#28694  by BuddhaG

thanks bro, that riff was very clutch. i had the chords down before but always wondered about that super funky verse riff. mystery no more, thanks for providing the impetus to help take my version of this song to a new level. :smile:

#28712  by CaptainTrips

Great job Benny. I always seem to have a hard time fingering that last pesky Emaj7 in the intro riff, time to practice!

#28716  by ronster

Nice job Benny. You appear to playing a Emaj7-A-Emaj7 for the intro as opposed to
Emaj7 - Emaj6 -Emaj7
--7--x--4----
--9--5--4----
--8--6--4----
--9--6--6----
--7--7--7----

which was posted on an earlier thread and got the groups blessing. They both sound good to me. Did the Dead play it both ways over the tears? BTW nice job getting your pinky down in time for the last Emaj7. I screw it up to often so I just play it as a 3 note chord.

#28723  by bodiddley

If this is the case w/ the intro, then why do the tabs here have it go Emaj7, B, A?. or was that the later way of playing it?

I also find that last Emaj7 on the 4th fret(insert bad pun here) a bitch to finger. I usually drop down and play it like this...

-4-
-4-
-4-
-2-
-x-
-x-

#28750  by shakedown_04092

Thanks ronster, CT, & BuddhaG. Yeah, I'm aware of the Emaj6, but don't play it, and don't know if the Dead did it "my" way or not over the years. Just always how I played it, I guess. That Emaj6 is still a bitch for me to hit. Actually, it's not the Emaj6, it's getting to that other Emaj7 afterwards. I can hit the other Emaj7 a lot easier if I hit the A beforehand.

Bodid - not sure why it's tabbed like that on here, but fwiw, if that's the case, I don't think it's correct. But it may be somewhere along the way, who knows. Keep working on that other Emaj7, it's a sweet chord!

#28755  by bodiddley

I must be tone deaf because I don't hear much difference with the Emaj7 chord barred at the 7th, barred at the 4th like you played, or done the way I have it tabbed above.

Near the begining of the video you do this thing on the A chord where you move your ring and pinky fingers up to what looks lik the 2nd and third string after you strum the A a few times, What is that?

Anyhooters, I'm very eager to see how the dude on the legendary licks DVD tackles this tune and can't wait to pick it up.

#28767  by shakedown_04092

bodiddley wrote:I must be tone deaf because I don't hear much difference with the Emaj7 chord barred at the 7th, barred at the 4th like you played, or done the way I have it tabbed above.

Near the begining of the video you do this thing on the A chord where you move your ring and pinky fingers up to what looks lik the 2nd and third string after you strum the A a few times, What is that?

Anyhooters, I'm very eager to see how the dude on the legendary licks DVD tackles this tune and can't wait to pick it up.
The Emaj7 on the 7th fret has the higher pitched G# & B notes on the B & E strings, that's really the only difference. One could achieve the relatively the same sound by canceling these notes out while playing the Emaj7 on the 7th fret, but I just like that walk-down feel.

As for that A thingy, all I'm doing is putting the E in the bass. Still an A chord. I often see Jerry do that when playing that type of a chord. I do it out of subconsciousness sometimes, I guess, because I didn't do it for any of the other A's during the song. Hmmm.

#28782  by bodiddley

I thought that's what you did, thanks for confirming it.
One more question for now. At the end of the verse lines like "Right outside this lazy summer home". Where it goes (Bmaj or min?) da,da,duh,da>(Amaj) da,da,duh,da do you play the first phrase with the B or B minor? The second part is the A I assume.

#28791  by BlobWeird

I play that the same way it is listed here and sounds quite right. Bminor then to A. A bunch of Eyes I hear Jerry will just hit the single notes high up like 12th fret on B string for the B and 10th fret for the A.

#28804  by shakedown_04092

^^^ Yup. Bm -> A.

#30930  by bodiddley

So what are the chords for the jamming/solo parts? Is it the same as the intro? Emaj7/A/Emaj7?

Anyone know of a real nice slow version to practice a long with? I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on the basicss but most versions go too fast for me to keep up with.

#30932  by st. stephen

I believe one of the jams is going Emaj7>Bm>A
I might be wrong.

And I agree definitely with Bodiddley, it's hard to get hold of this chord progression....

#30993  by shakedown_04092

We've discussed the Jam before in another forum, and some folks (like me) just play Emaj7 > Bm the whole time during the jam, and to queue the next verse, after that last Bm I head to an A to kind of "wrap up" the jam. Other folks play Emaj7 > Bm > A through the jam. I've heard the Dead do both, so whatever your fancy, I guess.
 #30995  by Tennessee Jedi

1st solo = Emaj7--Bm
2nd solo = Emaj7-Bm-A
3rd solo = Emaj7 intro riff
Thats the way I do it, anyway.
:cheers: