#33470  by dpmphoto

I have been building guitars and mandolins for awhile.I am currently building a few wolfs for myself and customers.If you guys are serious I will build a few more if anyone is interested in owning one.I will post some pictures of the one I'm building right now after the holiday.I could keep the price down by offering unfinished bodies without the hardware if you would like.As with all my guitars playability comes first.The one I'm keeping has a mahagony core instead of purpleheart because of my bad back and shoulder.I will not build tigers because of the price and availability of cocobolo right now.I love the site have been coming here for years just never posted anything.Merry CHRISTMAS David from upstate NY

#33472  by pappypgh

Hey now! That sounds really cool...I've always loved the Wolf guitar...Rosebud's probably my favorite Jerry guitar, and I've always been REALLY intrigued w/ the Travis Beans, too....would love to play one of those some day.
I'm currently getting a custom guitar built from S.B. McDonald in Long Island, NY. He makes beautiful stringed instruments, as well. My guitar is featured on his December blog post (sweet!). It's a 3/4" thick top piece of Tiger Maple (which came from a plank that I held onto for 10 years and was given to me by one of my best friends who was selling Tiger Maple to Gibson at the time) and the back is a 3/4" thick piece of mahogany. The stripes from the maple just cascade down the sides...it's insanely gorgeous and is supposed to be done sometime in January (I hope!). You can view the whole history of this guitar (from the planks to the current body w/o electronix) on the PHOTOS page of my band's website: www.theCAUSEjams.com It's all the way @ the bottom, I think.
Rock on & keep building beautiful guitars!!

Pappy

#33502  by High Peaks

Whereabouts in upstate. Im up here to in Saratoga. I would love to talk to you about a wolf guitar. Let me know!

#33513  by dpmphoto

I am in syracuse but will be in colony(albany)next week for new years

#33515  by gratephulphish123

dpmphoto wrote:I am in syracuse but will be in colony(albany)next week for new years
a fellow syracusian?!?! wow i didnt know deadheads existed around here! if i were going to albany next week i wouldnt come back, this place is the worst, but dont worry when they finally finish destiny usa (100 years from now) it'll be thriving :roll:

#33520  by jjbankhead

just out of curiosity how much would you be asking for a WOLF unfinished minus the components?

how hard would this be to ship without it getting damaged?

#33605  by lostsailor8782

hey friend lets talk Mandolin's I am in the market , looking at alot of Mando's right now but think I am gonna go custom dedhed8782@hotmail.com

#33608  by pappypgh

Hey now, folks...I STRONGLY encourage you to check out www.customguitars.com to see some amazing stringed instruments built by Master Luthier, S.B. MacDonald. He's currently working on a killer electric for myself, but he's made some FANTASTIC acoustics, ukeleles and other sick stringed instruments. He was the only luthier I contacted (out of 40) who REALLY had the same idea of what CUSTOM means. Everyone else I spoke with was like, "Sure, I'll make you a guitar - $2500 and gimme about 5 months." Scott (S.B.) was more like, "Well, I'd like to watch you play, see how a guitar rests on your body, really check out your hands, sit down and figure out just what kind of tones you're after...", etc. He knew that custom didn't mean just another "one of a kind" guitar, rather it'd be one built FOR me. He uses custom made pickups by the Pickup MAN, Lindy Fralin, too - as well as others. I'm not dissin' the artist who started this post - just wanted to share my little piece of paradise, since this guy is a killer artist, too. Enjoy! Happy Holidays to all!!

#33610  by pappypgh

Okay, I'm confused - what IS TTIWWOP???? Or whatever you're typing? I've seen it like 3 times, now. Sorry, 'guess I'm a rookie. :x

#33613  by jck_strw

pappypgh wrote:Okay, I'm confused - what IS TTIWWOP???? Or whatever you're typing? I've seen it like 3 times, now. Sorry, 'guess I'm a rookie. :x
This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures

#33637  by pappypgh

THANK YOU!!! I don't know how to attach a photo into a message, but here's a good link (scroll all the way to the bottom of this page) to see my new guitar's evolution:

www.theCAUSEjams.com/photos

#33639  by High Peaks

Nice looking design. Is that going to be a bolt on neck, or just a different design on a set neck?

#33649  by pappypgh

It is a bolt on neck. Apparently, he hides it pretty well. A few of his other guitars can be seen at www.customguitars.com

He was commissioned to make an electric resonator for none other than Robert Hunter, as well.

Pretty sick artist. I'm pretty much in love with the shape of this thing. The top piece of maple is so thick and the plate that will cover the electronics (on the back) will be made of the same piece of maple - should look pretty sweet against that mahogany. Haven't seen the body "finished" yet. I'm going w/ a Lindy Fralin high-output humbucker on the bridge, as well as the neck. He hand-wraps them and they are supposed to be pretty hot sounding. The bridge position pickup is said to actually cut through lead :cool: