion as a m6 by adding the 6th on the D string in some contexts. I hope that makes sense. But I guess in this context it is much of more a major feel. This is how I would play that m6, which could be a maj7 depending on where your coming from or where you are going. This would be an Am6 or an Fmaj7 for example:

--8--
--10-
--9--
--10-

#51374  by tigerstrat

hesgone95 wrote:ur al rong and oviouslie stuck in ur own trips and not able 2 c wut sum 1 else is talkin bout... :lol:
Loser, Jerry would laff in yer face and spit on ewe! :lol:

#51375  by hesgone95

tigerstrat wrote:
hesgone95 wrote:ur al rong and oviouslie stuck in ur own trips and not able 2 c wut sum 1 else is talkin bout... :lol:
Loser, Jerry would laff in yer face and spit on ewe! :lol:

hahahahahahahaaaa!!!!

Funny TS.... :cool:

Makes a giggly end to a long day in the office, thx...

#51376  by old man down

Well, I liked the vid. But it really didn't help me too much. What I like seeing is someone doing the slide ups so intentionally, though. Real nice on that.

So, what is the Emaj7 scale refered to at the end? I just play the E major scale. Am I missing something? :D

Wait a minute... :D :D

(cough, cough)

:D :D :D

:smile: Better now. :smile:

#51377  by Pete B.

tigerstrat wrote: I'm going to firmly resolve to stay mum on any critiques I may have on vid instructionals, at least until I have a similar capability to respond in vid form.
TS, Any digital camera with a Movie taking funtion will get the vid done.
Get the vid to the computer the same way you would get any pic from same camera to computer.
My computer came with Windows Movie Maker, but there are other downloadable programs out there that will "publish" your vid to your computer drive.
Upload that to YouTube.
There are a few details that you will get worked out after the first few tries.
Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Here's the first vid I ever did, using Eyes intro/outro jam to run scales ala the CAGED method of soloing out of the those chord shapes.
I guess it kinda fits in with this thread title?!
:smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR8f0Do9tAQ

#51388  by caspersvapors

tigerstrat wrote:
Emoto wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Ditto, in this context that "G#m" is a rootless partial of Emaj7, leaving the root to be played by other (assumed) instruments.

I realize I am reverting my usual thorny nitpick self a bit early for a Tuesday, but for a vid titled "Nailing the Rhythm", this seems to be an examination of different ways to voice Emaj7 , with no discussion of different approaches or flavors to the rhythm itself.
Probably time for me to "put up or shut up", just like the man says. I'm going to firmly resolve to stay mum on any critiques I may have on vid instructionals, at least until I have a similar capability to respond in vid form.
Emoto wrote: The questions I've always had and remain confused about are what the heck are they really doing in the intro and during the instrumental. I like terry's thoughts, but it kind of sounds to me like in the intro Jerry goes Emaj7 (7th pos) > Dmaj7 (5th pos) > Emaj7 (4th pos - like a C in the 1st).
It's C#m/E (or "Emaj6") http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.p ... da44a96c90
Emoto wrote: Does the instrumental resolve to A or just go back and forth from Bm to Emaj7? I like the A resolve...
Mostly it just goes the E to the B and back, but the A gets gradually worked in as subtly and elusively as possible, then sometimes JG would emphasize it, apparently to cue everyone to "reel it in" and create an opening for 2nd or 3rd verse.
after watching the intro to this song on the GD movie about a thousand times, for the intro this is what Jerry plays

-Emaj7-A-Emaj7

e--7-----5----4--
b--9-----5----4-
g--8-----6----4----
d--9-----7----6---
a--7-----7----7---
 #51397  by trking8

...for the suggestions. trying to gauge the skill level for these vids, mostly a common sense approach for intermediate players looking to improve some.

