#2218  by strumminsix

Okay, I know that the ending jam is over Emaj7 for most of it but during the 73 era (and other times) you hear that King Solomon's Marbles sort of sound.

I've been tinkering and it sounds like Abm. Is that correct?

It sounds right but my mind is playing tricks on me since Abm and Emaj7 are basically the same chord.

Emaj7 = E Ab B Eb
Abm = Ab B Eb

Thoughts???
 #2304  by spilly

the chord your looking for is Bm, true it's not in key, but that's how it goes. You'll play 2 measures on Emaj7-X79897, then 2 measures on Bm-XX9777.

Sometimes you can slip a higher A barre in there-XX7655. when adding this you'll do 2 measures on Emaj7, 1 measure on Bm, then 1 measure on A.

before you go back into the verses you'l switch the Bm to a major. i.e. 1 measure on Emaj7, half a measue on B, half a measure on A.

if you want to solo on it, try playing in E while playing the Emaj7 and swith to A while the Bm is playing, it sounds really great when you get it to work.
Good luck, have fun.
your cosmic brother
Spilly McGee
 #43444  by T3RRAPIN

i believe your thinking of the wrong jam spilly...

note: im following the 11-11-73 version but the chords should apply to other versions although the timing may be different.

jam starts in Emaj7 (use X-X-14-16-16-16 then X-X-14-16-16-17)for the bass solo (this goes on for a while.) Then it goes to the next section which starts with G#m. heres the chords for the whole section:

Emaj7 bass solo --->

| G#m | G#m |

| Emaj7 | Emaj7 |

| G#m | G#m |

| Emaj7 | Emaj7 | Emaj7 | Emaj7 |

| D#m | D#m |

| D#dim | D#dim |

| Emaj7 | Emaj7 | Emaj7 | Emaj7 |

| D#m | D#m | --> RIFF x4

| Dm | Dm | --> RIFF x4

| Dm | Dm | --> RIFF x4

| Dm | Dm | --> RIFF x4

Jam out in Dm ---->

and thats it.. heres the tab for the riff......

E|-----------------
B|-----------------
G|-------8-6-------
D|-----8-----8-6-8-
A|-6-9-------------
E|-----------------

E|-----------------
B|-----------------
G|-------8-6-------
D|-----8-----8-6s5-
A|-6-9-------------
E|-----------------

Hope this helps! -Dylan
 #125331  by Dozin

We play it this way too. Check out jdarks.com It's pretty much how t3rrapin wrote it out.
 #125332  by Dozin

Although, jdarks has some errors with his D#m's that should be Dm. t3rrapin posted the corrected way
 #125344  by tigerstrat

Dozin wrote:Although, jdarks has some errors with his D#m's that should be Dm. t3rrapin posted the corrected way
Wow, Darks has added a ton of songs since the last time I took a peek... been years since I've seen him post.

You are right Chris, it gets confused at the end and the "D#m jams" should be Dm, resolving (re-tensioning?) back to the D# common lick, which is actually kind of a minor-major deal, or at least it ends on a G which is the major 3rd of D#...
 #152574  by wabisabied

Hey, I know this discussion is 3 years old, but...

Anyone else do this jam over Emaj7 - Bm7 chords (2 measures each, repeated) with accompanying bass lines of E-Eb-B and F#-D-B, and solo alternating over each chord between B mixolydian and B dorian, respectively?

Sorry if that's difficult to decipher, I don't write about theory much. And I'm not looking to copy exactly what Jerry did, just looking for ways to have fun jamming on this.
 #157626  by tdcrjeff

Interesting video here combining the jams of the 1st 7 versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5H3PFNDWHk

One of the commenters called it the "55 jam." Never heard that name before, I've always called the "73-74 post Eyes jam in 7" which is a bit unwieldy. But I guess "55" makes sense for the D#m riff part, since it's 7 beats for each A/B part (A part ends Bb/Ab/Bb, B part ends Bb/Ab/G), there's 4 pairs but the last measure cuts off and is only 6 beats. 7+7,7+7,7+7,7+6 = 55.