#49562  by Oscillation

I read the tabs here and watched the videos, but I'm trying to get this version down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06SoECIp1U[/youtube]

I got the tabs off the web...it's a drop C tuning...here they are

Transcription (and any mistakes) by jwblair@ix.netcom.com

I figured this out a few years back when I bought the video
"Don't Look Back". You see Dylan detune and some fingerings
when he plays "Baby Blue" for Donovan in the hotel. (By the
way, in "Don't Look Back" Dylan capos 2, but Donovan's guitar
is tuned 1/2 tone below concert, so capo 1 to play along
with the video.)

Bringing It All Back Home version
Capo 4, top E tuned down to C

Note-> CADGBe
++++++
C: 032010
Csus4: 033010 (add the little finger on the 4th string)
G: 220000 (actually an Em7, but this is what he plays for G)
F: 003211
Dm: 200231 (use the thumb to fret the 6th string)
E: x22100 (or maybe E7: x22130)

(Note: be sure to strum the 6th string to keep the distinctive
droning C note going.)

Intro: C and Csus4
(hammering onto the 4th string at the 2nd fret)

G F C
You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last
G F C
But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast
Dm F C
Yonder stands your orphan with his gun
Dm F C
Crying like a fire in the sun
E(7) F G
Look out the saints are coming through
Dm F C
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

The problem is the G/Em7 which is on the 2nd fret of the 5 and 6 strings with all others open....it just sounds terrible and wrong to me....the C F and D minor are all fine and the C seems to be finely tuned....i've tried working around it but I can't seem to find it....so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Theres a thumb on the 6th string move for the Dm which is quite difficult for me also, and I'm wondering if maybe my hand is just too small to really do it....any tips?

thanks a million

Oscillation

#49570  by amyjared

Haven't played this version in quite a while, but I always played a G7 like this: 220001
I seem to recall it sounding decent. Might help.

#49596  by ELPManticore

http://dylanchords.info/

The RUKIND of dylan...without the message boards. That is where I would go for the definite tab of ANY dylan song.

#49603  by warrenMFKNhaynes

ELPManticore wrote:http://dylanchords.info/

The RUKIND of dylan...without the message boards. That is where I would go for the definite tab of ANY dylan song.
for sure and they have every version of songs. like
Rolling thunder and Budukon
 #49606  by tigerstrat

Oscillation wrote: G F C
You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last
G F C
But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast
Dm F C
Yonder stands your orphan with his gun
Dm F C
Crying like a fire in the sun
E(7) F G
Look out the saints are coming through
Dm F C
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.[/b]

The problem is the G/Em7 which is on the 2nd fret of the 5 and 6 strings with all others open....it just sounds terrible and wrong to me....the C F and D minor are all fine and the C seems to be finely tuned....i've tried working around it but I can't seem to find it....so any help would be greatly appreciated...
1st, unless you are referring to "E(7)"I don't see where there was a "G/Em7" listed in your chords. The chord fingering you outlined (F#,B, D, G, and E) would be like an inverted Bmb9/11 (?) or an Esus2/min7(?)... and yes its horrible.:shock:

2nd, I'll fix your song. In the key shown, "E(7)" should be an E7, played through to the G (no F in between.) Done. :smile:

#49632  by Oscillation

Hi peoples, thanks for the responses, I tried the G7 Amy suggested and that seemed to sound way better, although a bit twangy, then I went to dylan chords and thats how they had it there, tiger I can't see skipping the F although maybe I'm not getting what your saying, anyway thanks it's working now! all except the thumb thing that's still a pain in the ass for me

peace etc :smile:

#49668  by tigerstrat

Oscillation wrote:Hi peoples, thanks for the responses, I tried the G7 Amy suggested and that seemed to sound way better, although a bit twangy, then I went to dylan chords and thats how they had it there, tiger I can't see skipping the F although maybe I'm not getting what your saying, anyway thanks it's working now! all except the thumb thing that's still a pain in the ass for me

peace etc :smile:
I'm not sure why this dylan fan site has any special authority on interpreting the chords more than the rest of us fans that also call ourselves musicians. It's an interesting new source though; definitely going to compare notes with them on some GD- and JGB- covered Dylan songs.

If you are after the Dead version (referencing 4/10/87 and 4/6/69[check out this funky take]):
A) They did it a whole step higher(in D),
B) the opening V-V7 chord is played |V,V,V7,V7|. W/o doing the mid-bar shift, V alone sounds better than V7 alone.
C) the III substitution(F#) definitely goes through to the V(A, no 7), with no interceding IV chord. I might concede that the III sounds correct instead of the III7, but it seems to make less difference than on the V.

Do what thou wilt.

Regarding the "thumb thing" in the key of C, just leave it out and your Dm will sound fine, just fine. Or transpose to a key that works for both your fingers and voice.