Musical Theory Abound!!!

#19581  by lostsailor8782

AugustWest wrote:Hey lostsailor great setlist. Could you by chance tab out Elko for me. I've been trying to figure that tune out for a long time and haven't been able to get it. I was excited to see your band plays it. Many thanks

ps. willmusic I live in the richmond area as well. If you would like to jam sometime send me a pm. I have a drummer, banjo, and guitar player I play with. I play bass or rhythem guitar.
I don't know about tabing it out but heres the basic structure the intro riff which they play between verses and so forth is just D and C .... the verse is F C G F D 2x

the chorus is D D7 G F D 2 X

THEN THE BRIDGE IS JUST D AND G IF THIS DOESN'T GET YOU WHERE YOU ARE GOING LET ME KNOW AND I'LL BREAK IT DOWN MORE ETC AND TAB THE RIFF

#19614  by AugustWest

That works great. many thanks. By the way I always love a song with a great bridge. This is one that completly takes the energy to the next level when it gets to "i need a card, I need a card". Brown eyed women and he's gone are the same way.

#19640  by shakedown_04092

Doug -

Our band plays Dark Star (older spacey version) but we don't play it out because it's not a "bar pleaser", per se. We play to a mixed crowd (not everyone's into the Dead...lots of 80's/dancing types out there), so we try to keep the Dead, Phish, & other songs interesting, upbeat, etc. for them too. Otherwise, we start to lose people.
 #19669  by Candyman421

i do acoustic solo sets at local coffee shops and only get about 10 songs so here it is

i takes a train to cry
standing on the moon>masterpiece
althea
a day in the life (beatles)
gdtrfb>nfa
dont think twice
different day(yonder mountain)
boxer(paul simon)
ujb>ripple>
brokedown
dire wolf

#19704  by spilly

I'm putting together a pick up band for a show in two weeks. We all just got toghether tonight and jammed out and kicked around some idea's. here's the set list we came up with. keep in mind it's all simple tunes so we can get it together in two weeks.

brick house
play that funky music
southbound
red house
born on the bayou
susie Q
bo diddley
come together
sighned sealed delivered
truckin
where it's at
fight for your right
under the bridge
aeroplane
misty mountain hop
boogie on raggie woman
 #19780  by lostsailor8782

lyghtningod wrote:cool topic

My band has its second paid gig on 7 July. We are putting together our set list. This is what we're looking at:

Black Magic Woman
Mean Woman Blues
Taking Care of Business
Come On original
Brown Eyed Girl
R.O.C.K.
Louie Louie

Twist and Shout
Cheese Burger
Margaritaville
Hotel California
Smile Beam original
Rick’s Backyard original
Dock of the Bay
Under the Boardwalk
I’m A Believer
Folsom Prison Blues
Already Gone
Take the Money and Run
Can’t Always Get What
Great Divide original
2 AM original

Of course, 'paid' is a relative term. We'll get about $7 an hour, after taking into account load in and out and the two hour playing time. But...I am soooo excited to have the gig, I don't care how much it pays.
not to discourage you but you are playing ALOT of tunes that every bad garage band in America has done at one time or another ... dig alittle deeper for your covers ...I wouldn't play Black Magic Woman or Hotel California again for any amount of money and if a band starts playing one of them I am going outside to blow one .. a really bigt one !!

#19783  by lostsailor8782

shakedown_04092 wrote:Doug -

Our band plays Dark Star (older spacey version) but we don't play it out because it's not a "bar pleaser", per se. We play to a mixed crowd (not everyone's into the Dead...lots of 80's/dancing types out there), so we try to keep the Dead, Phish, & other songs interesting, upbeat, etc. for them too. Otherwise, we start to lose people.
I used to play jamband music at a hip hop club, it wqas our besy paying gig ... we use to crank out shakedown, =feel like a stranger ... lovelight and so forth ... we once did a big shakedown> Brickhouse>Play that funky music> Shakedown sandwich that drove them nuts ... within a few months of playing that gig every friday we had some tye dyes mixed in with the bling bling keep it up
 #19794  by shakedown_04092

Laytonco wrote:I know what you mean, Lostsailor. I've always wanted to do that Sir Mixalot tune, I Like Big Butts, into Truckin. You know, the crowd could refer to it as Butt Truckin.
Yuck yuck yuck! :lol: Good one!

