#39899  by Laytonco

Hey folks,
I'm seeking advice on your thoughts of me adding JBL E120 to my Bob Rig. It appears that Rob Eaton uses them (big aluminum coil seen) and I may have the opportunity to buy two that I would put into a Heritage Patriot 2x12. I think I'd like to have them any way but thought I would get some opinions from the pros here.

Thanks,

Gil

#39905  by strumminsix

what era bobby?

i get easier "bobby tone" without bobby gear.

he used 10s for a good while late 70s.

I get great bobby tones with Weber NeoMag D120F clones.

#39914  by High Peaks

Just the caliber of speaker that JBL is justifies there purchase. I'm more into the Jerry tone than Bobby's, but does anyone know if he had d120's in his Fender back in the early days?? I think he used Gauss after that

#39915  by Laytonco

Strummin, sorry about that. I am a 70s fan so I like his early 70 s and later 70s tone. Probably the 70s would be the best moment in time for me. This gent has E120s, D120s and K120s. I actually found a list on Hard Truckers showing that Rob Eaton uses the Ds and Ks. I am a complete novice on speakers but do know I like My Heritage Patriot 2x12 with its Celestion G12H30 speakers. They are loud and tight but very warm. I can actually get a closer match to Bobs late 70s tone with that and the Tribute than I can with the Hollowbody running through a Fender Super for the early 70s tone. But I think some sort of vintage JBL be it E, D or K might take the Heritage to the next level.

Thank for responding,

Gil

#39916  by Laytonco

Laytonco wrote:Strummin, sorry about that. I am a 70s fan so I like his early 70 s and later 70s tone. Probably the 70s would be the best moment in time for me.

Gil
Should read..."Probably the "LATE" 70s would be the best moment in time for me."

#39917  by strumminsix

Late 70s Bobby = IVP SS preamp, Godzilla SS poweramp, 10" Gaus speakers

Def not JBLs or 10" or tube amps

Heritage and JBLs would = more early 70s

#39921  by strumminsix

Don't know. Never cared for my IVP nor UE400.
Sold both to a cool cat in STL and never looked back.

The more I listen the GD I like Bobby's:
- contributions better later in the 70s
- tone earlier in the 70s

#39924  by deadguise

If you can get get a hold of some E-120s do it. I always liked the 72- to wall of sound back line look (and sound).

#39925  by tigerstrat

the wall used D-120's for the guitars and that included Bob's speakers, as seen from the rear in the 12/6/73 setup shot.

#39926  by Dozin

Bobby was a Gauss guy. I think that Gauss speakers are pretty close to a JBL speaker anyway. I also believe that every speaker has it's own little characteristic about itself. I use a single Gauss in my combo and love it. I use 2 x 12 Hemp Cone Tone Tubby's in my cab right now. They're nice speakers too. I think the E120s will sound just fine. It's just a matter of adjustments.

PS. I know Gregg is trying to fix the site but it's rough right now.

#39929  by strumminsix

Laytonco wrote:St Louis? Hmmmm, I bought my IVP from a cool cat in St Louis last April or May....
Hmmm, wonder if it was mine?! Was the seller's name Nate?

#39931  by High Peaks

Strummin Six wrote:The more I listen the GD I like Bobby's:
- contributions better later in the 70s
- tone earlier in the 70s

I couldn't agree more with those statements. The only thing i would add is Bobby's contributions dwindled( by no fault of his own) from 79 thru 90. This was because Brent was just huge in the mix. All the little Bobby fills we're lost in the 80's. I think as a singer he truly came into his own in the 80's.

What was that disturbing distortion he used in the 90's??

#39935  by strumminsix

High Peaks wrote: The only thing i would add is Bobby's contributions dwindled( by no fault of his own) from 79 thru 90. This was because Brent was just huge in the mix.
No it was not. It was because Healy hated Weir.