Chat about Equipment Info
 #31046  by wisedyes

I'm not the most technologically gifted guy you will ever meet, and I have to admit I am a wee bit intimidated by this thing. Anybody have one, and if so, any suggestions for getting the most out out of it without being overwhelmed?

#31056  by deadguise

It's a great amp which can get a lot of different "Fender" sounds. After some tweeking, I got the "Black Face" close to the "Jerry" tone. However, I finally obtained a Twin Reverb Custom for the full tube tone (real deal). The Cyber Twin lacks the dynamics and that bottom "bark" that the Twin Custom gets. I had to go back to the cluster of effects pedals again.

The Cyber Twin provides a clean setup with the pedal board and is very useful if you play different styles of music. The factory presets usually suck, just keep experimenting with the settings until you get what you like.

Do you have the manual? It's not that difficult. You can download the manual from the Fender site.

http://www.fender.com/support/electronic_products.php

#37606  by jenkins

SO do u like the cyber twin?

Seems like it may be a way to get jerry's tone as it is a tube preamp running into a solid state power amp.

ANy thoughts?

#37905  by jonarobb

Suggestions? Yeah, sell it. Absolutely one of the biggest losers in the new Fender arsenel. The failure rate of the power supply is high as is the overheating and eventual meltdown of the PCB board area surrounding the processor. I usually don't make recommendations cause god knows I've learned through trial and error, but do yourself a favor and dump it soon.

#37908  by KCJones

Suggestions? Yeah, sell it. Absolutely one of the biggest losers in the new Fender arsenel. The failure rate of the power supply is high as is the overheating and eventual meltdown of the PCB board area surrounding the processor. I usually don't make recommendations cause god knows I've learned through trial and error, but do yourself a favor and dump it soon.
OK, so I assume you owned one and personally learned through trial and error. How long did yers last befor it went, and what specifically went on yours.

#37917  by jonarobb

KCJones wrote:
OK, so I assume you owned one and personally learned through trial and error. How long did yers last befor it went, and what specifically went on yours.
No, actually I own/run a repair service here in NYC that deals w/many of Fenders fatal production mistakes. The amp looks great on paper, and sounds good for a while. It is absolutely not professional grade and would never hold up on the road or for any prolonged gigging situation. Specifically, I've personally shipped 3 back to Fender in the last 12 months. Those 3 had a total meltdown from the overheating on the printed circuit board. The charring on the main PCB was unrepairable. The other 4 I was able to repair. 2 of them required new Power Transformers. The other 2 had broken input jacks. So, no, I've never owned one but I'm making the recommendation from a purely service POV. I make the same general recommendations about the Hot Rod series as well. Just not a good guitar amplifier for the working musician.

#37929  by Laytonco

To each their own of course. I had one and traded it in after about 3 months because I thought it sounded really thin and bad at performance volumes. In the studio at low voluems, it sounded pretty darn good. The effects are okay if you work on them, but again, you cant use them for performances because it takes way too long to swtich them. I think, for the money, the reissue twin is the way to go.

Peace,

Gil

#37945  by smile_smile_smile

i can get some cool sounds but not my first pick, too bad thats all i have at the moment, i wont talk about what i did with my other amp.

run guitar through wah, put it on twin reverb, set fx to vibratone, set compression to extra high...get a really fun tone for jamming

also run guitar through wah then set fx to touch wah...very fun not even close jerry tone

just fuck around i know there's a cool vintage stack on there great distortion on it
theres also a backwards delay thats fun for like 10 seconds
"it takes way too long to swtich"
agree
"bad at performance volumes"
agree

#37948  by strumminsix

Man, all you amp buyers step back and really listen.

Most of these modern under $1500 amps are crappy.

Sorry, but those are the facts.

A good vintage Fender is 10 times better the HR series.

Take time and maybe save up a little if you have to.

There are mfg'ers today that hand build amps that equal vintage Fenders.

But you all have got to be ready to pay but it is worth it.

I'm not being an amp snob but speaking from experience.

A good amp:
- sounds good at any volume
- minimal ear fatigue after hours
- easy to dial in
- easy to mic
- easy to repair
- easy to mod
- tubes!
- road worthy! You back-seat is more wear than an amp in a case on a semi

The list goes on but really A/B and use your ears.

Good amps are expensive.

Save up. Buy something used for the next 6 months maybe.

It will be worth it!

#37953  by Emoto

strumminsix wrote:Man, all you amp buyers step back and really listen.

Most of these modern under $1500 amps are crappy.

Sorry, but those are the facts.

A good vintage Fender is 10 times better the HR series.

Take time and maybe save up a little if you have to.

There are mfg'ers today that hand build amps that equal vintage Fenders.

But you all have got to be ready to pay but it is worth it.

I'm not being an amp snob but speaking from experience.

A good amp:
- sounds good at any volume
- minimal ear fatigue after hours
- easy to dial in
- easy to mic
- easy to repair
- easy to mod
- tubes!
- road worthy! You back-seat is more wear than an amp in a case on a semi

The list goes on but really A/B and use your ears.

Good amps are expensive.

Save up. Buy something used for the next 6 months maybe.

It will be worth it!
You know, you are absolutely right. A really good amp makes all the difference. A good guitar too, but that seems more obvious, somehow. When I got my Boogie 20-some years ago, I couldn't believe the difference it made, and the Musicman RD112(?) I had before didn't exactly suck. Having a great amp is like having that elusive "good knob". Suddenly things you have been playing sound far better. I know that not everyone can just run out and lay down four figures for an amp, but saving for one is a worthy goal for people who intend to keep playing their whole lives. Just my $0.02...

#37955  by KCJones

Funny thing, One of the best sounding clean amps I've heard, that we use for recording and ocassional gigs, is my friend's old (c.1965) Sears Sivertone all tube head he bought for $180 off ebay. It's a champ!

#37958  by strumminsix

KCJones wrote:Funny thing, One of the best sounding clean amps I've heard, that we use for recording and ocassional gigs, is my friend's old (c.1965) Sears Sivertone all tube head he bought for $180 off ebay. It's a champ!
Silvertones are high quality sleepers...

I've heard GREAT recordings with them!!

They are similar to the Fender Brownies:
- all tube, very simple tonestack

#38031  by dpmphoto

I would stay away from fenders new amps. I am also in the business and have seen numerous breaks and meltdowns.However I do own a hot rod deluxe older american model and it has been through hell and still fires up no problem.You can still find many silverface fenders in various models under a $1000 thats what I would do or build your own from a kit for 500 to 800 bucks, hand wired no pc board shit is the way to go.