#21051  by razmablues

we're not really a "band" perse* (if that's how you spell it). but me and some other heads got together to play a small set for our friend's birthday party.

as far as i remember it was bertha=>good lovin'. chinacat=>franklin's tower, eyes of the world, one more saturday night.

i remember our vocal/rhythm guitarist got too drunk too early, so we didn't bother doing much jamming in eyes :lol:

#21061  by shakedown_04092

A recent setlist:

Set I: (:55)
Cold Rain & Snow
Fire On The Mountain
Comes A Time (neil)
Get Out My Life Woman
Drifting (trey)
Midnight Moonlight >
Big River
Funky Bitch (son seals)
Loving Cup (stones)

Set II: (1:05)
Cortez The Killer (neil)
On The Road Again (dead)
No Sugar Tonight (the guess who)
Cities (talking heads)
And She Was (th)
Bathtub Gin (phish)
Eyes Of The World
*Suzy Greenberg (phish)

Set III: (1:15)
*Money For Nothing (dire straits)
Shakedown Street
Quinn The Eskimo
Sweet Dreams Melinda (trey)
Viola Lee Blues >
After Midnight
Sympathy For The Devil (stones)

Encore: (:10)
Timber Ho! (phish)
*On The Road Again (willie)

* = 1st time played

#21087  by DudeWithTheFan

here's one of my personal favorites:

SET I
St. Stephen
Outside Woman Blues
Big River
Ship of Fools (Doors)
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl >
32-20 Blues >
Mystery Train >
Crossroads >
People Get Ready (a capella, with a soft bassline) >
Stop Breaking Down Blues >
Midnight Special >
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl >
Hoochie Coochie Man

SET II
Coming Down Again
Memo From Turner
Child of the Moon
ACOUSTIC
The Spider and the Fly
As Tears Go By
I Know You Rider
Love in Vain
ELECTRIC
Viola Lee Blues

ENCORE (was not planned, Viola Lee is a desirable closer)

Unbroken Chain >
Let's See Action >
Layla (Coda)
Long Live Rock

#21119  by acidrain30005

Last time my band played live, we played while another band was taking a break.

Blitzkrieg Bop(Ramones)
The Forest Spirit(Original)
Whiteboy Groove(Original)>
Black Hurricane Suite(Original)
In My Dreams(Original)
Viola Lee Blues.

Our next gig is coming up soon and we will probably play most of the originals and we've been working on some covers including:

The Weight
Ohio
Rockin' in the Free World

I've also written a jam in an F# mixolydian scale that we will probably play.

#21139  by strumminsix

Like many here my band is playing to a bar crowd first and Deadheads secondly. That said we had to keep things moving and we got a very warm reception with this...

Here's ours from last Saturday. The bar wanted 3 ~50 minute sets.

Set I
Bertha
Me & My Uncle >
Big River
Mr. Charlie
Cassidy
Big Railroad Blues
Get Back on the Train
The Music Never Stopped

Set II
Throwin' Stones
Scarlet >
Fire on the Mountain
Around & Around
Alabama Getaway>
Promised Land
Deal
One Way Out

Set III
Shakedown Street
NFA>
Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad>
I Need a Miracle>
Jam>
NFA
Franklin 's Tower

Encore
One More Saturday Night

#21145  by d-v-s

shakedown_04092 wrote:Doug -

shakedown, thanks for answering my question. I've always wondered about this one. I've never seen anybody play this, besides the dead, even at trippy college parties, etc, where you want the most psychadelic songs cuz you know that 90% of your audience is spacing. I was just wondering if Dark Star was reserved for the dead only.

I can totally see your point about being a "bar pleaser," though. Unless you're playing a jazz bar, you're not gonna get too many patrons sitting through 20 minutes of weirdness.