#172537  by strumminsix

What an incredible find and a fantastic story. What's even better is that it looks like it's been played and loved for 50 years!!!

I'm not gonna jump into a big, long, over discussed (fought) post but it's important to say this... Lieber has been accused by many of overstating his position under Doug and exaggerating his accomplishments during that era.

No matter, he makes some cool looking instruments. I talked with him about this one years ago but never could make it work...
ryanhostetler liked this
 #172550  by lbpesq

strumminsix wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:33 pm Image
Thomas Lieber wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:44 am This guitar is called the Firedrake...it was a combination of the Garcia and the Pendulous designs!
best,
Tom

I don’t see much of Irwin’s design in this one. It reminds me more of the wonderful, somewhat rare, Daion 555 Headhunter.

Bill, tgo

#172551  by strumminsix

lbpesq wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:00 am
strumminsix wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:33 pm I don’t see much of Irwin’s design in this one. It reminds me more of the wonderful, somewhat rare, Daion 555 Headhunter.

Bill, tgo

The guitar i posted was his Spellbinder. Think he's telling the name/model of the guitar from page 1
 #172553  by TI4-1009

lbpesq wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:29 pm Either way, I take anything he claims with a large grain of salt.

Bill, tgo
Maybe so..... maybe not. Neither of us were there.

https://www.lieberguitars.com/blog/garc ... gin-story/
 #172554  by lbpesq

True, but Doug was. And a friend of mine was there on a few occasions. Finally, Lieber once contacted me, unsolicited, about a guitar I was thought might be an Irwin. He emphatically insisted that Doug never made a bolt-on guitar. Around that time I also received some cool pics (from a different source) of a bolt-on Tele style guitar that Doug built.

Bill, tgo
ryanhostetler liked this
 #173933  by Dave M

Thomas Lieber wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:44 am This guitar is called the Firedrake...it was a combination of the Garcia and the Pendulous designs!

best,
Tom
Hello Tom Lieber!
I am glad to have found a way to write to you.
I believe you are the builder to who my friend Jim sent a bunch of pictures of the guitar and you gave Jim a brief early history of the guitar. you wrote in mid October, 2020.
I was heart broken for a while. I needed time to absorb your news.
I am worried that despite having bought the guitar from Guitar Center in Hollywood, in reality I should not have been able to buy it and despite loving it for fifty years, I don't know what to do now.
Jim can't connect with Doug Irwin anymore. I suspect he is mad at maybe me. I want to do the right thing without going into too much explanation.
Can we speak about it through Jim in a more private way?
 #173936  by TI4-1009

Dave M wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:53 am

best,
Tom
Hello Tom Lieber!
I am glad to have found a way to write to you.
I believe you are the builder to who my friend Jim sent a bunch of pictures of the guitar and you gave Jim a brief early history of the guitar. you wrote in mid October, 2020.
I was heart broken for a while. I needed time to absorb your news.
I am worried that despite having bought the guitar from Guitar Center in Hollywood, in reality I should not have been able to buy it and despite loving it for fifty years, I don't know what to do now.
Jim can't connect with Doug Irwin anymore. I suspect he is mad at maybe me. I want to do the right thing without going into too much explanation.
Can we speak about it through Jim in a more private way?
https://www.lieberguitars.com/