#31162  by OhioBuckeye

I'm studying this scales book called Scales Guru and it uses this method where you use Do,Re,Mi,Fa,Sol,La,Ti,Do when playing the scales. I'm sure this is nothing new but I do have a question.

I originally started learning scales and would basically call out or say the note as I was playing. So this method appears to be diferent using the do, re etc....

My question is have any of you used this method as well? Do you do one or the other or both? Meaning what do you sound out/think as you play each note?

As I was learning this so far i did realize that this is nicer than saying A, B#...and sounds better as well :)

Thanks

OB

#31163  by IamDocWatson

B# is C...no B#

but yeah it helps to be able to sound the notes out..either by saying the do re me or just doo doo doo the theory is if you are able to hum all your intervals and the notes and what you would think to hum become second nature you can rleate the two and play melodies as you think of them

#31171  by wisedyes

The purpose of introducing a scale as the "do - re - mi " scale is to call attention to the fact that all scales of the same quality maintain the same structure. In this case, it would be the Major scale.

The construction of a Major scale is always the same, regardless of key - whole step/whole step/half step/whole step/whole step/whole step/half step. ( You most likely already know this, but on a guitar, a whole step is two frets, a half step is one. On a piano, a white key/black key/white key jump is a whole step, a white key/black key or white key/white key is a half step ).

What the book is probably doing is teaching by getting you to introduce intervals and the sound of the scale, rather than memorizing notes for each separate scale. This is absolutely the best way to learn; after all, music is a hearing art, and think of all the work involved in memorizing all those notes in every key for every type of scale.

#31180  by tigerstrat

I wouldn't really call it a method but a useful mental and physical tool. Use it to practice all of your intervals, not just between scale steps, but major and minor thirds, fourths, sixths... Frinstance, "Do-miiiiii", "Re-laaaaaa", So-reeeeeee"

#31215  by OhioBuckeye

Thanks for the replies guys!!! You rule.

#31218  by zoppenheimer

I'm awful at the do re mi stuff, I prefer to just sing the number on the interval