Chat about Equipment Info
 #21975  by Henry

I have been a Gibson SG enthusiast ever since I started playing in the late '70s. My very first electric guitar was a cheap Japanese copy, but I soon upgraded to a '74 Gibson, later had several others from different periods and had a chance to play some of the very first ones too. In between, I went through lots of other guitars as well, Fenders, Les Pauls, 335s, but for some reason always kept coming back to the SG. After a six-year abstinence, I now finally have one again, built in '91 but looks and feels very much like a late '60s model. I now use it all the time for playing Dead stuff.
I never identified them with AC/DC as many people do. For me instead, the SG was the quintessential guitar of the San Francisco sound. It all started with the incomparable John Cipollina, Barry Melton and Sam Andrew played them too, and of course Jerry, even if only for a relatively brief period. Now, it is well known that he used one on Live/Dead and that was what I call the "Type 2" with the large pickguard, built from '66 to '71, using a term coined by Ian C. Bishop in his Gibson book (the earlier models from '61 to '65 with the small pickguard are referred to as Type 1). That guitar also had a Bigsby vibrato. Over on dozin.com, it is stated that by May 1970, Jerry was back on the same SG again. However, for instance in the Festival Express movie and also on some pictures that I've seen, he can be seen with a different SG, definitely a Type 1 with small pickguard, and a flat stop tailpiece which looks like a later addition. Anybody noticed that too, any other SG lovers here?

#21982  by Pigpen

Ive gone through many phases of guitar admiration. The two constant guitars Ive always loved have been Travis Bean and Sg. Well my knowledge of Sgs is not at the point yours is at. He uses a '61 in 1970-71 approximately right? That is one of my favorite sounds.

#21984  by Chief5959

I have never owned one but always found it interesting that so many players i respected like the ones named and in addition Duane Allman, Dicky Betts and Frank Zappa used SGs. I also have a theory that the first guitar shape you learn to play on will always be the one for you. I started out playing a tele copy and although I have had Les Pauls and Strats since there is something about the telecaster body that feels right. Even though I have had the same Strat since 79, my tele which is about 10 years old "fits" whereas the strat I am always moving it around my body trying to find the right spot.

#21987  by jackr

Dont know anyone to ever really say anything bad about a real sg. I have played them and really like them although I do prefer a les paul and a 335.

one of my favorite current SG players

Derek Trucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FlOJXL4 ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqMz7NqK ... ed&search=
 #21990  by tigerstrat

Henry wrote: Now, it is well known that he used one on Live/Dead and that was what I call the "Type 2" with the large pickguard, built from '66 to '71, using a term coined by Ian C. Bishop in his Gibson book (the earlier models from '61 to '65 with the small pickguard are referred to as Type 1). That guitar also had a Bigsby vibrato. Over on dozin.com, it is stated that by May 1970, Jerry was back on the same SG again. However, for instance in the Festival Express movie and also on some pictures that I've seen, he can be seen with a different SG, definitely a Type 1 with small pickguard, and a flat stop tailpiece which looks like a later addition. Anybody noticed that too, any other SG lovers here?
The one he played during 1970 was a an early 61 or 62 "LP-SG", also notice the wider, flatter fretboard. Both guitars have decals featuring U.S. flags, buit if you find close-ups the sticker on the 67 or 68 SG Standard (Live Dead/early 69) has an actual flag, while the sticker on the "LP-SG" (1970) is a stars and stripes sheild emblem.

#21991  by China Cat

my first guitar was an epiphone G310 SG. i sold it a while ago, which was dumb since i couldve modified it and got something really special. despite its low quality (it was a 200 dollar guitar), it has left me with some very positive thoughts about SGs. they have really good playability and arent at all heavy or unweildy. with good pickups, im sure they are very versatile.

#22008  by st. stephen

Don't forget Eric Clapton, he played this psychedelia painted SG during his time with Cream:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FI8SUc2SV4k

And of course Bobby played SG too, but not very long

#22010  by astroman99

Yes , I love Sg's, I had a '67, but was one of the few instruments I ever got rid of, traded(partial)in for an '77 Alembic series II, only cause my brother has even a nicer SG, than I had, his has the tuneamatic bridge, mine didn't.And they are so LIGHT.

#22020  by shakedown_04092

I have owned an SG for a little more than 2 years now and I freaking love it. I posted a pic somewhere in a different thread, but here it is:

I don't know much about it - maybe someone here can tell me more. I believe it's just a Gibson SG Faded Special - nothing to write home about - I only paid about $675 for it, I think. But I love this guitar and it's tone, it works great for me.

PS - SWEET 710 AVATAR!!! (I'm guessing this goes away on my next post [the 420 one was beautiful, Gregg, btw], so I'll try to keep it up here for a while)

#22028  by st. stephen

btw, has anybody experience with epiphone SGs?
I can't afford a Gibson and am really happy with my epi LP so I thought about buyin' a SG....
 #22047  by Fat Ronald

I play an Epiphone SG. I figured my skill level would not give a $1300 justice, but $300 was more my range. I briefly played a Gibson in the store once, and can tell the difference. but, my Epiphone is a nice-looking, quality made instrument that has the sound, look, and feel that are just fine for me. My only complaint to-date was the G-string has been a bitch to get into and stay in tune with my fellow mates. I've heard tuning complaints on Gibsons before, but none on this forum. Someday I'll buck up and buy one, but for right now, the Epiphone seems just fine.

#22094  by tigerstrat

st. stephen wrote:btw, has anybody experience with epiphone SGs?
I can't afford a Gibson and am really happy with my epi LP so I thought about buyin' a SG....
Epiphone rocks.

I'm lefty and so of course visiting a guitar store SUCKS for me. The Epi LH models are imho set up much better and seem as high or higher quality than most of the Gibson LH guitars I have tried- for far less money. However the best lefty Les Paul I have ever played was a $1400 Heritage LP.

#22096  by quonce

I own a Epiphone SG les paul custom, with 3 pick-ups, like an ivory color with white pick guard. Honestly, I love it, i dont even look at other electrics now, one because of money, but two because i am perfectly satisfied with its playability. I wanted something modeled after Clapton's Fool and stumbled upon this guy.

Because Ive become so use to it's feel (and she is my baby), if i wanted to upgrade, I would probably just get gibson '57 classics or some sort of humbucker pick ups to replace the stocks and keep the guitar instead of trading it in.

That is entirely because im stubborn and when i saw this guitar i fell in love with its looks, but once i played it, it was over for me. But im not rich, not in a band, and not trying to impress the jones. just wanted something kick ass to play, and this is it.

It can say this: :cool: , this: :mad: and this :smile: while doing this: :x :x :x , all at the same time!

#22136  by st. stephen

thanks for all the input
@tigestrat: yeah i've got the same good feeling about Epiphone, i'm totally in love with my paula and I think if you go to a store and take your time you'll allways find a high quality Epiphone.......
so i'm looking forward to play a SG in some guitar store :cool: