#174758  by nopunin10dead

I was watching a stream of one of this summer's final Dead&Co. shows. In a closeup of Bob at the mic, I could see his spare pick holder on the mic boom. It had two extremely thick picks there that looked to be made from mineral/stone. A light bulb went off: I can hear the roughness of the pick in his initial attack. Particularly on the wound strings, the "scraping" sound is pronounced. That attack is followed by the string tone and the Vox amp tone. (I also noticed that his high end has been tamed, finally!)
The attack reminds me of a similar effect I've heard when using a Billy Gibbons-approved quarter (yes, the coin) or other rough-textured picks that a guitarist friend has had me try.
Just my observation...
strumminsix, cplayer2 liked this
 #174761  by lbpesq

At 1/8”, that’s a pretty thick pick! During the Pandemic, I switched from the Dunlop Tortex .88 (green ones) I’d been using for over 20 years to the much stiffer Telefunken 1.6 graphite (big triangle). When I really spent some time comparing picks, I was surprised at the difference in tone from different picks. The Bobby connection always peaks my interest … not enough to get the “Real Deal” pedal, but for ten bucks with shipping, I’ll bite. Went ahead and ordered one.

Bill, tgo
 #174762  by Jon S.

I first met Vinni about a decade ago and have been using his picks for many years. I have about a dozen different types of v-picks but prefer the blue Traditionals which are my acoustic guitar go-to's. This is my first time hearing of the GOAT. I have no desire for my picking to mimic Weir's but I love experimenting with picks generally - you never know what you'll discover - so I just copped one, too.
 #174765  by Chocol8

I might give one a try, but I have found 2 mm to be about my max and I prefer 1.5's these days. Mostly playing some Gravity Gold 1.5's I picked up on a clearance sale. I also got some thicker acrylic's with the set but I do not like the feel or the sound nearly as much which probably means I won't be a GOAT fan either, but heck might as well give it a try right?
 #174766  by Jon S.

The only way to go outside of our comfort zones is to go outside of our comfort zones.
Chocol8 liked this
 #174769  by lbpesq

My G.O.A.T pick gets here on Monday. I seem to be in a “try new things” mode lately. I just picked up a set of Thomastik-Infeld Blues Sliders and put them in my #1 last night. Never tried them before.

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #174770  by Gr8fulCadi

That’s all I use are Thomastik Blues Sliders. Awesome strings and last a long time too.
 #174780  by Jon S.

I received my GOAT today. All I can say is I'm absolutely flabbergasted. I think this is the most unique sounding pick I've ever used.
 #174781  by lbpesq

Jon S. wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:50 pm I received my GOAT today. All I can say is I'm absolutely flabbergasted. I think this is the most unique sounding pick I've ever used.

Unique good? Unique bad? Just unique different? Inquiring minds want to know! (Or I can wait until Monday when mine is supposed to arrive).

Bill, tgo
 #174784  by Jon S.

I was hoping no one would ask for the specifics! It's hard to explain but I'll try. The new pick, for me, at least, increases treble response and chime, almost in, for lack of a better analogy, in a sitar-like way. The effect isn't huge but it is significant. I will say the extent to which it does will depend on how you hold and use the pick. If you use a sort of scraping motion like what I think the OP described regarding Bob's use of it, the small bumps on the pick hit the string in a rapid, sequential way. I think this is what is emphasizing, to my, ear the strings' higher order overtones to produce the effect I imperfectly described. And BTW, the effect isn't necessarily as a Dead-like one. Use this pick only if you'd also consider an Eastman ETB500. :lol: Finally, I'm not finding it at all uncomfortable to hold and use. If (like me) you're comfortable with Adamas and Telefunken 2.0 mm graphite picks, I predict you'll be copacetic with this one, too.
Chocol8 liked this
 #174793  by nopunin10dead

Wow, thanks for discovering the pick in question! After reading Jon's user report, I might have to try one. Can't wait to hear from the next users. I've been using Dunlop Delrin 2.0 mm on electrics for 5+ years, after staying at 1.2 mm for a long time. Good brightness, and the thickness is good. Occasionally, I bust out the 2.0 mm Adamas graphite Jerry pick. (On acoustic, using a thinner but great-sounding—especially in the trebles—Blue Chip 50, which is maybe 1 or 1.25 mm. I noticed a couple of years ago that Blue Chips are on John Mayer's mic stand.)

For strings, I prefer the Pyramid round core: long-lasting tone; great feel and smooth elasticity; the round core makes a huge difference over hex core, IMHO.