When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #17459  by bodiddley

Does anyone know if Jerry hung out with DeadHeads at all? I remember seeing a pic of him in RELIX a long time ago in what looked to be a hotel hot tub with Jer and mostly a bunch of beautiful DeadHead looking chicks. Was this just a fluke or what.

I also am interested in the deal with him and Manasha, who he had a child with. From my understanding she was a DeadHead and legally changed her last name to Garcia even though Jer never married her but I've read they had a relationship for a few years. Was she just a groupie he knocked up then felt guilty about it afterwards? There is very little written about that relationship. I just find it hard to believe Jer would want to have a long term relationship with a fan. Who knows, maybe she gave some tremendous head or something. Thoughts anyone?

#17461  by BlobWeird

Umm if my memory serves me correctly, which it prolly doesnt lol, then Jer did in fact marry her

#17463  by confusions_prince

Manasha Matheson Garcia lived with Garcia for six years from 1987 on. Their daughter, Keelin, was born in December 1987. On Dec. 30, 1992, Matheson, who had her name legally changed to Garcia, says Jerry kissed her, told her he loved her, left the house and never came back. She says he sometimes phoned Keelin but never visited her again.
http://www.sfmission.com/famous/jerry_garcia.htm

#17466  by Banjomike0319

No, Jerry did not marrie Manasha. He met her on tour when she was just 14, after her following him on tour for a while and them hanging out back stage she became pregnet.

He actually suggested to M.G.(moutain girl) that Manasha to move in with him and M.G.

heh thats crazy huh, instead she followed him on the road for a while then they took a break while she was having the child. Jerry told her that he was going to be in full contact with this child and that he was verry disapointed in himself that he did spend as much time as he should of with M.G.'s children that he had with her.

In my opinion Manasha was one of the best things that happend to Jerry. She was verry supportive of him getting back in contact with Sarah I believe his first wife, if I'm wrong sorry then its his second. Any way Manasha was verry verry supportive of him even in his bad late years of his drug problems.

#17467  by shakedown_04092

I remember listening to a clip (on the archive) where Jer is giving an interview to some guy and some heads knock on the door and Jer invites them in, chats with them, and puffs down with them. That last part was actually pretty funny, because one of the heads rolled up a fatty, handed it to Jerry, an you can hear him take a hit and then start coughing, snarfing, etc. He was like "Holy shit, what is that stuff man?" and the head was like "it's from northern California..." and say something else, like he got it from a buddy or something. Priceless Jerry.

They also asked him about some venues, and they talked about some songs (I think Althea was one of them)

#17469  by revned_04

do you know where i could find that interview, it sounds sick.

#17475  by ker1227

i have that interview, i will try and find it, i remember the coughing and the phone rang alot. I think its from around 1980 or so. I also have one where brent interviews the band and it is hilarious. Search interview at archive.org and you might find it

#17491  by broomhead

From the mid 80's on the band and Jerry in partiular were very encapsulated from outsiders. Prior to that and on occasions after that running into a band member here and there was pretty common. Everybody seems to have a hotel bar room story w/billy from that era...;lol jb
 #138787  by uramiracle2

Just to shed some light here: In 1975, around the time Blues for Allah was being created, Garcia met Deborah Koons, the woman who would much later become his third wife and widow.[18] He began seeing her while he was still involved with Adams, with whom Koons had a less-than-perfect relationship. Garcia and Adams eventually went different ways.

In Chicago during the autumn of 1978, Jerry Garcia began a long friendship with artist, Manasha Matheson. In August of 1990, Jerry and Manasha married in San Anselmo, California in a spiritual ceremony, free of legal convention. They shared a family home together in California with their daughter, Keelin Noel Garcia. [59] Jerry dedicated his first art book (J. Garcia: Paintings, Drawings and Sketches) to Manasha:

"For Manasha, with love, Jerry" [60]
Wiki
 #138789  by Grateful Dad

Back circa 1980 after a show friends of mine knew where the band was staying in town and after the show took a case of Heineken with them, knocked on the door, were invited in, and ended up talking and partying with Jerry and other members of the band. This was before the scene got waaay out of hand and the band was still accessible to fans who just treated them as ordinary people. Unfortunately one of my friends that met Jerry that night passed away several years ago, but I remember how he used to love to tell the story of meeting Jerry and how hospitable he was.
 #138794  by tatittle

If I recall correctly Manasha was into health food etc. and she helped Garcia recouperate after his coma in '86. Judging by the fruit their efforts paid off well, as he had some great years of playing after that (of course nature did most of the work). I believe Garcia was seeing an acupuncturist during this time as well.
 #138799  by tatittle

Modern medicine obviously has great benefits and has improved/extended many lives, but I have also seen people die or be disabled as a result of following the advice of doctors...not uncommon in my experience scary as that is. Bottom line is one needs to get educated and make informed decisions for themselves. Any medical procedure/prescriptions has serious risks which need to be measured against the possible benefits. Even if a cardiologist would have been able to help him (and the pills they prescribe didn't do more harm than good via side effects etc.), the patient still has to follow through with recommendations. Alas many view medicine as mysterious and almost magical, and thus doctors as infallible miracle workers...and then their the 1st to sue when their naïve fantasies are shattered; as if a procedure failure by definition means there was negligence. Man doesn't have power over life and death..or even knowledge of its mechanisms, to the extent that mindset assumes.

I do think there is some truth to what a 100 yr old lady said when asked how she lived so long: "I stay away from doctors" :P