#174894  by Darkstar860

I had a question for ya'll. What thickness picks do you use ? Do you follow the thick pic Jerry or do you use a pick that works for you ?

I use 50mm on acoustics if im the main strummer or .60mm for if im gonna be doing more leads.

I use 72mm and 88mm for electric, once again which one i use is based on what my job is overall for the night.

I was just curious what yall were using.
 #174896  by lbpesq

I used Dunlop .88 Tortex picks for 15-20 years. (The green ones with the turtle). Then someone gave me a thick Adamas graphite pick. That got me assembling a bunch of picks and trying them out, back to back. I was amazed at the difference a pick can make! I wound up settling on a Telefunken graphite enriched Deltin 1.6 mm triangle pick.

Bill, tgo
 #174912  by Chocol8

I find that I prefer a certain stiffness more than thickness, so the size varies with material. I am currently playing a lot of 1.5mm Gravity "Colored Gold"
 #174928  by Searing75

2mm graphite Adamas. Or, a 2mm plastic pick if the graphite is giving me too much static.
 #174929  by Jon S.

For years if not couple of decades, I used Adamas and Telefunken 2.0mm graphite picks almost exclusively. My experience the past several years recording my own music has both reinforced these picks' excellence and influenced me to broaden my pick horizons into a variety of alternative depths and materials. In particular, for acoustic guitar and electric rhythm work, I've found that much thinner picks give me a, for lack of a better word, a zingy-er tone and feel. At the same time, there's something beautiful and special about the 2.0mm graphite picks, particularly in their unique-sounding initial attack. So, I guess my bottom line these days is that when it comes to picks, it's definitely not one-size-fits-all - match the pick to the guitar and application.
Darkstar860, lbpesq liked this
 #174930  by Darkstar860

Jon S. wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:20 am For years if not couple of decades, I used Adamas and Telefunken 2.0mm graphite picks almost exclusively. My experience the past several years recording my own music has both reinforced these picks' excellence and influenced me to broaden my pick horizons into a variety of alternative depths and materials. In particular, for acoustic guitar and electric rhythm work, I've found that much thinner picks give me a, for lack of a better word, a zingy-er tone and feel. At the same time, there's something beautiful and special about the 2.0mm graphite picks, particularly in their unique-sounding initial attack. So, I guess my bottom line these days is that when it comes to picks, it's definitely not one-size-fits-all - match the pick to the guitar and application.

I concur ! :-) :cool: :cool:
Jon S. liked this
 #174952  by D_L_M

For years I used a Dava Control Nylon. Now I use either a Clayton acetal teardrop in at least 1mm or a jazz shaped Dunlop stubby, which are the clearish purple ones in 2.0.
 #174989  by Mando_Nate

D_L_M wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:37 pm For years I used a Dava Control Nylon. Now I use either a Clayton acetal teardrop in at least 1mm or a jazz shaped Dunlop stubby, which are the clearish purple ones in 2.0.
I Second the Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm. Ive used them for years with my acoustic and electric mandolins.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/big-stubby-pick-2-00mm/
 #175032  by wleeds

adamas 2.0 electric - also just tried a new one (un played) recently on the corner instead of tip on acoustic and i'm liking it. i wish the graphics weren't as close to the edge though

Bluechip TD80 and TPR60 on acoustic - the TD80 is also cool on electric