I'm just doing portions of tunes b/c if you cover an entire tune, you end up exceeding youtube's time limits. also, I'm assuming that anyone can find and play the remaining chords.

the intent here is to 1) get a sense of the timing 2) come up with an easy conceptual framework for jamming around on this while 3) making it interesting, and reasonably close to the original.

there are some really excellent players posting vids out there that take it to a more advanced level - - like steelyourface: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteelYerFace

interestingly, I bought the Dead's songbook for wake of the flood back in the mid-70's. they list the chords as Emaj7, E6, E for the intro. of course, this was before all of the live permutations. one cool variation is when they slide into the G#min7 jam.

very cool to consider all of the good points. sometimes (sometimes) it even helps to put the git down for a few moments and think through it.

peace out,

t

p.s. I knew I'd run into the Hassidic dead heads sooner or later...lol

#51407  by Emoto

Jeez, trking8, I think I also bought that smae book back then. Perhaps I ought to see if it si still kicking around...

#51411  by Tennessee Jedi

there are some really excellent players posting vids out there that take it to a more advanced level - - like steelyourface: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteelYerFace
Yo King
Look 2 post's up.
Pete B. = SteelYerFace
:cool:
Keep the vids coming
They are appreciated ...
Peace
 #51435  by trking8

wow, I didn't recognize him. :shock: hey, don't bother with my vids, just work on his! most excellent stuff.

interesting that "eyes" got so many reaactions. it always seemed to bring out the best in jerry. my favorite was seeing them in englishtown in 77.

thanks for props,

t
 #51436  by Emoto

trking8 wrote:wow, I didn't recognize him. :shock: hey, don't bother with my vids, just work on his! most excellent stuff.

interesting that "eyes" got so many reaactions. it always seemed to bring out the best in jerry. my favorite was seeing them in englishtown in 77.

thanks for props,

t
That was my absolute favorite, too!!! I hung back for NRPS and Marshall Tucker, but was right up front for the boys. Funny how once the Dead came on nobody cared about the heat anymore.
 #51452  by Billbbill

trking8 wrote: interestingly, I bought the Dead's songbook for wake of the flood back in the mid-70's. they list the chords as Emaj7, E6, E for the intro. of course, this was before all of the live permutations. one cool variation is when they slide into the G#min7 jam.
I still have the Vol. 2 songbook with Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel and Blues for Allah, although the front and back covers are long gone. This doesn't show chords for the intro - straight to the Emaj7-A.

I do believe what you cite above is what jg's doing in the shapes I posted (earlier in this thread) from the GD movie, although I'm guessin caspersvapors would disagree.

Here are the chords I hear bob strumming here (for a good part of it anyway)

http://ia301106.us.archive.org/3/items/ ... 02_vbr.mp3

for the intro and between verse jam although the position may be wrong.

Intro

--/Emaj7--E6--E(maj7)

e--10/11-----(11)-----
b--11/12--14--12---
g--12/13--13--13---
d--12/14--14--14---

between verse jam would be the above 2x and then the below 2x

---Bm-Dmaj7?--Bm

e--10---9----(10)-
b--12---10----12--
g--11---11----11--
d--12---12----12--

red denotes line to emphasize through the chord phrase
 #51460  by Pete B.

trking8 wrote:...my favorite was seeing them in englishtown in 77.
Hi t8,
Welcome to the group and glad to see your vids out there.
Hey Man, if you can enlighten us on any of the EnglishTown Eyes parts, that would be most helpful.

Two notable points...
The "Chord Solo" that Jerry takes (during 1st and 2nd guit solo's).
The other one... He does some cool descending run(s) during the couple of seconds that the "EMaj7>Bm>A" jam is on the A-chord (during the 2nd solo), bringing it back to the beginning EMaj7 again.
I could never get those exactly figured out.

Funn Stuff!
~pete b.

#51469  by trking8

hey, thanks, Pete. I don't have Etown on disk, but I might noodle a bit with the 73 version posted above.

I don't usually work out long, specific solos note for note, but picking up different signature phrases and approaches is a great way to get the style. some of your stuff must have taken a lot of patience and/or you really know your stuff.

very glad to be here - - can't believe it took so long. terry