Chat about Equipment Info

#37556  by Emoto

Hmmm... a lot of votes for Elixirs here. I'll have to check those out too.

#37558  by IamDocWatson

coated strings aaarrgghhh nooooo!!!! :?

i dunno, i guess some of us obsess over tone and are acoustic fanatics...just do what sounds good to you

some one more intensely focused on tone or a real enthusiast like david grisman may cringe at the sounds

#37564  by hotasaPistol

Just started using Elixir's anti rust and love them...I am using 13's because I was breaking a lot of e strings....rhythmning too hard I guess...
they rock....

#37567  by lostsailor8782

11's fat strings for a fat tone ...

#37574  by shakedown_04092

DR Tite-Fit MT-10's

#37585  by frankielee

D'addario custom lites for Gibson J160e love em' tried elixers and did not care for them...Fender bullets on my strat.Fender 150s nickel wound on my tele
Last edited by frankielee on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

#37613  by weirimpressed

ive been using elixers for a WHILE, before that is was Martin SP's (red package) mediums, and I loved those too.

does anyone know about the D'addarios that are heavier on the top three strings (E,A,D) and lighter on the bottom three strings (G,B,E)? one of my buddies was telling me they were his favorite strings, but I cant find them anywhere!

#37984  by swainsonsthrush

We're still talking for electric, right?

I'm with "IamDocWatson." I just don't like the sound of coated strings at all, but that's mainly a gripe I leave for acoustic guitars.

I've tried numerous brands over the years, was a devotee of the DR strings for a long time. After many a sojourn, I always come back to ghs Boomers.
I use a standard 10-46 set, but back when I was more into this kind of thing I would often make hybrid sets of 10-52 for my tele.

I think the bang for buck ratio is very high with these. They've got enough snap for me to pull out the twang, but sound great with humbucker guits as well.

Best of luck.

#37985  by old man down

Around 1978 Weir was using Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies. Saw a couple of packs in his case when I met him.

#37990  by Pete B.

I like Elixers for both electric and acoustic because I have several instruments and I'm not a fan of changing strings very often.

If I were into changing strings more, I would probably use phosphor/bronze on acoustic, because they do sound just stellar for about 2 weeks (in my expierience)... On electric I would probably just use whatever were the least expensive Nickle wound 10's. I know others are much more picky than me.

With that said, I will be ordering some Vinci's from that website to see if they have any Jerry left in 'em!

If you want to hear an example, all the vids I shot using the Strat were done with Elixers that have been on there at least a year or more.
They stay in tune (and sound just fine to me) for what seems to me to be at least 5x longer than uncoated strings.

It's really no biggie though, whatever you decide to use, I mean, no one's gonna "blame the strings" because they blew a solo, right?

#38036  by jenkins

Strings can make a huge difference.
I thought I didn't like the way my acoustic sounded anymore. Its just a crappy fender acoustic but I actually used to love its sound.
I thought I outgrew its tone but it turned out I was just putting crappy strings on it. I was putting d'adario on and it sounded like crap.

I was at a friends house and he gave me a pack of the acoutsic strings he uses and all of a sudden the guitar sounded great.

I have to disagree about the size of your strings making a difference in your tone.
If you need 12's o your guitar to make it sound good there is something wrong with your setup.
Both my guitars sound great with 10's or 9's.
Ive tried 11 and 12's and I honestly did not see any difference in my tone.

I really think that if you need 12's for a thick tone, strings aren't your problem. BUt maybe im wrong; if you can get a great tone by putting 12's on your guitar thats pretty damn easy.

I also hate elixers. Biggest ripoff there is as far ast strings go. There tone is dull IMO and I just dont like their feel. Also I bought a few packs that had defective strings in them. I broke the D string from 2 packs and the A string form 1 pack in my first practice session with them, and I NEVER break a D or A string.

#38037  by weirimpressed

damn, i dont think Ive ever had elixers snap on me, at least that I can remember. you musta got the shitty pack man

#38039  by Tennessee Jedi

yeah Pete B.
I thought it would be cool to some get of those "Garcia" owned sets of strings.
The Dead probably bought a shitload of strings for Jer - how the roadies ended up with them I dont know.
I dont pay much attention to my strings - I usually just grab some E.B 10's.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#38055  by Pete B.

It's all good with me man, whatever strings anyone likes or dislikes.
Whatever they are, I think we're all agreed, you're not going to go to a gig with a dead set of strings that won't stay in tune (and with any luck we have a few extra sets in the case in the [unlikely?] event that we pop one during the gig).
fwiw, I think a 9.99 set of Elixers will "last" (feel good to play, sound good, stay in tune) 5x longer than a 4.99 set of the typical set of 10's that I would otherwise pick up for electric.
I still pick up regular sets of 10's for my 7-strings... I haven't seen a 7-string set of Elixers in my travels yet.
I'll have to try Fender Super Bullets again. I used to use those in high school for electric... and "Nashville Staights" for acoustic! (remeber the box they came in?).

EDIT:
I just caught it... and i call it!...don't any else try to name their Dead band "Dead Strings".

#38076  by CaptainTrips

Pete B. wrote:I like Elixers for both electric and acoustic because I have several instruments and I'm not a fan of changing strings very often.

If I were into changing strings more, I would probably use phosphor/bronze on acoustic, because they do sound just stellar for about 2 weeks (in my expierience)... On electric I would probably just use whatever were the least expensive Nickle wound 10's. I know others are much more picky than me.

With that said, I will be ordering some Vinci's from that website to see if they have any Jerry left in 'em!

If you want to hear an example, all the vids I shot using the Strat were done with Elixers that have been on there at least a year or more.
They stay in tune (and sound just fine to me) for what seems to me to be at least 5x longer than uncoated strings.

It's really no biggie though, whatever you decide to use, I mean, no one's gonna "blame the strings" because they blew a solo, right?
A really great post that echoes my experience with Elixers. Never had them break, and they keep their tone forever. I usually change them cause they start to get hard on my fingers rather than cause any sound problems.